IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, I hate that shyt when you start talking it up with a hiring manager in regards to a job, they inquire about your background, think you might be a good fit for an opening they have..ask for you to submit your resume.

.........and then never reply when you follow up inquiring.

Feels bad bros, would've been a huge leap for me if I'd gotten that job.

A no or something to that nature would've been cool.
I know what u sayin but u gotta chalk it up as it wasnt meant for you...theres plenty of IT jobs out there:manny:

Im in the process of finding sys admin level work but only helpdesk level 1/2 exp. Its trying but I'm gonna keep grindin until I find the right fit

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I know what u sayin but u gotta chalk it up as it wasnt meant for you...theres plenty of IT jobs out there:manny:

Im in the process of finding sys admin level work but only helpdesk level 1/2 exp. Its trying but I'm gonna keep grindin until I find the right fit

On the flipside I got recommended for promotion at my current job. But, the one I mentioned in my previous post was what I wanted which was IT Project Management. Mentioned the first one I'd be on would be Exchange related which is where most of my background is from.

But due to our current CTO, moving roles/promotions doesn't come with a raise. :pacspit:

sanityovar8ted

OG Moma Coli....dat bytch Thowd!!!
Daps
Reppin
OAK CLIFF TX
ok question i got my network+ and have been thru ccna training, im rusty cuz i never got a job in the field due to not being able to pass a background check, but i can fix my friends issues , im the go to computer tech for the hood if u will, my question is what kinda entry level position yall think i can apply for?

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
ok question i got my network+ and have been thru ccna training, im rusty cuz i never got a job in the field due to not being able to pass a background check, but i can fix my friends issues , im the go to computer tech for the hood if u will, my question is what kinda entry level position yall think i can apply for?
Start your own business if you can't get a job. You don't necessarily have to work for anybody if you have a skill that always in demand. You could start as a PC tech or IT consultant..

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
On the flipside I got recommended for promotion at my current job. But, the one I mentioned in my previous post was what I wanted which was IT Project Management. Mentioned the first one I'd be on would be Exchange related which is where most of my background is from.

But due to our current CTO, moving roles/promotions doesn't come with a raise. :pacspit:
More responsibility, but the same pay?:mindblown:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If people are paying you for the work then just open a sole proprietorship (https://www.sba.gov/content/sole-proprietorship-0). From there get you some business cards and start networking with people to get more clients. You can also write off a bunch of shyt in relation to the work you're dong (gas for traveling, internet access, hardware/software purchases, etc). Target smaller businesses. While you're building up clients, you can still keep applying for entry level positions but with the background thing your time may be better spent building up your own shyt.

You may also want to research small companies doing the same work as you and maybe seeing if you can partner with them?

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
I'm going back to school this summer. Because I lost my financial, due to being irresponsible as a student:francis:, I had to come out of pocket. I spent $400 on the "Intro to Programming" course and on a rental book :mjcry: I'm regretting for slacking in school :wow:

semtex

:)
Daps
I'm going back to school this summer. Because I lost my financial, due to being irresponsible as a student:francis:, I had to come out of pocket. I spent $400 on the "Intro to Programming" course and on a rental book :mjcry: I'm regretting for slacking in school :wow:
dwyane-wade-damn-o.gif

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
everyone should ALWAYS have an exit plan god willing i never have to go back to helpdeks either. My whole plan from the beginning was gaining experience and boucing after a year or so , i left work a month or so ago and could not find a better job and said fukk it im going back to school. a couple of people who i worked with had been working helpdesk for years and i was like :what:. But now looking back it's very easy to get comfortable ect, so my advice to anyone working helpdesk is start looking up certs and get them so they can take you to the next level in your career NEVER get comfortable and always be on the look for a new move

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
So I've been self studying for the last two months and I think I'm about ready to get this A+ cert. I just have a few questions..

1. Where can I find the cheapest exam vouchers?

2. Where are some good free practice exams?

Bump

How cheap can I get some A+ exam vouchers? The lowest I've seen is 10% off so far.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps

You can start consulting and print out some business cards and place them in the barbershop, hair salon, convenience store, check cashing, etc. Emphasis that your rates are lower compared to the big boys, (Best Buy) and negotiable. Depending on the offense, your options may be limited because all sectors, be it private, or public frown upon any disparities in a person's background check. You can also use websites such as craigslist to post your services.

Tim Dripcan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
going after this pc repair cert. after that maybe some coding or a+ certs. i just want to learn them as a skill not pursue it as a career.