IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Naw I'm serious. What lab do you need for the a+ class?

CompTIA A+ Training - 1 Year

I bought this lab which was required for the A+ courses that I had completed three years ago. This is all you need to be prepared for the exam. It comes with training sessions, hands-on-lab simulation, study materials, test questions, and practice exams. You get all this for $349.00 for one year. That's all you need to be prepared for the A+ exam. It's worth the money. I bought a few more labs with my school voucher--Security+, Configuring Window 7, and Network+-- to keep my skills sharped. Whenever I need to figure out some issues or need to configure a setting on the operating system, I Iogin to my Testout account.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the simulations are probably for the command line questions and they also throw in PC builds in the exam too. In my honest opinion if you're going to take a course on anything do it for the cisco or windows pieces. The comptia A+ you should be good with self study

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
You can't never go wrong with Testout.com.
Like you I have multiple testout labs i.e. Linux+, Network+, PCPro, Cisco CCNA(200-120), Security+. Up next is the MCSA(70-410) lab

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Like you I have multiple testout labs i.e. Linux+, Network+, PCPro, Cisco CCNA(200-120), Security+. Up next is the MCSA(70-410) lab
You have all the advanced courses :whoo:The Cisco Testout course is a beast. :merchant: How long did it took you to complete the Cisco course?:ld:

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
You have all the advanced courses :whoo:The Cisco Testout course is a beast. :merchant: How long did it took you to complete the Cisco course?:ld:
Yeah, I was trying to finish the network program at my school. They push testout heavy,I pay $89 for each lab and its good for 18 months.I haven't finished the Cisco course yet. I have one more semester, I like it over the Cisco academy, the testout Cisco course along with pluralsight.com is to supplement the training of Cisco Academy. The professor closes access to the Cisco classes after the course finishes, which sucks because you can't go back if you miss something unlike testout. The Cisco Academy are (4) 8 week classes which are too fast for me.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Yeah, I was trying to finish the network program at my school. They push testout heavy,I pay $89 for each lab and its good for 18 months.I haven't finished the Cisco course yet. I have one more semester, I like it over the Cisco academy, the testout Cisco course along with pluralsight.com is to supplement the training of Cisco Academy. The professor closes access to the Cisco classes after the course finishes, which sucks because you can't go back if you miss something unlike testout. The Cisco Academy are (4) 8 week classes which are too fast for me.
I pay the same price $89.00 through my school as well for the courses. My cousin gave me his password to his Testout account, and I completed only 2 modules in the Cisco lab. I have 15 more modules left to complete the lab. The Cisco lab can be very tedious. You need to at least 3-4 hours of your time to complete a module. Beside that, I love the lab. If anybody wants to enter the IT field in computer networking, they can purchase a Testout course without attending an expensive school.

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
It seems like all the certs here are on the hardware end. Are there any certs on the more programming/software end and are any of them worth it?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
It seems like all the certs here are on the hardware end. Are there any certs on the more programming/software end and are any of them worth it?

I haven't taken any on the programming/software development end but I would imagine that they're not that credible. In that line of work people are usually much more interested in your portfolio(read: Github)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Got an interview tuesday for a Junior Security Admin :ohwow2:

Honestly Im nervous as hell cause i have no clue what kinda questions the security admin is gonna ask me :russ: :lupe: Im sitting here looking at this CCNA security book like

2149832_o.gif

Breh musta saw the CCNA on the resume on said "he looks good enough :troll:"

I looked up the dude interviewing me he's a brother hopefully he aint on his:mjpls:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Honestly Im nervous as hell cause i have no clue what kinda questions the security admin is gonna ask me :russ: :lupe: Im sitting here looking at this CCNA security book like

2149832_o.gif

I looked up the dude interviewing me he's a brother hopefully he aint on his:mjpls:

Just make sure you have a decent understanding of Active Directory and basic networking and you should be good. :ehh:

Junior security admin sounds like you'll spend a lot of time creating AD groups/containers, dealing with passwords, messing with permissions, and maybe dealing with the firewall.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Just make sure you have a decent understanding of Active Directory and basic networking and you should be good. :ehh:

Junior security admin sounds like you'll spend a lot of time creating AD groups/containers, dealing with passwords, messing with permissions, and maybe dealing with the firewall.

Yeah in the job description i noticed it mentioned making sure groups had correct policies, password resets etc. So i assumed this was AD

I am going to have to play around with AD again to refresh my memory

Daps

2149832_o.gif

Review this if you have time. no need to know all of it. But its a nice overview of security stuff.
http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/Images/CISSP_Summary_V1.1.pdf

Last edited: