IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Bugatti Biceps

Supreme Hacker
Daps
Reppin
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn NY
:ohhh:you didn't mention MCSA. Is it a waste of time for some in college. Im thinking about getting it

I didn't mention it because once I saw you had to take like 3127463974 prerequiste certs for it, I knew Windows admin work wasn't for me. Plus when you realize how broken MS is from a security standpoint (as in, most sysadmins don't know how to secure their network worth a shyt) I went Linux admin day 1. Plus its a much much easier career progression path going Linux with the money being there from the jump.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I didn't mention it because once I saw you had to take like 3127463974 prerequiste certs for it, I knew Windows admin work wasn't for me. Plus when you realize how broken MS is from a security standpoint (as in, most sysadmins don't know how to secure their network worth a shyt) I went Linux admin day 1. Plus its a much much easier career progression path going Linux with the money being there from the jump.

but... RCHE has more requirements than the MCSA

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
:ohhh:How do you put coursework on your resume, what does it look like because I'll be doing a Network administrating course where we'll be doing AD, ACL etc. and I want to figure how to I put that on

Just include a brief summary of what the class was, then, elaborate on what you did in it by describing whatever projects or assignments you had to do. Don't bother including all the stuff you did; only include the most challenging stuff and/or the assignments you learned the most from.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Yeah but you need 5 years experience in security to actually get certified even if you pass the CISSP. Best thing is to get your Security+ and some sysadmin certs. If you don't want to have to take 8472384 Windows certs just to get there, you can always knock out an RHCSA and RHCE and jump right to a sysadmin role and skip that helpdesk shyt nikkas push on here.
I have 5 years

Theabbot

#DemBootymeats
Daps
Reppin
Duuuuuvaaaaal!!
You collecting unemployment? Did they give you a severance package?
Gonna file unemployment tomorrow. Yeah they gave me a package. 3 months salary. Plus my final regular paycheck and pto balance (90 hours). I'm gonna try to find something as quick as possible so that I can bank that cash instead of living off of it.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna file unemployment tomorrow. Yeah they gave me a package. 3 months salary. Plus my final regular paycheck and pto balance (90 hours). I'm gonna try to find something as quick as possible so that I can bank that cash instead of living off of it.

Sounds like a plan:ehh:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
All I have on it is my coursework and two internships I've had, but most of it is dedicated to my coursework.

It has been getting me interviews frequently enough, but the hard part for me has been actually landing the job after the interview. What pushed me over the edge this time were high scores on talent evaluation tests and a recommendation from someone that works in the company.

Now go in there and show out. Props bruh!

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I'm losing hope brehs, I think it may be the end for me, my heart is weak and I'm very depressed. I'm old and mostly uneducated, it may be a wrap for me today.

I can't even do a resume, my jobs are mostly menial shyt jobs that require little skill.

I think it's about 98% over. May be time to log off for good and just commit to that or get professional help.
It's NEVER that serious