IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
@FreshFromATL thanks for dropping $ knowledge in here.

I started out in digital marketing doing simple seo jobs

worked my way up to a job handing paid search campaigns / google analytics data

I know analytics / data analysis is where the big money is, now exploring the field further. Can't wait to play with tableau, and eventually be able to put it on my linkedin profile, along with sql skills.

any worthwhile analytics certifications you can recommend? ones that will get you headhunted?

I don't have any certs bruh but I have thought about getting a Tableau Desktop Certification however, I've just been stalling on it. If you're an individual with great SQL skills, can work on the front-end building out visualizations, and work with the BI tools in-between, you will be golden.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Man I been struggling hard with powershell scripting and DSC, was up till about 3 last night trying to wrap my head around around this shyt.
I watched like 2 hours of Teched on youtube :shaq2: just went to bed pissed off I felt like a dumbass :flabbynsick:
I woke up this morning and it all made sense :gladbron:
In theory :whoa:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Man I been struggling hard with powershell scripting and DSC, was up till about 3 last night trying to wrap my head around around this shyt.
I watched like 2 hours of Teched on youtube :shaq2: just went to bed pissed off I felt like a dumbass :flabbynsick:
I woke up this morning and it all made sense :gladbron:
In theory :whoa:

What problem you running into?

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What problem you running into?

I just wasn't understanding the concept .There was one diagram I was staring at for like 10 minutes :mindblown:

After some time ...longer that it should have been :pachaha:basically how I understand it resources are nested in nodes, nodes are nested in the config file. After running you create a MOF file which you then call with DSCConfig. <<< Don't even ask me how it was so hard for me to understand this :francis:
I wrote something to install IIS which was fine, I now want to do the same thing but for pull :lupe:

As far as powershell goes I just cant remember anything :francis: Like do people actually remember this shyt in production? :francis:

I think I was just tired last night though :mjlol: I read the same shyt as I did last night this morning and it just clicked :skip:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
:heh: totally forgot to reply to this post.

I got my A+, CCNA, and the Windows XP MCSE exam then got my 1st gig doing help desk. I stayed for 2.5 years, then started doing contract work. Got into security, got my CISSP and CCNP Security and I've been pawgin ever since :whew:

Guess this is why I'm not in IT, A+ and 2 year ain't enough, I work for a school and they don't even interview me, need more certs.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Guess this is why I'm not in IT, A+ and 2 year ain't enough, I work for a school and they don't even interview me, need more certs.
Its not really that. You cats are trying to get desktop support/ system admin jobs with no help desk experience. I would recommend checking out your local call centers and see if they have any type of help desk support gigs and work that job for a year or 2

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
Udemy $10 sasle on all courses! Hurry yall.

udemy has courses on almost evyer single IT and online media related subject possible

edit: these can cost $299 and $399 a pop, so they're really worthwhile to browse through today. great, great site for self-taught professional skills.

i picked up this:
https://www.udemy.com/datascience/

Last edited:

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
I'm thinking about taking the security+. This tier 1 job that I applied for turned me away because of my lack of experience, but they told me to reapply after I got 6 months of experience at my current help desk job. This job provides tech support for one of the biggest air force bases in the nation and the interviewer name dropped sec+ as a good future cert, so attaining it would solidify me as a top candidate. That cert price tho..:mjcry:

I think I'll get the COMPTIA bundle that comes with the retake voucher and online training. If I start studying now I'll be ready to take the test by April, and that would mark 6 months at my current job.

If everything falls into place...:wow:

Daps
Reppin
MD
I'm thinking about taking the security+. This tier 1 job that I applied for turned me away because of my lack of experience, but they told me to reapply after I got 6 months of experience at my current help desk job. This job provides tech support for one of the biggest air force bases in the nation and the interviewer name dropped sec+ as a good future cert, so attaining it would solidify me as a top candidate. That cert price tho..:mjcry:

I think I'll get the COMPTIA bundle that comes with the retake voucher and online training. If I start studying now I'll be ready to take the test by April, and that would mark 6 months at my current job.

If everything falls into place...:wow:
Security+ is not that hard, just remember when taking the exam to reread the question twice or maybe three times.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Pick an OS (Windows or Linux) and learn all of it's networking features. Also learn the infrastructure side (routers, switches, etc). Then take the CISSP and learn about security concepts. If you have less than 5 years of exp, take the Sec+. By year 5 you'll be :eat:

You think it helps that I got Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator certs? I was in Animation before switching my major over to Network Security.