IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Brehs need your advice.

When I was 17 my mom was married, together those two salaries were just enough so I couldn't get financial aid. They seperated that summer, leading to my mom and I taking out loans(total is around 10k since I was only in school for a year and a half). Fast foward to now I want to go back to school but I can't get financial aid because I'm paying back these two loans to get out of default.

This means if I want to go to school I have to pay for it myself and with bills and helping my mom in the house and only making 12.50 in this reasturant I work in(shift leader). So I'm basically stuck, I want to go to school so badly and get a computer science degree, I kiss doing homework and shyt.

Please brehs tell me what the Hell I should do, I'm trying to go to the next level in life.

I don't say this to everyone, but if you can't figure it out, I would suggest looking into the military. The Air Force for example has a lot of IT fields. They train you, you learn on the job and you gain experience. Air Force is like a civilian job with uniforms for the most part. You can also attend schools in the weekend, online or after work to earn a degree. Just make sure you get it in writing from the recruiter about what job you want to do in there. Obviously if you have any ethical or moral obligations, this may not be the best choice. I know several people who did something like this for several branches.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
I don't say this to everyone, but if you can't figure it out, I would suggest looking into the military. The Air Force for example has a lot of IT fields. They train you, you learn on the job and you gain experience. Air Force is like a civilian job with uniforms for the most part. You can also attend schools in the weekend, online or after work to earn a degree. Just make sure you get it in writing from the recruiter about what job you want to do in there. Obviously if you have any ethical or moral obligations, this may not be the best choice. I know several people who did something like this for several branches.

Example:
http://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/cyber-surety

Plus for most you'll get a security clearance and those are worth gold.

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
My brother is a marine by the fall next year I will make that an option of need be. Thanks

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Stick with your web development path and go as hard as you can on it. You should be living/eating/breathing HTML/CSS/Javascript and possibly PHP for the next year.

I'd honestly avoid the military for now with the wars our government looks like they want to start kicking up.

flipn50

Pro
Daps
Man! I got my first start in IT as a technical customer representative for a popular web hosting company that pays $12 per hour. I worked there for 5 months and got fired for posting this video at work in the support chat forum.

How can I bounce back from this?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Man! I got my first start in IT as a technical customer representative for a popular web hosting company that pays $12 per hour. I worked there for 5 months and got fired for posting this video at work in the support chat forum.

:laff: Why The fukk Would You Do That? :laff:

flipn50

Pro
Daps
I got an interview with Rackspace this upcoming thursday for Linux Admin position. I only know the basic linux command, mysql, dns, ssh, ftp, stuff

Anything I should learn to impress them? Currently I'm installing Ubuntu Server on my computer trying to set up my computer as a server.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I got an interview with Rackspace this upcoming thursday for Linux Admin position. I only know the basic linux command, mysql, dns, ssh, ftp, stuff

Anything I should learn to impress them? Currently I'm installing Ubuntu Server on my computer trying to set up my computer as a server.

Know your runlevels and why you would enter a specific one, where config files are(/etc/) and how to edit them, piping commands, grep, >> ,know how to create/delete users, chmod, chown, give group properties, fdisk/parted.... simple mysql commands, copying files, hard/soft links.... how to mount a volume. Good luck!

flipn50

Pro
Daps
Know your runlevels and why you would enter a specific one, where config files are(/etc/) and how to edit them, piping commands, grep, >> ,know how to create/delete users, chmod, chown, give group properties, fdisk/parted.... simple mysql commands, copying files, hard/soft links.... how to mount a volume. Good luck!

thanks bro, ill try to look those up before the interview

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

:mjlol::russ:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
what skills you need for desktop support positions? active directory, windows 7, microsoft outlook?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
what skills you need for desktop support positions? active directory, windows 7, microsoft outlook?

Basically, you need to know how to take apart a computer and put it back together again, know how to fix basic hardware/software problems, understand basic computer networking, and know how to use google efficiently. As far as Active Directory, most of the stuff that helpdesk/desktop support folks do is pretty self explanatory. I've never had any formal training on AD (or taken any specific AD certs) and yet I still do basic stuff in AD (create accounts, reset passwords, create groups/containers, set profile paths, etc.). Usually I just go on google when I run into some random Outlook issue I'm not sure about.

Can you answer the following?

1. A user calls in saying that their computer is randomly shutting off after it's been on for a while. What would be two most likely causes of this?

2. A user calls in saying they can't print. What questions would you ask the user to troubleshoot?

3. A user is getting Blue Screens of Death at random times. How would you go about figuring out the cause?

4. User calls in saying that they get a "page cannot be displayed" error when they go on the Internet. How would you troubleshoot? What are the first few things you'd check?

If you can answer the above without google then you can probably work helpdesk.