IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Anyone use emacs here? I've been thinking of using it for coding. I've been reading about it and it sounds a little :sadcam::lupe:
ahh, I havent used emacs since my Linux days which was like 5yrs ago. unless things have changed use Kdevelop or any other IDE on Linux.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been having a ton of fun learning Javascript. Great language

Ricky43

Whats up
Daps
Reppin
Gentrification City
damn breh.....27/hr? thats fukkin awesome..i have a lil more experience and not even fukkin with that...shyt thats how much they pay our networking guys. Where are you locate?

In Philly...supposedly my hospital is one of the lowest paying in Philly...when I first got there I was more concerned with getting the experience cuz I'm getting old and I still didn't have any IT experience besides school....it's also a point to note that my position at 26.50 is one of the lowest paying in our department so it's always room for improvement.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The more I use it, the more I really enjoy Sublime Text. It's not as feature-packed as an IDE, but it starts up FAST and is just so easy to use. I think I'll end up buying both Sublime Text and Webstorm... Webstorm is great for deep development, while Sublime Text is great if I just want to experiment with different concepts.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
The more I use it, the more I really enjoy Sublime Text. It's not as feature-packed as an IDE, but it starts up FAST and is just so easy to use. I think I'll end up buying both Sublime Text and Webstorm... Webstorm is great for deep development, while Sublime Text is great if I just want to experiment with different concepts.

A lot better stuff out there breh. I've only used their trial version but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

I much prefer IDEs with code completion and so on.

Eclipse has a ton of plugins and visual studio is amazing now. xcode is okay.

if you have an .edu address and go to microsoft dreamspark, you can get a lot of dev stuff for free.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I done came up brehs, current contract at $28 per hour working in a hospital tier 2 team.

Network+ set for the 26th, then ima try to get that security+ in august.

Setting goals and reaching them is a great feeling :wow:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
A lot better stuff out there breh. I've only used their trial version but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

I much prefer IDEs with code completion and so on.

Eclipse has a ton of plugins and visual studio is amazing now. xcode is okay.

if you have an .edu address and go to microsoft dreamspark, you can get a lot of dev stuff for free.

I had eclipse installed on my old machine before the hard drive went out. I know eclipse is very powerful, but it and netbeans are big and heavy duty. When I get into heavyweight development, I'll probably have to look into something more heavyweight than what I'm using. I forget which one, but maybe both required that Java runtime environment to be installed. I actually hated having that installed since it always needs to update, so I never installed it on my new machine.

Webstorm has code completion, but I actually find that I rarely use code completion since I can type it in just as fast as it brings suggestions up... but it's a nice feature to have.

Do you know any decent books on algorithms?

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
I had eclipse installed on my old machine before the hard drive went out. I know eclipse is very powerful, but it and netbeans are big and heavy duty. When I get into heavyweight development, I'll probably have to look into something more heavyweight than what I'm using. I forget which one, but maybe both required that Java runtime environment to be installed. I actually hated having that installed since it always needs to update, so I never installed it on my new machine.

Webstorm has code completion, but I actually find that I rarely use code completion since I can type it in just as fast as it brings suggestions up... but it's a nice feature to have.

Do you know any decent books on algorithms?

Introduction to Algorithms is pretty much the holy book of programming. Use it and follow the book topics on youtube by searching for it. It can be pretty daunting if you aren't used to pseudocode, complexity and big o notation.

Cover :

cover_cormen.png

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Introduction to Algorithms is pretty much the holy book of programming. Use it and follow the book topics on youtube by searching for it. It can be pretty daunting if you aren't used to pseudocode, complexity and big o notation.

Cover :

cover_cormen.png

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like I'll need to hone up on my math skills to really be able to make any sense of that book. Which branches of math do I need to really start studying?

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like I'll need to hone up on my math skills to really be able to make any sense of that book. Which branches of math do I need to really start studying?

As far as "traditional" topics, it doesn't really go beyond algebra. The branch that matters is Discrete Mathematics which covers things like set theory, graph theory, logic, big O notation, proofs, basic algorithms and structure, and probability.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Ok so I'm thinking about changing my major to IT. I'm going to be a sophomore so i'm still young and whatnot, i'm interested in networking. It would be nice to get some tips and help for this particular major/area in IT. I do know dat I will need a bachelor's degree *probably a science one* and after that seek a help desk job and certs. How should I prepare myself before school starts, are there sum lists of programs that I can use to get a basic feel and info?