IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
Anyone have CCNA? I'm about ready to start studying for this cert. I don't have any networking experience (well, not on paper) but I need that bread. Is this a HUGE plus? Or should I just stick with the net+ first ? I have only A+ right now and I use my skills daily for my job- @bdizzle

@ottorocket I have my A+ (finished it up in 2013 before the 801-802 phase popped in :whew:). Currently working as a pc tech. If you need help with anything, pm me. Professor Messor on youtube helped a lot

Last edited:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Anyone self-studying for the A+ cert right now?

I am. I don't know how others that've already gone through it feel, but my suggestion is to get your hands on as much info as you can. I bought Mike Myer's book and that's my main study guide, but I downloaded another and skim through it for any additional information. My job also offers some training materials, take advantage of that if you have the opportunit. I'm Making flash cards, taking notes, verbalizing what I've learned in personal essays. I'm still going thru it of course, but I wanna make sure I know my shyt and am able to prove it when it comes time for interviews. I plan on making this my study method for all certs I pursue, should it be successful. Hope this helps :manny:

semtex

:)
Daps
Are there any architect-level or at least principal level devs here? Do yall think big data is just a fad or is it worth learning?

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
The title of this thread should be the "Networking/Security careers" :mjlol:
I'm just getting started and wanted to know how long do you think it should take before I start applying for jobs?

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are there any architect-level or at least principal level devs here? Do yall think big data is just a fad or is it worth learning?

big data/data science is here to stay but certain fads with specific technology/tools e:g hadoop would come and go. if you really want to get into it learn to code (you already do) and learn some of the techniques.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The thing with big data is knowing what your doing with this data and making sure you're translating it correctly for end users. Too many people are designers who don't know how to prep data correctly, or are technical people who know about databases and maybe even prepping data, but don't design correctly. If you can't do one part of the process, please get someone who can (until u can learn, of course). The end users will be much happier, and IT will be much happier.

My tool of choice is Qlikview cause I can do data prep in there and I can actually use my web development skills. I hear Tableau is really popular for self service BI though. And Excel seems to have gotten an upgrade from MS.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The thing with big data is knowing what your doing with this data and making sure you're translating it correctly for end users. Too many people are designers who don't know how to prep data correctly, or are technical people who know about databases and maybe even prepping data, but don't design correctly. If you can't do one part of the process, please get someone who can (until u can learn, of course). The end users will be much happier, and IT will be much happier.

My tool of choice is Qlikview cause I can do data prep in there and I can actually use my web development skills. I hear Tableau is really popular for self service BI though. And Excel seems to have gotten an upgrade from MS.
I always see tableau on BI jobs, I plan on taking a BI class as an elective to get hip