IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Youve been there long enough to put it on your resume. I dont know enough about your current situation but there is no way in hell I would work for 100-150 a week. A good computer science student internship should pay at least 10k for the summer. You have done the work, so you jave gotten experience from it. If you do leave make sure the departure is amicable though.

I dont do shyt for free. Do you feel comfortable saying the name of the company? Im sure there are some testimonials on it online.

In one word my suggestion is :camby:

Well, I just talked to them about the money today and I should be getting 250 a week and I really need the money so I'm gonna settle for it. It just sucks because all my friends in comp sci. have internships paying 15+ per hour

Still on the lookout for something better though. I feel I'm worth much more than they're giving me

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Well, I just talked to them about the money today and I should be getting 250 a week and I really need the money so I'm gonna settle for it. It just sucks because all my friends in comp sci. have internships paying 15+ per hour

Still on the lookout for something better though. I feel I'm worth much more than they're giving me

Just keep doing you man. This will set up the next thing. Your friends would look at my internship the same way you look at theirs. The experience is whats important breh. I spent last summer working as a glorified janitor. What year are you?

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Just keep doing you man. This will set up the next thing. Your friends would look at my internship the same way you look at theirs. The experience is whats important breh. I spent last summer working as a glorified janitor. What year are you?

Super Senior, this will be my 6th year :to:

Graduating in the spring if I can afford to pay for school in the fall. Good thing about this field is that jobs are plenty; I've already gotten a few offers for full-time positions but I still have to graduate first

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Super Senior, this will be my 6th year :to:

Graduating in the spring if I can afford to pay for school in the fall. Good thing about this field is that jobs are plenty; I've already gotten a few offers for full-time positions but I still have to graduate first

6 years isnt that bad. I have a very non traditional student friend from egypt. Came here to the states to play basketball and wanted to do computer science so he pays out of pocket. He works every other year full time plus part time while at school. It will have taken him like 8 years in the end but he will be straight just like you.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I have an interview with exelis ITT for a help desk job in Afghanistan.. Not really the location or job of choice but I geuss it's a start and I should get paid more out there

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
I done came up brehs, current contract at $28 per hour working in a hospital tier 2 team.

Network+ set for the 26th, then ima try to get that security+ in august.

Setting goals and reaching them is a great feeling :wow:
congrats man, what experiences do you have in IT?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I have an interview with exelis ITT for a help desk job in Afghanistan.. Not really the location or job of choice but I geuss it's a start and I should get paid more out there
:merchant: You know there's millions of places in the US you could start

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
It's funny you mention this; the internship I have is not paying me at the moment. The first 30 days are a "trial period" for them to see how you fit within the company. After that you are eligible for a stipend ranging from 100-150 a week. However, it's been almost a week since the trial period and I have been given the runaround about the meeting we're supposed to have for the stipend. My pops thinks I need to tell them fukk off if they're not coughing up the money, which I'm quickly getting close to doing. On top of all this, I have been working damn near full-time at 35 hours per week.

I can't say it hasn't been a good experience because I am learning some things, but I'm beginning to feel strongly that I'm only being exploited for free labor. Suggestions breh(s)?

Sorry to say, but in the beginning you kinda have to take their shyt. :( You really have to think a few months or year out from now and How much that experience will help. The experience pays for itself.

Sucks I know. I got fukked over on my first IT JOB. I was given a 3 month contract by a temp agency ( $12hr ) and they promised more jobs after that. about 2 - 3 weeks in, I stopped getting assignments( field job ). So I kept calling them and they would never return my calls.

On my 2nd job ( Another field job and the pay was like $12.75hr), They kept having me work late, I told them I was going to school at night. They had no problem with it, but the problem was I kept getting assignments that were far out or in the heart of DC. Going to DC to repair something around 2:30 and trying to make it back to MD for class @ 5pm just wasn't happening.

So I quit on a Monday, found another temp agency on Wednesday , took a drug test on Saturday.And started where I'm at now at $19/hr and have been here for almost 8yrs w/ several promotions. Around this time the 1st temp agency called me back and offered me a job paying $13/hr for 3 months.:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

So things will get better later.:smugdraper:

Last edited:

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
Brehs need your advice.

When I was 17 my mom was married, together those two salaries were just enough so I couldn't get financial aid. They seperated that summer, leading to my mom and I taking out loans(total is around 10k since I was only in school for a year and a half). Fast foward to now I want to go back to school but I can't get financial aid because I'm paying back these two loans to get out of default.

This means if I want to go to school I have to pay for it myself and with bills and helping my mom in the house and only making 12.50 in this reasturant I work in(shift leader). So I'm basically stuck, I want to go to school so badly and get a computer science degree, I kiss doing homework and shyt.

Please brehs tell me what the Hell I should do, I'm trying to go to the next level in life.

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
Yep. We looking for someone with BI Knowledge and strong SQL skills to add to our team right now. We don't care whether or not the person is a freshman in college...if they nice with the SQL (SQL server, oracle, teradata), understand Business Intelligence, and show the ability to grasp complex business logic....we'll bring'm in at 70-75k off rip.
This paragraph kind of helped with my question.

Back to studying