IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
I been working with computers since age 12 or 13 and trust me, the A+ is not that easy breh. Passed both on first attempt but it took some studying. They upgraded the requirements back in 2013 so you better study for the new test breh.

Is anyone familiar with what type of salary (real world) i'm looking at once I'm Security+ certified? Is 50k feasible?
Im studying as I type:salute:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I been working with computers since age 12 or 13 and trust me, the A+ is not that easy breh. Passed both on first attempt but it took some studying. They upgraded the requirements back in 2013 so you better study for the new test breh.

Is anyone familiar with what type of salary (real world) i'm looking at once I'm Security+ certified? Is 50k feasible?

It depends on the Industry and how desperate they are for IT Security people. I know several people with very little IT Security experience that started of making 50- 55K. This wasn't the case several years ago but companies that ignored cyber security for years are panicking trying to find people.

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
It depends on the Industry and how desperate they are for IT Security people. I know several people with very little IT Security experience that started of making 50- 55K. This wasn't the case several years ago but companies that ignored cyber security for years are panicking trying to find people.
Yes, i see. With the whole sony hack, target and home depot thing, I figure companies will start tightening up on their Infosec policies. Will probably go pick up the book some time here soon and begin studying. Think it's sys401 or something like that. Took a practice earlier and a lot of the same stuff from the A+ was related to the sec+. Hope they don't upgrade requirements in the middle of me studying for the damn thing :skip:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I feel that same way. I only got my A+ in April of last year, but I've been a computer nerd most of my life. I was cocky and only studied for about a week or so. I took the 1st exam on a Thursday and the 2nd on the Monday. I was surprised by how difficult they were.

I passed and got a new IT related job in June... and I've been slacking on my cert studying ever since. :snoop:

You nikkas happy with making 30-40K per year? :wtf:

Daps
I think cats need to realize if you want to get into IT, just grabbing one cert isnt going to cut it. You are going to need to constantly increase your skillset. Dont be the guy who is satisfied with entry level jobs because in a few years they will find someone cheaper to do it and you will be unemployable(if that happens when you got a wifey and kids its gonna be a problem). You might not need a degree to get into the field, but you will need to work to be successful over the long term. So learn how to learn yall.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I know, I know. I'm back at it now and I've scheduled my next exam date.

I started a study group at work... and got piss poor results. I provided the book (in PDF), made a Google group, and we get free CBT nuggets access through our employer. We were supposed to have weekly meetups after work in a conference room. Never happened because people didn't read the assigned chapter. After the 2nd time the meeting up failed, I gave up on them. I'm doing it alone.

I think cats need to realize if you want to get into IT, just grabbing one cert isnt going to cut it. You are going to need to constantly increase your skillset. Dont be the guy who is satisfied with entry level jobs because in a few years they will find someone cheaper to do it and you will be unemployable(if that happens when you got a wifey and kids its gonna be a problem). You might not need a degree to get into the field, but you will need to work to be successful over the long term. So learn how to learn yall.
I know. I've read through this entire thread more than once. Been plotting my escape from my current job and it's only been 6 months.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Are entry level certs, A+ etc, useful? I'm taking a college class which prepares you for the A+ but I'm worried about the cert expiring before I finish college.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Finally started studying again yesterday for this network+ after putting it off forever

Started reading the mike meyers book and that shyt had me :deadrose: by page 30

Gonna have to do the videos instead first