IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

The Tanzanian Prince

Tanzania Nakupenda Kwa Moyo Wote
Daps
@kevm3 props for the link to codecademy.com. this thread has been very eye opening. this programming thing looks like something i could do for fun

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
@kevm3 props for the link to codecademy.com. this thread has been very eye opening. this programming thing looks like something i could do for fun

No problem. Go through the different tracks and find which language sticks to you. Javascript was the one that worked for me. The key with programming is to stick with it and realize that you'll pick up knowledge gradually that will make confusing subjects clearer down the line.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I don't have a programming job yet, but I'm giving myself a few more months to hone my skills before I start pursuing employment in that field heavily. I don't want to enter into the field and start fumbling around. I've been focusing on web development with Javascript, HTML, and CSS. It's all about love. I tried the IT thing, but I just find that I don't care about computer repair, and I doubt I would really get into networking. I've always wanted to learn to program, so I stuck it out this time. Test it out, and the key I can tell you is that if you like it, stick it out. There will be a lot of times you have no idea what is going on and it seems confusing, but if you stick it out, it will eventually make sense.

You have a IT background? What books you read to learn programming? I only have a HTML book at home and I can do that. What languages you working on?

The Tanzanian Prince

Tanzania Nakupenda Kwa Moyo Wote
Daps
@kevm3 thanks for your kind reply, what sort of books or programs should i have so that i can keep become a guru? i got a couple of libraries out here that i could visit but i doubt any of their shyt has been recently updated. just to be brief, my background is more business based (BSc in Econ and soon to be holder of MBA) but i have always been keen on connecting business and IT and finding a way to express my ideas through programming. Considering I just turned 26, i still feel like there is a huge opportunity to be creative and build upon ideas

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
@kevm3 thanks for your kind reply, what sort of books or programs should i have so that i can keep become a guru? i got a couple of libraries out here that i could visit but i doubt any of their shyt has been recently updated. just to be brief, my background is more business based (BSc in Econ and soon to be holder of MBA) but i have always been keen on connecting business and IT and finding a way to express my ideas through programming. Considering I just turned 26, i still feel like there is a huge opportunity to be creative and build upon ideas

More than anything, first and foremost you have to find out what you want to do in general and what language you want to learn to start off. After that, I say to buy a kindle (e-reader, not the tablet). This will allow you instantaneous access to different books. From there, I can better recommend you some books. If you're considering business applications, Java is something that will get you in the door with a lot of businesses. If you're considering web development, then Html/CSS/Javascript. If you're going to get into it, don't be afraid to invest money, because it will pay off in the long run. I have over 50 books related to programming... Haven't read them all obviously, but don't be cheap looking for 'free resources'. There's nothing wrong with having a business background. My degree was actually in Accounting and I believe FreshfromATL had a degree in Finance. Most important with programming is just to stick with it.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
More than anything, first and foremost you have to find out what you want to do in general and what language you want to learn to start off. After that, I say to buy a kindle (e-reader, not the tablet). This will allow you instantaneous access to different books. From there, I can better recommend you some books. If you're considering business applications, Java is something that will get you in the door with a lot of businesses. If you're considering web development, then Html/CSS/Javascript. If you're going to get into it, don't be afraid to invest money, because it will pay off in the long run. I have over 50 books related to programming... Haven't read them all obviously, but don't be cheap looking for 'free resources'. There's nothing wrong with having a business background. My degree was actually in Accounting and I believe FreshfromATL had a degree in Finance. Most important with programming is just to stick with it.
whats the difference between the E reader and tablet?

is this paperwhite cool?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You have a IT background? What books you read to learn programming? I only have a HTML book at home and I can do that. What languages you working on?

If you're going to start out with html, head first html and css is a great starting point:
amazon.com/Head-First-HTML-Elisabeth-Robson/dp/0596159900

HTML and CSS technically aren't considered programming languages, but they are must knows before you can use Javascript to manipulate them. With Javascript, this is book has great reviews.

amazon.com/Head-First-JavaScript-Programming-Freeman/dp/144934013X

Eventually, after you get a general grasp of the language, you want to work your way through a book like this:

amazon.com/Professional-JavaScript-Developers-Nicholas-Zakas/dp/1118026691

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

is this paperwhite cool?

