IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
On the bright side,The help desk will definitely help you improve your communications skill. For example I just received a promotion, not for my programming skills this time, but because I'm the voice of my department. I communicate with all of our customers and other teams. They all know me, plus my emails are read by Directors and AVP's. So my promotion was easily approved.

Don't underestimate this. A good mouthpiece can get you a long way. Dealing with first line support is really a shyt job that gets under-appreciated, but you will learn how to deal with a large cross-section of society.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I just saved up enough money in cash to pay for a bootcamp (Sabio/General Assembly). With my background in math (I've completed up to differential equations), and have also co-developed an app that'll be on the market soon (I worked mainly on the front end that also utilized some JSON), you guys think that'll be enough to find decent employment for a $50-60k web developer job in Los Angeles?

To be honest I really just want to build my own apps, but will need money from a job to fund my other passions as well.

Last edited:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Passed that A+ 802 today :blessed:

Gonna make Net+ my bytch by July :pacspit::ufdup:

ilWTCTYaxw7ie.gif

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I had a phone interview today for a job today. I suspected it was a call center job and it turns out... it was a call center. The job's in Atlanta and I'm in NYC. HR lady wanted me to set up a time for an face-to-face interview. But I don't want to work in a call center, even if it's a good company. Plus, the price on flights at such short notice would be crazy.

I want a tech support job that's:
- not a call center
- pays more than 35k (if it's in NY)
- on-site (don't want to be out "in the field")

My current job is crazy. I worked 7am-6:30-something today (Friday). The only reason it was acceptable was because I was making up for missing a day earlier in the week. But I had already stayed an extra hour (or more) Tuesday through Thursday. And I'm going in tomorrow for like 4 hours. I'm not getting overtime either.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
:salute:

What was on it?:lupe:
im under the assumption it's not going to be the same test but i had 3 sims this time. an ipconfig one, matching windows OS with features, and setting up an alternate address in IPv4.

:manny:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I just saved up enough money in cash to pay for a bootcamp (Sabio/General Assembly). With my background in math (I've completed up to differential equations), and have also co-developed an app that'll be on the market soon (I worked mainly on the front end that also utilized some JSON), you guys think that'll be enough to find decent employment for a $50-60k web developer job in Los Angeles?

To be honest I really just want to build my own apps, but will need money from a job to fund my other passions as well.

Your paragraph is very random.....JSON is just a data format...what languages have you used?

And 50-60k in LA is entry level....so if you got skills that should not be a problem

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I had a phone interview today for a job today. I suspected it was a call center job and it turns out... it was a call center. The job's in Atlanta and I'm in NYC. HR lady wanted me to set up a time for an face-to-face interview. But I don't want to work in a call center, even if it's a good company. Plus, the price on flights at such short notice would be crazy.

I want a tech support job that's:
- not a call center
- pays more than 35k (if it's in NY)
- on-site (don't want to be out "in the field")

My current job is crazy. I worked 7am-6:30-something today (Friday). The only reason it was acceptable was because I was making up for missing a day earlier in the week. But I had already stayed an extra hour (or more) Tuesday through Thursday. And I'm going in tomorrow for like 4 hours. I'm not getting overtime either.

Bruh how old are you???

Do you know how many females work in a call center????....especially in ATL???????

If you are just getting your feet wet....you better go for it..I was the man when I worked in the call center.....:wow:

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Any of you brehs ever took any classes with General Assembly? Im looking at taking their Front End Web Development course, would appreciate some feedback.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Your paragraph is very random.....JSON is just a data format...what languages have you used?

And 50-60k in LA is entry level....so if you got skills that should not be a problem

It was using swift, I did the functionality portion of the app mainly (the view controllers and objects along with their functionality on the different views) using xcode.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Back at it tomorrow, starting Security+ and shooting to get next thursday :ehh:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Them bootcamps are 10,000 dollars and up. Honestly, I'd skip out on the bootcamp, buy a kindle, a bunch of books and take some time off and study that. There's only so much you can realistically learn and retain in 3 months that most of those bootcamps are.