IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Say breh, what are the best certs to begin with, to help launch a career?
PROTIP: For those wondering which certs to get, best way to figure this out is to search the jobs in your area that you want to get to and see what certs they are asking for. If its a+, get that. If its CCNA, get that. Which cert is best will always vary depending on your experience, where you live, the role you want, etc. No sense in getting a cert and no jobs are asking for it. So do the research and see what they want.

Even better, once you have a few certs, search for different combinations of certs. See what pairs well with other certs to get you to that next role.

Cheers brehs. Happy New Years!

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just make sure you have a decent understanding of Active Directory and basic networking and you should be good. :ehh:

Junior security admin sounds like you'll spend a lot of time creating AD groups/containers, dealing with passwords, messing with permissions, and maybe dealing with the firewall.
:ohhh: you only need that level of experience with ad? seems easy

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
like to kick start my journey into IT. I'm interested in the Security sector and although i don't have a IT background, should i be applying to Help Desk or Desktop Support positions? I have a basic understanding of some computer terminologies.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Does it make sense to pay for the CCNA at a local school? I'm thinking it may help with job assistance.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
where my digital marketing brehs at. got a stack of certs lined up to attack in the new year.

Google analytics / AdWords
double click
Marin
sizemek

I'm learning about digital marketing right now. I have an adwords, twitter, and facebook campaigns set to run tomorrow.

Still trying to figure this shyt out

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
That's a reasonable price. Depend on the materials included though :jbhmm:

I think it's supposed to be like a college course. They lecture on the material and have parts in class for the students to see. By the end of the course they should be able to install windows, build a computer, do basic troubleshooting, etc. Basically everything covered in the book

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I think it's supposed to be like a college course. They lecture on the material and have parts in class for the students to see. By the end of the course they should be able to install windows, build a computer, do basic troubleshooting, etc. Basically everything covered in the book

That sounds pretty complete to me :tu: and reasonably priced, especially if you're walking them through the labs etc

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does it make sense to pay for the CCNA at a local school? I'm thinking it may help with job assistance.

How much does the CCNA course cost? I don't know of any school with job placement worth a damn. You would be better off befriending someone already working in IT with some pull.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
where my digital marketing brehs at. got a stack of certs lined up to attack in the new year.

Google analytics / AdWords
double click
Marin
sizemek

I'm currently using Google Analytics data at one of my jobs now with no previous experience with Google Analytics. It isn't that difficult to understand.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Trying to do a little somethin with adwords too.
I tried to generate traffic organically but :francis: my competition got bullshyt backlinks too. Gonna try some cpc.

/

On topic I passed my 70 410. Half way through 411 then 412 by feb I hope. Though I would track back and do CCNP but I find servers more interesting :yeshrug:

Likely to go straight for MCSE, really Im just tryna get to the money at top speed but I guess it helps to enjoy it too :ehh:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
How much does the CCNA course cost? I don't know of any school with job placement worth a damn. You would be better off befriending someone already working in IT with some pull.