IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Could someone help a breh out? I'm not exactly sure how an entry level IT resume should look or how to list my skills when I don't yet have the certs. I'm just going for help desk positions. It's time to move on from my current position.

here you go breh, http://www.filedropper.com/resumeoutline-copy

I removed the personal information, if you have any questions PM me.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I read this entire 288 pg thread and brehs like @bdizzle @Data-Hawk @Ice_MF_Mike @FreshFromATL @krexzen and a host others were dropping nothing but gems. I encourage other people to read this thread for their benefit. But I took the time to make a PDF file of the gems that I thought were beneficial with some general guidelines as well so cats don't come in here and ask the same question. The link to the PDF is below

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/615605/Coli-IT-Careers-thread-Breakdown-pdf.html
Enjoy the gems

Good looking out breh definitely did your thing with this pdf. :salute:

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Can somebody recommend software to migrate roughly 20 PC's from XP to 7?

Sorry for the late delay, and I'm pretty sure it's better means of doing this but I had an internship with a organization back in high school and I remember one practice we did.

First we'd set up an area for users of the company to dump their files they wanted to keep (word doc., powerpoints, emails, etc.)
Next we took the ghost image of a system which had all the required configurations and then ghosted the HD's of all the systems needing it
Finally, we'd add all the local privileges and personal shyt like which printer they could print to and all that.

again, I'm pretty sure since then there has been better methods of migration between OS.

===

Finally thing I'll recommend, if you have any input over upgrades and spending on IT equipment I'd suggest you research "Thin-Clients" as well as "Zero Clients". these systems run about 200 and up, it has the very bare minimum (CPU, RAM, Video, Input, Network capabilities) but lack a harddrive. with a thin or zero client, your organization set's up a server to host visualization. your thin client's then pull the OS from the server every time it boots up and functions as a require desktop system.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Taking A+ class, im eating

58enUS6.jpg

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Yea, Continuing education. I paid $750
That's wassup. Do you feel taking classes helped you absorb the info quicker as opposed to studying on your own?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/biz-beat/2014/mar/06/atlanta-no-2-tech-salaries-adjusted-cost-living/

Atlanta No. 2 in tech salaries adjusted for cost of living
Posted: 2:54 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014 | Filed in: Business

Before accepting a job offer, college graduates with STEM degrees and professionals in related fields might want to consider a new study that ranks cities based on average annual tech salaries that have been adjusted for cost-of-living expenses.

Atlanta ranks No. 2 in the nation when it comes to offering the largest tech salaries that have been adjusted for cost of living expenses, such as housing, groceries, utilities and other necessities, according to the study by TriNet, a company that provides cloud-based human resources services.

TriNet said its TriNet SMBeat study lets prospective employees in fields related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics know where they can get the biggest bang for their buck. The findings can also help companies decide where to relocate or expand operations.

Atlanta, with an effective average cost-of-living-adjusted tech salary of $103,000, comes in second behind Austin, Texas, where the annual average is $105,000.

On the other hand, the cost of living in New York and Los Angeles takes a sizable chunk out of tech salaries. The effective salaries in those areas are $56,000 and $70,000, respectively.

TriNet said it conducted research on more than 8,900 of its clients and about 230,000 of their employees.

Here is a list of the seven major tech hubs by cost of living adjusted average salaries:

1. Austin: $105,000

2. Atlanta: $103,000

3. Denver-Boulder: $98,000

4. Boston: $79,000

5. Silicon Valley: $78,000

6. Los Angeles: $70,000

7. New York: $56,000

A study by WalletHub also ranked Atlanta 2nd in average annual income adjusted for cost of living. The same study ranked Atlanta 31st for job prospects among 60 cities.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/biz-beat/2014/mar/06/atlanta-no-2-tech-salaries-adjusted-cost-living/

Atlanta No. 2 in tech salaries adjusted for cost of living
Posted: 2:54 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014 | Filed in: Business

Before accepting a job offer, college graduates with STEM degrees and professionals in related fields might want to consider a new study that ranks cities based on average annual tech salaries that have been adjusted for cost-of-living expenses.

Atlanta ranks No. 2 in the nation when it comes to offering the largest tech salaries that have been adjusted for cost of living expenses, such as housing, groceries, utilities and other necessities, according to the study by TriNet, a company that provides cloud-based human resources services.

TriNet said its TriNet SMBeat study lets prospective employees in fields related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics know where they can get the biggest bang for their buck. The findings can also help companies decide where to relocate or expand operations.

Atlanta, with an effective average cost-of-living-adjusted tech salary of $103,000, comes in second behind Austin, Texas, where the annual average is $105,000.

On the other hand, the cost of living in New York and Los Angeles takes a sizable chunk out of tech salaries. The effective salaries in those areas are $56,000 and $70,000, respectively.

TriNet said it conducted research on more than 8,900 of its clients and about 230,000 of their employees.

Here is a list of the seven major tech hubs by cost of living adjusted average salaries:

1. Austin: $105,000

2. Atlanta: $103,000

3. Denver-Boulder: $98,000

4. Boston: $79,000

5. Silicon Valley: $78,000

6. Los Angeles: $70,000

7. New York: $56,000

A study by WalletHub also ranked Atlanta 2nd in average annual income adjusted for cost of living. The same study ranked Atlanta 31st for job prospects among 60 cities.
Interesting article, that silicon valley money is looking funny in the light (unless you own a startup). Add this to the list of reasons to move to Atlanta :blessed:

JustRob

Rookie
Daps
So this is a really long thread. I'm sure the info I want is in here somewhere but digging through this whole thread isn't an easy task.

I want to get into the IT Cert game. I currently have none. I'm in my mid 30's and have worked my way up to Sr. Supervisor at an ISP call center. I've hit the ceiling here and would like to move my career from the ISP customer care side to the network/security side. I've been doing research for the past month or so and I'd like to get some feedback about my cert road map.

1st : A+ and or Network+
2nd: Security+
3rd: CCNA

Thoughts? Should I move CCNA to #2 and Security+ to #3? Am I missing some important certs in my 1-3 road map?

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
So this is a really long thread. I'm sure the info I want is in here somewhere but digging through this whole thread isn't an easy task.

I want to get into the IT Cert game. I currently have none. I'm in my mid 30's and have worked my way up to Sr. Supervisor at an ISP call center. I've hit the ceiling here and would like to move my career from the ISP customer care side to the network/security side. I've been doing research for the past month or so and I'd like to get some feedback about my cert road map.

1st : A+ and or Network+
2nd: Security+
3rd: CCNA

Thoughts? Should I move CCNA to #2 and Security+ to #3? Am I missing some important certs in my 1-3 road map?
sounds like a solid plan.