IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Question for any Web Developers/Designers in here...in job interviews do you do any skill based tests? If so, what kind?

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Any tips for 801?

Make sure you know all your network protocols, port numbers, how to set up a SOHO network and the differences between all the printer types. Also make sure you know all the components or standards that have more than one name, for example, IEEE 1394/FireWire . CompTia loves to use the less common names in order to trip you up.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Make sure you know all your network protocols, port numbers, how to set up a SOHO network and the differences between all the printer types. Also make sure you know all the components or standards that have more than one name, for example, IEEE 1394/FireWire . CompTia loves to use the less common names in order to trip you up.

:salute:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop:another failed phone interview. This one was for an exchange admin of approx 200,000 mailboxes. Coming from an environment of 300 mailboxes, I figured I wouldn't be a perfect candidate but :merchant: their technical questions threw me off. Thinking it might be time to give up trying to be a system admin (for now) and study this CCNA and work on the networking side:skip:

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
Yo brehs so long story short I'm still in IT off this thread my company got me learning cisco and avaya phone systems :whoa: this shyt got a breh skreesed
... but I'm going to need that paper when it's all said and done. Any brehs that work the application side of voice got any idea of certs i need and money I can be looking at. I'm already getting voice tickets now.:lupe:

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
So I'm a year away from finishing this CIS bachelors degree (a personal goal of mine). And I have been working IT Tech Support on campus for the past 7 months (equivalent to level II support).

I think I have decided I want to go the virtualization route in this IT life... what is the recommended cert path for my down time? Should I just skip A+ and start with CCNA?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
So I'm a year away from finishing this CIS bachelors degree (a personal goal of mine). And I have been working IT Tech Support on campus for the past 7 months (equivalent to level II support).

I think I have decided I want to go the virtualization route in this IT life... what is the recommended cert path for my down time? Should I just skip A+ and start with CCNA?

virtualization certs. why not start with that?

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs I think I've come to the realization that Im not a good self studier. I think I need to be in a classroom environment to learn properly. I gotta get something it going, Im dying a slow death working at the helpdesk:sadbron: I already got a+ So Im thinking Net + should be my next move but I just find the net plus stuff boring. I'm like :deadmanny: trying to read that stuff after work.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs I think I've come to the realization that Im not a good self studier. I think I need to be in a classroom environment to learn properly. I gotta get something it going, Im dying a slow death working at the helpdesk:sadbron: I already got a+ So Im thinking Net + should be my next move but I just find the net plus stuff boring. I'm like :deadmanny: trying to read that stuff after work.

Im kinda the same way, im a hands on type so i excell most in class settings where im doing actual hands on work our at most case study type stuff where i can apply my knowledge to something. Reading and trying to remember stuff never been my thing

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Id do Network+ to get a clear understanding of how networks work because the fundamentals will tie into VMware when u start working with virtual NICs and virtual networks then work my way into the VCP or whatever kind of associate cert offered by VMware. CCNA prob wouldnt hurt as you'll need to be knowledgeable in regards to VLANs