IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:what:breh no disrespect but I swear I remember you saying this same exact thing back in 2012 near the beginning of this thread. sounds like you may not be motivated or ambitious to get it because I was in the same exact position as you and within those 2 years I got my A+, Windows 7 (70-680), and just recently over the end of summer have passed 2 out of the 3 exams to become MCSA Server 2012 certified (passed 70-410 and 70-412 so far). I make 40k a year doing Helpdesk support right now with only a year and a half of experience. and I did all of this just by reading through this thread following the advice of @bdizzle @Chris.B and a few others who dropped gems in here. read through the thread again, ask questions and you will start making money in this field. I don't know about you but I want to :eat:good like a lot of these guys who showed me the way, take advantage of this info because they didn't have to tell us any of this for free but they did. good luck :salute:

Breh I remember when you first was in here asking questions. I'm proud of you :mjcry:

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I'm trying to get hired breh, I'm older and I have about 20 years left probably working. I'm trying to get into IT, I have the A+ and a 2 year but no call backs to my resume. The N+ would probably be better to get into IT, then transition into CCNA, I'm older though and I need a career, been working regular jobs my whole life.

Elaborate?

You skipped N+? Probably make better sense to get a Microsoft cert to get into IT.

I'm much older and I even asked what's a good field to get into for older people and no responses. I'm trying to make at least 50k a year.

The CCNA is probably the most well known and sought after certification in IT. When I was looking for jobs, I saw very few that asked for the Network+ (A+ - yes , Security + - yes, Network+ - No). Also, even though it can be difficult, the CCNA is still an entry level cert. The CCNP and CCIE are the certs for the experienced. There is no disadvantage at all to having a CCNA. Any employer that values the Network+ over the CCNA, is an employer you should probably steer clear of.

I have both. One got me nothing. The other got me a half dozen callbacks within hours of putting it on my resume.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Brehs looking to get into IT with no direct direction of what you actually want to do. Go to indeed.com or simplyhired and sift through entry level positions in IT related fields. Look for the common skills needed for the positions that best fit your interest and study up on them.

That will help you get familiar with what most companies look for.

NOC positions are also pretty easy to get into. Usually really need no experience and will get you working directly with higher level engineers.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
A young nicca out here in the big data world with Hadoop...

So yeah...They email wghen they need help with java shyt

they email me when they need help with UI front end shyt...

so yeah...now they about to email me when they need help with Hadoop

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Brehs looking to get into IT with no direct direction of what you actually want to do. Go to indeed.com or simplyhired and sift through entry level positions in IT related fields. Look for the common skills needed for the positions that best fit your interest and study up on them.

That will help you get familiar with what most companies look for.

NOC positions are also pretty easy to get into. Usually really need no experience and will get you working directly with higher level engineers.

I go to indeed and type in A+ in the search bar, see a few jobs but not much else.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
The CCNA is probably the most well known and sought after certification in IT. When I was looking for jobs, I saw very few that asked for the Network+ (A+ - yes , Security + - yes, Network+ - No). Also, even though it can be difficult, the CCNA is still an entry level cert. The CCNP and CCIE are the certs for the experienced. There is no disadvantage at all to having a CCNA. Any employer that values the Network+ over the CCNA, is an employer you should probably steer clear of.

I have both. One got me nothing. The other got me a half dozen callbacks within hours of putting it on my resume.

How did you manage the lab? Did you already own equipment or did you use software?

Romell

Superstar
Daps
I go to indeed and type in A+ in the search bar, see a few jobs but not much else.
I'm not saying look for "A+" exactly but like search on Network Eng, Sys Admin, Help Desk, NOC narrow the search to 1-2yr experience and see what they asking for like experience with Cisco, Linux, routing etc and start studying up on things of that nature.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
How did you manage the lab? Did you already own equipment or did you use software?

I bought some switches and routers off ebay. I also used gns3 (which is free). Type in gns3 in the youtube search bar to figure out how to start it up. gns3 is easy for emulating cisco routers, but not so much for the switches. One of my co-workers told me that he was able to set up switches on gns3, but I never tried it myself.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I got a job at AT&T as a chat support agent, it starts at 13.58 per hour so that's 28k per year. I don't think it's related to IT much but I'll study for the RHCE certificate in the meantime and step up my Linux skill.

Ah, I would hold off on studying for the RHCE, that's a cert for people with years of Linux admin experience and if I remeber correctly it's not cheap.

Look into linux+ cert and gaining more experience.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
A young nicca out here in the big data world with Hadoop...

So yeah...They email wghen they need help with java shyt

they email me when they need help with UI front end shyt...

so yeah...now they about to email me when they need help with Hadoop

Welcome to the world of Business Intelligence breh :salute:

What tools y'all using?

Over here, we heavy on the Tableau, Teradata, SQL Server, Oracle, SSIS, SSRS, and some SAS...

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Out of curiosity. Is it even worth pursuing work (preferably high-paying), in the IT Field if someone has a criminal record? Obviously you wouldn't be able to get a security clearance, so is there really any point?

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Out of curiosity. Is it even worth pursuing work (preferably high-paying), in the IT Field if someone has a criminal record? Obviously you wouldn't be able to get a security clearance, so is there really any point?

I don't see a problem with having one in the IT field but it might depend on the crimes and how recent though