IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
We eating breh? :lupe:

tumblr_mk3jqeuGJa1ry3vyko1_500.gif

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
what your resume look like :jbhmm:

All I have on it is my coursework and two internships I've had, but most of it is dedicated to my coursework.

It has been getting me interviews frequently enough, but the hard part for me has been actually landing the job after the interview. What pushed me over the edge this time were high scores on talent evaluation tests and a recommendation from someone that works in the company.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
All I have on it is my coursework and two internships I've had, but most of it is dedicated to my coursework.

It has been getting me interviews frequently enough, but the hard part for me has been actually landing the job after the interview. What pushed me over the edge this time were high scores on talent evaluation tests and a recommendation from someone that works in the company.

:ohhh:How do you put coursework on your resume, what does it look like because I'll be doing a Network administrating course where we'll be doing AD, ACL etc. and I want to figure how to I put that on

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just got downsized/laid off from a decent paying sys admin job. :to:Gonna take a few days off, regroup, then hit the market in beast mode. I guess I can use this free time to learn some new skills tho.

How long were you employed?

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I'm losing hope brehs, I think it may be the end for me, my heart is weak and I'm very depressed. I'm old and mostly uneducated, it may be a wrap for me today.

I can't even do a resume, my jobs are mostly menial shyt jobs that require little skill.

I think it's about 98% over. May be time to log off for good and just commit to that or get professional help.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I just got downsized/laid off from a decent paying sys admin job. :to:Gonna take a few days off, regroup, then hit the market in beast mode. I guess I can use this free time to learn some new skills tho.

are you in the DMV? There's thousands of sys admin jobs here. Them DMV certs boys probably eating so good :wow:

Bugatti Biceps

Supreme Hacker
Daps
Reppin
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn NY
Tired of trying to be pideon holed into Helpdesk positions :beli:

Might take off Nov & Dec to knock out Powershell & My CISSP, ima show they p*ssy ass

D0sewyX.gif

Yeah but you need 5 years experience in security to actually get certified even if you pass the CISSP. Best thing is to get your Security+ and some sysadmin certs. If you don't want to have to take 8472384 Windows certs just to get there, you can always knock out an RHCSA and RHCE and jump right to a sysadmin role and skip that helpdesk shyt nikkas push on here.

Bugatti Biceps

Supreme Hacker
Daps
Reppin
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn NY
I would say the biggest tip I could tell anyone is: learn how to write code, even if its just bash/powershell automation scripting. It sets you apart from most sysadmins and gives your career a hefty boost, plus it makes it easier to move into DevOps which is where the field is heading. I can tell you from personal experience that even using configuration management tools such as Puppet or Chef (which means you have to learn Ruby) is much easier when you have a base to work off of. Spending my free time learning Python and Bash scripting in my first year of IT work paid dividends in my next couple of jobs.

Plus if you want to go security, its a must.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Yeah but you need 5 years experience in security to actually get certified even if you pass the CISSP. Best thing is to get your Security+ and some sysadmin certs. If you don't want to have to take 8472384 Windows certs just to get there, you can always knock out an RHCSA and RHCE and jump right to a sysadmin role and skip that helpdesk shyt nikkas push on here.

:ohhh:you didn't mention MCSA. Is it a waste of time for some in college. Im thinking about getting it