IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got helpdesk experience and going back to school next month for computing hopefully i shall eat when i finish my degree really want to get into IT Sec

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Giving up that fap life for good, shyt been KILLING my cert game.:wow:

Security+ getting dealt with saturday, have all day at work to study now since our project is almost done and we barely get tickets.

Then taking off a month or two and handling that CISSP and learning Spanish :win:

Virtuous_Brotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Giving up that fap life for good, shyt been KILLING my cert game.:wow:

Security+ getting dealt with saturday, have all day at work to study now since our project is almost done and we barely get tickets.

Then taking off a month or two and handling that CISSP and learning Spanish :win:
i thought i was the only one with this problem,shyt kills all my motivation to study for a day or two:wow:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
i thought i was the only one with this problem,shyt kills all my motivation to study for a day or two:wow:
I went cold turkey breh, blocks on the phone and computer
Vince-Carter-Its-Over.gif

Daps
Also if you're a developer, learn hadoop. With only 2-3 years of experience, you're making 100k easy.

Hey dizzle..got a question....which book you think is best to get for home study for ccna and I need help in setting up a VM to go along with whatever book is best... I see so many VM,s and not sure which one to use...I'm about to get both a book and simulator/VM this week...:win:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I had two physical machines and they each had 1 VM so I had 4 machines to play with. This was back in 2004 when 2GB of RAM was balling so that was the best I could do :heh:

I learned AD by studying for my 2003 MCSE. If you wanna learn go for the 2012 MCSE. Here's the link to the cert on Microsoft's site:

MCSE: Server Infrastructure | Microsoft

This is the AD shyt MS says you'll be able to do by the time you get the cert:

As your going through the book, have a VM up and just follow along. It literally walks you through everything and teaches you how it works and why. I can let you know right now you put that on a resume and you got 3-5 years experience and you probably gotta 80k/yr skillset. Get your CISSP and you're at 115k easy. Congrats, you're in the 6 figure 6 cert club :blessed:

For Powershell I used this site:

Windows PowerShell Tutorial - Introduction Microsoft's new scripting language

I just went through it and taught myself. I'm pretty sure powershell is gonna be covered in the 2012 book, but I'd still recommend going through the tutorial on that link. The only way to learn it is to use it. so if I want to make a folder, I did it in powershell. If I wanted to create a user I did it powershell. If I wanted to know what time it was I did it in powershell. Fast forward 6 months and I'm writing 1400 line scripts for provisioning and deprovisioning users. I got so good that even though I was in security I had one of the managers over the developers stop by to offer me a job :mjlol:

And Ima keep it 100, if you know powershell you're gonna get a job. That shyt is in such high demand right now it's not even funny :wow:

Matter fact powershell was what got a nikka to 200k :brehwow2:

:ohwow2: thank you gem jones

I am currently studying for the CCNA I wanna knock it out late sep early oct

But AD & Powershell are two skills i see that would be too valuable not to master to get off this help desk bullshyt

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
@bdizzle your post was inspiring. Is the MCSA: server cert more valuable than CCNA for someone who wants to be a Network/Systems engineer in the future?

*keep in mind, I'm getting my IT degree

Last edited:
Daps
@bdizzle your post was inspiring. Is the MCSA: server cert more valuable than CCNA for someone who wants to be a Network/Systems engineer in the future?
I was thinkin the same thing bro...:patrice::patrice:....my plan was to get A+ and ccna ...then I said I'm gonna get the ccna and the mcsa one after the other...:banderas:..that way I have a wide entry foundation into the I.T field..what you think @bdizzle

Daps
Didn't see anyone showing interest.

PM me and I'll set up a gchat. I'm studying for CCIE, so I'm not really online like that, but of you're working on Cisco material...I can definitely screen share and chop it up.
Thanks for hitting me up! But I was still at work.:why:...I'm out now kid...you still up?