IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
But I thought everyone in this thread was saying Network+ was useless :dwillhuh:
Looks good on a resume, and i already bought the book & scheduled my test. Plus i know most of it already

I want it just to have it.

Double J

Banned
Daps
Looks good on a resume, and i already bought the book & scheduled my test. Plus i know most of it already

I want it just to have it.

Fair enough :ehh:

I was just wondering cuz I got my A+ scheduled for next week and I was trying to figure out what to go for after that. Any suggestions?

Double J

Banned
Daps
Network + cause its a super easy transition

Alright sounds good.

One other question though. Did you take the A+ recently? If so what are the simulation questions going to be asking me to do? I feel pretty confident about everything else but I'm not really sure what to expect from those.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Alright sounds good.

One other question though. Did you take the A+ recently? If so what are the simulation questions going to be asking me to do? I feel pretty confident about everything else but I'm not really sure what to expect from those.
I took it in march, same questions you see online will be on there. Mostly situational

Make sure you memorize motherboard components tho

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Fair enough :ehh:

I was just wondering cuz I got my A+ scheduled for next week and I was trying to figure out what to go for after that. Any suggestions?

Unless you plan to go for the CCNA after Net+ I'd go for the 70-680 (Win 7 desktop client) exam. It's a pretty tough exam so don't underestimate it.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I read 2 books on the 70-410 exam, built a full lab and realized taking the test would be a waste of my time and money.

I manage a desktop team but trying to fool proof myself for future jobs in case something were to happen. I think I might switch gears and go down the security path as I will be pretty involved with audits and disaster recovery plans going forward.

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
that would be me breh...Business Analyst Manager

I was just offered a gig as a Senior Business Analyst at a business outing. Do you manage a team of business analysts? If so, do any of your folks have their own direct reports?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I was just offered a gig as a Senior Business Analyst at a business outing. Do you manage a team of business analysts? If so, do any of your folks have their own direct reports?
First off congrats :salute:..i have contractors that report to me that carry out some of the projects I manage for my client. Yes they have their own direct reports as well. Next year once I'm done with my final deliverable of the year I'll be looking to hire some interns to do some of my grunt work while I focus on new deliverables

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
ittl certification, am I spelling this right?
Unless you plan to go for the CCNA after Net+ I'd go for the 70-680 (Win 7 desktop client) exam. It's a pretty tough exam so don't underestimate it.

Wouldn't it be better to be A+, N+ for entry level than A+ CCENT? I don't see employers mentioning CCENT period.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
ittl certification, am I spelling this right?

Wouldn't it be better to be A+, N+ for entry level than A+ CCENT? I don't see employers mentioning CCENT period.

CCENT is 1/2 of the CCNA which means you'll have some understanding of Cisco routers/switches. Someone who knows Cisco (even a little) will be preferred over someone who just knows networking concepts. You'll most likely learn more with the CCENT anyway because it will require you to actually lab and implement networking concepts and protocols. You'll get a lot more out a test that requires you to configure OSPF, EIGRP, RSTP, etc, than on test that just requires that you memorize a brief overview of the concepts.

If you want to ease yourself into Cisco or Juniper then taking the network+ isn't a bad choice (this is what I did). IMO the two exams really aren't comparable. One test only requires memorization. The other test requires understanding.

DIMES

Retired troll
Daps
Reppin
baby, that was the old me
Could I realistic get an entry level desk support with an A+ and network+ with no experience?

Would a degree in information systems help me more than these certs?

@krexzen

Last edited:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
CCENT is 1/2 of the CCNA which means you'll have some understanding of Cisco routers/switches. Someone who knows Cisco (even a little) will be preferred over someone who just knows networking concepts. You'll most likely learn more with the CCENT anyway because it will require you to actually lab and implement networking concepts and protocols. You'll get a lot more out a test that requires you to configure OSPF, EIGRP, RSTP, etc, than on test that just requires that you memorize a brief overview of the concepts.

If you want to ease yourself into Cisco or Juniper then taking the network+ isn't a bad choice (this is what I did). IMO the two exams really aren't comparable. One test only requires memorization. The other test requires understanding.

I'm speaking a job, thats my goal entry level desktop support. I have the A+ and a 2 year, I need another cert, I'm doing the ccent but I don't see employers asking for it. I was debating stopping and doing the N+ because it's more known for entry level. The ccent might gain more respect in terms of knowledge but I'm speaking just straight jobs right now.