IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
brehs, i'm so CLOSE to enrolling in college for either physical therapy assistant or nursing. my sis graduated in 3 years, and right out the gate was making 35 an hour. now making 45. I been doing warehouse my whole adult life and i'm officially burnt out on this shyt. I think I could be happy in healthcare, but I feel like i'd be happier in IT. but at the moment, I have no experience, no certs.....only jobs i've ever worked as an adult have been warehouse. to me i look at it like this.....once I get my degree in healthcare i'm guaranteed to be banking. in IT, from what I heard and read, it seems like it's much harder to get your foot in the door...like no matter what certs you have, employers will always look for experience first.

can somebody please convince me to go the IT route before I turn my whole life upside down and rack up this college loan debt. i'm talking starting right now brehs....not even having an A+.....If i say fukk any semblance of a social life and completely dedicate myself to this IT shyt.....in 2 years time, could I realistically be making 25 an hour or more in IT?
Like Sonny said....sounds simple enough. What is your plan Reflex? I kinda want to do the exact same thing and get a cert under my belt. I am coming from barely any experience in this field too (a little C++ in HS :flabbynsick:). U start on with anything? Im trying to get it in too :feedme:
You start with A+.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Like Sonny said....sounds simple enough. What is your plan Reflex? I kinda want to do the exact same thing and get a cert under my belt. I am coming from barely any experience in this field too (a little C++ in HS :flabbynsick:). U start on with anything? Im trying to get it in too :feedme:
right now i'm just studying daily for this A+. trying to pass this exam before december. then from there just do whatever I can to get a help desk job. but right now....i'm just trying to follow the same plan many in here did. keep cert'ing up and just hope somebody takes a chance on me. then I can build my experience and go from there. it was tempting to go to school, but nah....couldn't do it. I gotta dig deep now, man up, and make this IT shyt happen. first things first....pass this A+.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
right now i'm just studying daily for this A+. trying to pass this exam before december. then from there just do whatever I can to get a help desk job. but right now....i'm just trying to follow the same plan many in here did. keep cert'ing up and just hope somebody takes a chance on me. then I can build my experience and go from there. it was tempting to go to school, but nah....couldn't do it. I gotta dig deep now, man up, and make this IT shyt happen. first things first....pass this A+.
what links or vids u using? Im trying to have you be my angel's wing. :feedme: No homo :rudy:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
what links or vids u using? Im trying to have you be my angel's wing. :feedme: No homo :rudy:
i'm just using this exam cram book

41zwS4T0xoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I also got those professor messer vids but haven't watched em yet. not even sure if i'll need to. i'ma keep studying this book, and once i'm passing the practice tests at 90% then i'll know i'm ready.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
i'm just using this exam cram book

41zwS4T0xoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I also got those professor messer vids but haven't watched em yet. not even sure if i'll need to. i'ma keep studying this book, and once i'm passing the practice tests at 90% then i'll know i'm ready.
just downloaded the pdf to my tablet (Fifth Edition). :salute: starting today. I need that guap so I need to know this shyt. It's the only good mid moving since '09

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
lets do this shyt breh:myman:
I know it's an edition behind, but these niccas just jumped into some practice exam shyt. I read thru the beginning chapter, then Section 2 is some HARD ASS QUESTION shyt. Are you (or have you been) just taking your best EDUCATED GUESS on each question then just reading the long explanations as to why you're wrong? :dwillhuh: Is that what ure on? That seems like some hardbody shyt....Maybe you already KNOW the majority of these answers :ehh: so, knowledge is key.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I know it's an edition behind, but these niccas just jumped into some practice exam shyt. I read thru the beginning chapter, then Section 2 is some HARD ASS QUESTION shyt. Are you (or have you been) just taking your best EDUCATED GUESS on each question then just reading the long explanations as to why you're wrong? :dwillhuh: Is that what ure on? That seems like some hardbody shyt....Maybe you already KNOW the majority of these answers :ehh: so, knowledge is key.
well i'm not sure how different the 5th edition is from the 6th. but usually the questions come at the end of each chapter. so you read the chapter then they quiz you on what you just read. if you're not getting the answers right then you prolly gotta go back and read the chapter over again. just gotta really focus and soak it all in.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
well i'm not sure how different the 5th edition is from the 6th. but usually the questions come at the end of each chapter. so you read the chapter then they quiz you on what you just read. if you're not getting the answers right then you prolly gotta go back and read the chapter over again. just gotta really focus and soak it all in.

Is yours 98 pages? Mine is. It looks like my other one was 319 pages, but I think we've got the same one now.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Do you guys feel it's age discrimination in IT? I was thinking about picking up a Certificate to learn new IT skills at my local CC, I'm 40 and black... Think this is a good thing? Considering CCNA Networking.

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
Do you guys know if there are any free or very cheap certifications available, that are respectable and reputed?

I want to add SQL Databases, like PostgreSQL or MySQL and Excel certification to my resume

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you guys feel it's age discrimination in IT? I was thinking about picking up a Certificate to learn new IT skills at my local CC, I'm 40 and black... Think this is a good thing? Considering CCNA Networking.

Do you already have a background in IT? I think age discrimination only comes into play when the job market is down.If your good you won't have many problems in this current market.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Do you already have a background in IT? I think age discrimination only comes into play when the job market is down.If your good you won't have many problems in this current market.

Not really want something to do for least 20 Years.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I have a question for the programmers in here. I know a lot of yall say programming is pretty much an entirely different field than IT. so I were interested to get into programming, what route should I take?.....I know for IT guys it's all about certing up. but what about programmers?.....seems like all these jobs look for computer science majors. they wanna know you've been taught by experienced people. is it all about just creating a portfolio of your work and shopping it around?.....I just wanna know what's the best way to get your foot in the door on a programming career, as opposed to regular IT.

also, could anybody recommend the best programming book(s) for a complete beginner who just wants get started on the basics