Difference between an E-reader and tablet is that an e-reader uses a special screen (e-ink screen) that is more akin to reading an actual book as compared to a tablet like the kindle fire, which uses an LCD screen. Reason I recommend an e-reader is because it is much kinder on your eyes than an LCD screen when you start working your way through these books... the battery life is also much better, given that the e-reader only updates when you turn the page. I actually own the kindle paperwhite, and it's been one of my greatest purchases. Make sure to put it in landscape mode when reading because portrait mode is too small lot of the times.

I find the paperwhite better than LCD in that it doesn't burn through your eyes like an LCD will do when you're doing a lot of reading, and it's better than buying a physical book a lot of times because it has built in lighting and you don't have to lug around massive books with you everywhere. You have have hundreds of books you can access instantaneously.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
After those 3 I can start applying for jobs?

You can start applying for jobs when you build up a portfolio of work that you can show off. If I was you, I'd start a blog as well and start detailing my progress as I'm learning. For one, it really will help you figure out certain concepts... and two, it allows people who can potentially hire you get a gauge on what you're capable of. Honestly, if you go hardcore with it, I'd say give it about a year before you can start considering jobs. I've been at it for about a year, and I still want my skills to cook some more before I really start applying.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Difference between an E-reader and tablet is that an e-reader uses a special screen (e-ink screen) that is more akin to reading an actual book as compared to a tablet like the kindle fire, which uses an LCD screen. Reason I recommend an e-reader is because it is much kinder on your eyes than an LCD screen when you start working your way through these books... the battery life is also much better, given that the e-reader only updates when you turn the page. I actually own the kindle paperwhite, and it's been one of my greatest purchases. Make sure to put it in landscape mode when reading because portrait mode is too small lot of the times.

I find the paperwhite better than LCD in that it doesn't burn through your eyes like an LCD will do when you're doing a lot of reading, and it's better than buying a physical book a lot of times because it has built in lighting and you don't have to lug around massive books with you everywhere. You have have hundreds of books you can access instantaneously.
aight good lookin. and do you know the best way to landing a first job programming?.....I mean it's not about passing certs right?.....is it mainly just about creating programs and showing you can actually do the work. from the job listings i've seen, it seems like it's even harder to land a programming job if you aint got a degree. which route would you recommend for somebody who doesn't have a degree and just plans to self study?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
aight good lookin. and do you know the best way to landing a first job programming?.....I mean it's not about passing certs right?.....is it mainly just about creating programs and showing you can actually do the work. from the job listings i've seen, it seems like it's even harder to land a programming job if you aint got a degree. which route would you recommend for somebody who doesn't have a degree and just plans to self study?

Go to codecademy and mess around with the different tracts and find a language that you like... Some very employable languages are Java, C#, Ruby (on Rails), and Javascript. There is also C and C++, but I don't recommend if you're a beginner that you start with those. Sit back and figure what kind of applications you want to make. Once you've figured that out, then you need to buy books, work through them, and program, program and program some more. Also, create a blog detailing your progress and the various programs you make. When you start getting a hang of it, start contributing to various open-source projects online on github and the such to get your name out. When you start developing a reputation as a competent developer and contributor, people will most likely end up finding you.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I'm in an MCSA training class this week and building and maintaining servers isn't as difficult as i thought it would be:obama: i'm thinking of putting my CCNA training to the side since no company will let me touch a router anytime soon and just pursue microsoft certs now.

I've been doing programming on the side for fun for about 5 months now and it's definitely worth it. if you work in the IT field then it will definitely help you with your career path as well. you should be tactful about what you study and go for a language that is in demand. i'm gonna just study whatever i will need to learn for my career once i'm comfortable with C.

is this paperwhite cool?

I've had this for about 6 months now and love it. easy on the eyes and great battery life. you can pick it up for way lower too since amazon usually has sales for them.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I'm in an MCSA training class this week and building and maintaining servers isn't as difficult as i thought it would be:obama: i'm thinking of putting my CCNA training to the side since no company will let me touch a router anytime soon and just pursue microsoft certs now.

I've been doing programming on the side for fun for about 5 months now and it's definitely worth it. if you work in the IT field then it will definitely help you with your career path as well. you should be tactful about what you study and go for a language that is in demand. i'm gonna just study whatever i will need to learn for my career once i'm comfortable with C.

I've had this for about 6 months now and love it. easy on the eyes and great battery life. you can pick it up for way lower too since amazon usually has sales for them.

That's a good plan, I need a good job, at least 40k while I have a longer term plan, I was thinking doing a microsoft cert to start somewhere off in helpdesk. I was also going to do Surg Tech (10 month) to gain employment then do some side IT hustle.