IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm going to spend time focusing on the server-side end of things with Node.js and PHP. Finally got to the chapter about MySQL in my php studies, so I'll be having fun playing around with a database. I'll also get to check out what noSQL databases have to offer soon in my node.js studies.

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
Anyone use this site for free programming books?
http://programming-motherfukker.com/become.html

Kublai Khan

Banned
Daps
Hey guys, what's the difference between information technology and information systems degree?

Also is a bachelors in It doomed to be making 45k

Should I go hard for Computer Science even tho I suck at math:lupe:

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
i wish there was more time in the day. There are so many subjects I'm attempting to learn, and this is just in the web development realm alone. Javascript, DOM, jQuery, AJAX, node.js, mongoDB, css, php, mySQL. I was thinking about adding c# somewhere in the mix, but I think my plate is full enough as is.

semtex

:)
Daps
Hey guys, what's the difference between information technology and information systems degree?

Go with information systems. Well actually it just depends on the curriculum. You don't have to do well in the math classes I struggled thru linear algebra and algorithms :noah:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Information Systems will be more geared for business work, with a foundation on some tech software/databases. Information Technology and Computer Science will be more programming/coding... well I know for Computer Science, not 100% sure on Info. Tech though.

I have a degree in Information Systems myself.

Kublai Khan

Banned
Daps
Information Systems will be more geared for business work, with a foundation on some tech software/databases. Information Technology and Computer Science will be more programming/coding... well I know for Computer Science, not 100% sure on Info. Tech though.

I have a degree in Information Systems myself.
Hmm okay.

How is your information systems degree doing? Did it get you a good job.

Did you get passed up for IT degrees?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hmm okay.

How is your information systems degree doing? Did it get you a good job.

Did you get passed up for IT degrees?
Yeah, I got a job in the field.

It opens the door for IT Consultant jobs and pretty much a lot of business analyst kind of positions in pretty much any industry. IT and CS degrees have more specific areas of focus though. With IS you'll just get an overview of how everything works from an IT perspective. So you won't get that much experience with the technical side of things in the curriculum, you'll see things from more of a manager's perspective.

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
Look up the classes, breh. But my school is about the same as Golden Glove. CIS takes more general business classes (Acct, Mgt, Mkt, etc.) & about 4 programming classes (1st C, java, etc) CS takes more if not all programming/technical classes no business unless it's an elective. & more math. lol

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
i wish there was more time in the day. There are so many subjects I'm attempting to learn, and this is just in the web development realm alone. Javascript, DOM, jQuery, AJAX, node.js, mongoDB, css, php, mySQL. I was thinking about adding c# somewhere in the mix, but I think my plate is full enough as is.

Hah, I know what you mean. Besides work, I'm working a Open world video game. Which involves me picking up Blender 3D and getting better at Photoshop. I also want to get back into Adruino, which is robotic programming with C.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Hah, I know what you mean. Besides work, I'm working a Open world video game. Which involves me picking up Blender 3D and getting better at Photoshop. I also want to get back into Adruino, which is robotic programming with C.

what game engine are you using? Unity?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yup. The unreal engine looks nice but Ive already dropped $1,500 on Unity. LOL

gaming is what made me want to get into programming. I wish I would have stuck at it when I was younger, but oh well. I know unity has a javascriptish variant called unityscript, but I'll probably have to pick up c# if i really want to delve deep into it.

What's pretty interesting about the javascript world now is webgl, which allows you to program 3d in the browser.

The Tanzanian Prince

Tanzania Nakupenda Kwa Moyo Wote
Daps
For those interested in free online courses

http://alison.com/learn/information-technology

Description:

The Diploma in Information Technology Management is a free online course that explains why managers must understand how Information Technology plays a fundamental role in both the structure and control of the modern business. A successful manager must have an excellent grasp of the functionality, capabilities and effects of the technology that he or she must implement and manage. This free online course presents an array of the core concepts of Information Technology management. The course will review such key areas as corporate frameworks, software, databases, information systems, communications and management of personnel in relation to technology and from the point of view of the business manager. This course is ideal for management professionals who wish to gain an in depth understanding of the management of Information Technology in the modern corporation. The course is also ideal for those who would like to learn about the central role of Information Technology in today’s workplace.