IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Been a lil over a month since I passed my CCENT... real life got in the way plus I got lazy and started slacking... would've had my CCNA by now had I kept on pushing.. bout to hop back on the wagon to day and grab this shyt by June.

Those of you with security+ ..how long did it take you to study?

1 month, doing the cbtnuggets, ten I studied the Lead2pass dump for a few das..

Just passed CCNA got a 960
:dj2:
Next up CEH

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Bet. I'm looking into both as we speak, I haven't seen it stated explicitly yet, but networking sounds a bit more hands on, is that right? If so, that's def where I wanna be. Childhood shyt. My pops worked for Texas Instruments and other shyts so I had a habit of tinkering around but it was at really young age, so I never learned anything.

My main concern is job outlook though... from what I'm seeing, it's not all to likely to move directly into networking. If need be, I'll get the A+, put in the work while going for the CCENT and continue from there. I'm just trying to figure what my prospects are. Preciate all the help breh, I love the coli. It's been too damn long :wow: :damn:

You can get the Net+ then go to CCENT, I have seen people go straight into net admin jobs just with those certs.. I work for the DOD and they will let you work in a noc

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I want to get my ccent by the end of june, then on the s+. I'm older than you guys, I don't even know if these cacs will hire my old ass once I get these certs.

Daps
Reppin
X
Any of you brehs ever took any classes with General Assembly? Im looking at taking their Front End Web Development course, would appreciate some feedback.
I know someone who attended their bootcamp. She'd been programming since HS and had to leave college for financial reasons. She did the bootcamp, said a few of the instructors were:mjpls: but she finished and got a job fairly soon after. According to my mother, who knows her mother, she did a lot of meetups and networking, which led to a job paying 73k iirc.

I'm thinking about applying to GA's bootcamp, actually. But I've heard better things about App Academy and Fullstack Academy. I think the best thing about these bootcamps are the networking and the legitimacy it lends your resume. Seems harder to break in being self-taught with no work experience. But it would be cool to hear from people who know better than me.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
had an interview an interview for a software tester role interview went great but fukked up in the test :sadcam:

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
Just bought the voucher to take the test for 801 July 1st.. I'm ready now, but I'll be damned I give these guys $200 and even have a 1% chance of failing that shyt lol

Probably going to try to get the 802 by the end of August though.

Then network +
Ccna after that

A help desk job for me wouldnt be worth my time.

Last edited:

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Just bought the voucher to take the test for 801 July 1st.. I'm ready now, but I'll be damned I give these guys $200 and even have a 1% chance of failing that shyt lol

Probably going to try to get the 802 by the end of August though.

Then network +
Ccna after that

A help desk job for me wouldnt be worth my time.

If an A+ is worth your time than a help desk job would be worth your time.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
If an A+ is worth your time than a help desk job would be worth your time.
Not really. I'm doing it to learn. I would be taking a pretty big pay cut to be doing some help desk job :skip:

That shyt pays like $11 or something right?

Either I'll make money at a company that I want to work at, or I'll take what I learn and monetize it myself.

Last edited:

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Not really. I'm doing it to learn. I would be taking a pretty big pay cut to be doing some help desk job :skip:

That shyt pays like $11 or something right?

Either I'll make money at a company that I want to work at, or I'll take what I learn and monetize it myself.

How much you think you're going to make at your 1st IT job? :skip:

You'll be lucky to get a help desk job or dell tech when you first start off. Going from that to engineer level is even tougher and most never make the jump. I'm just saying you need to be realistic and sometimes you do need to take a step back in order to get experience.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
How much you think you're going to make at your 1st IT job? :skip:

You'll be lucky to get a help desk job or dell tech when you first start off. Going from that to engineer level is even tougher and most never make the jump. I'm just saying you need to be realistic and sometimes you do need to take a step back in order to get experience.
I'm not really doing it for the money at the moment. I know experience plays a large role in advancing in the industry, but I'm a visionary breh..

Get in with a start up and work for stock, or just start my own business ect... Open ya mind up and get ya hustle on breh.. Hope your happy at your job and not miserable and doing it for a check..

There's more to life than surviving.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I'm not really doing it for the money at the moment. I know experience plays a large role in advancing in the industry, but I'm a visionary breh..

Get in with a start up and work for stock, or just start my own business ect... Open ya mind up and get ya hustle on breh.. Hope your happy at your job and not miserable and doing it for a check..

There's more to life than surviving.

I've been in IT for close to 10 years now and making 6 figures so I'm doing good. All jobs have their ups and downs :manny:

Just trying to help the coli brehs understand getting a good job in IT doesn't just come after reading an A+ book for a few months. Good luck with passing the tests :myman:.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I've been in IT for close to 10 years now and making 6 figures so I'm doing good. All jobs have their ups and downs :manny:

Just trying to help the coli brehs understand getting a good job in IT doesn't just come after reading an A+ book for a few months. Good luck with passing the tests :myman:.
All good breh, appreciate it.

flipn50

Pro
Daps
I want to get my ccent by the end of june, then on the s+. I'm older than you guys, I don't even know if these cacs will hire my old ass once I get these certs.

If you give yourself a chance then other people definitely will!

Daps

No, but it does come from building a good combination of education, experience and certs(and networking). Certs, while not important are a means to get you access to more jobs (same with a degree). So while an A+ may not be worth much, if it can get you access to jobs you otherwise would not have access to then it has worth. So i think folks in IT even early on need to get used to staying up to date, learning new shyt and even getting certs when necessary. And studying for an A+ is a start towards learning how to do that.

Honestly though, dont do certs for no reason. Always look at the jobs in your area and see what certs they are asking for at the jobs you want. If its A+ then get that. If its CCNA or CISSP or ITIL, then get that.