IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You should want to start out in helpdesk when breaking into IT. You have to have an understanding of how Group policy, AD, Exchange, SQL, application servers, and a plethora of other systems and networks affect the end user.

Edit: Also understanding a local pc to the registry level, how the registry can be manipulated to troubleshoot, how to command os' at the command line level.

Just my .02, I don't know of any Sysadmin, network admin, network managers that skipped starting helpdesk.

You pretty much have to start helpdesk unless you have some kind of hookup.

Nobody is trying to let some guy off the street with no IT experience into their server room. :manny:

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
What other kind of IT job do you think you qualify for with no experience? :dahell:
Already explained this playa. I'm not knocking the og's like yourself, but we making new roads out here breh...For example, my boy owns his own business, has multiple small companies he runs IT for.. I'm already out doing calls and fixing shyt without any certs lol.. He's been in business for over 10 years making 100k+.. Never worked no fuxking help desk job rofl

And don't underestimate that computer recycling hustle :myman:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
started my prgramming logic and design class today for my PC technical support certification and it already looks like its going to be hard :damn::sadbron: is there an easy way to understand this?

stick with it. You will pick up concepts piece by piece and it will eventually start to make sense.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Already explained this playa. I'm not knocking the og's like yourself, but we making new roads out here breh...For example, my boy owns his own business, has multiple small companies he runs IT for.. I'm already out doing calls and fixing shyt without any certs lol.. He's been in business for over 10 years making 100k+.. Never worked no fuxking help desk job rofl

And don't underestimate that computer recycling hustle :myman:

If you're starting your own business or know the right person to get you in, then sure :ld: ...but somebody with no experience is not going to just walk out and get a job as a network admin or architect.

I know people from my college that graduate with good jobs in IT :comeon:

This can't be true

Computer science? Sure.

IT? Kind of doubtful unless they already got some experience in college (ie. internship or IT job) or got into some IT Development program. I've worked in IT for quite a while and I'm telling you, virtually everybody in IT has to start at the bottom.

Now if you're talking more about the Comp. Sci side of things (software development, writing algorithms, database administration, etc.) then sure you can get a good job with just a degree. But nobody is going to have some kid off the street with no experience managing their servers.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
If you're starting your own business or know the right person to get you in, then sure :ld: ...but somebody with no experience is not going to just walk out and get a job as a network admin or architect.

Computer science? Sure.

IT? Kind of doubtful unless they already got some experience in college (ie. internship or IT job) or got into some IT Development program. I've worked in IT for quite a while and I'm telling you, virtually everybody in IT has to start at the bottom.

Now if you're talking more about the Comp. Sci side of things (software development, writing algorithms, database administration, etc.) then sure you can get a good job with just a degree. But nobody is going to have some kid off the street with no experience managing their servers.
I would say a unpaid internship is better than a help desk gig. But I'm on that puffy uptown records grind..

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

Computer science? Sure.

I'm taking about Computer Information Systems not Computer science. You're guaranteed to get a job if you do well in the school's program

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How do I start making money? I'm about to be offered a position that pays $17/hour... in New York City. I was hoping for around $45k/year.

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my resume.