IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I quit my job as a janitor and started interning in the IT department at a local hospital since October 2013 for 10.00 an hour, about 2 weeks ago I got offered and accepted the position of basically the same thing I was already doing but with benefits and Full Time pay 26.50 an hour. I want to finish school I only have my associates degree, and possibly get into a leadership position. We do a lot of projects and I have my hands in basically everything, but I know in a few months I will get tired/bored of this and need to do more. I'm interested in possibly being a project manager. Besides what I did at my house and for my friends, I had no prior business experience in IT just personal.
damn breh.....27/hr? thats fukkin awesome..i have a lil more experience and not even fukkin with that...shyt thats how much they pay our networking guys. Where are you locate?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just tried Sublime Text 3 and Webstorm. Sublime Text is lightning fast in how it opens and is lightweight and to the point. Webstorm is great for web programming.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Brehs, I've been working on this pretty big software project recently. At the start, I was primarily coming up with my own methods for solving some problems the company is having, so I was pretty much doing my own thing and having them integrate the solutions.

Now, I'm working on a different part of the project which requires me to understand the inner workings of a large portion of their code, but I've been pretty much given zero direction on where I should actually begin on this shyt. I mean, there are literally thousands of lines of code that I have to look through. There is no documentation that I know of to help me out either. Any of you brehs been in this situation and have some advice to offer? This is an internship btw

If you are using Visual Studio, look at the class diagram ( UML ) which will give you a layout of the code. No documentation is commom even tho it shouldnt be.

Hopefully you have a test environment where you can break things?

Use #Region # Endregion for code folding So you can look at the code in snippets and dont get overwhelmed.

Double check with your lead to make sure theres no documentation and express your concerns. Most coders hate writing documentation, but try to cover your ass.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Been working 12 hour days for the past 3 weeks finishing this project. Joint finally completed today :ahh:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Brehs, I've been working on this pretty big software project recently. At the start, I was primarily coming up with my own methods for solving some problems the company is having, so I was pretty much doing my own thing and having them integrate the solutions.

Now, I'm working on a different part of the project which requires me to understand the inner workings of a large portion of their code, but I've been pretty much given zero direction on where I should actually begin on this shyt. I mean, there are literally thousands of lines of code that I have to look through. There is no documentation that I know of to help me out either. Any of you brehs been in this situation and have some advice to offer? This is an internship btw

This is a great chance to learn some real skills. This is what I would do here:

1 read through the libraries a few times, get an idea of how you think the different modular components will interact
2 put break points in places of interest like where a function returns or before and after code you dont understand - this will help you understand the flow of data and how the code works

What kind of language/ business use/ API are you working with? is there server interaction or is it user event driven? The more specific you are the more these guys in here can advise you

I quit my job as a janitor and started interning in the IT department at a local hospital since October 2013 for 10.00 an hour, about 2 weeks ago I got offered and accepted the position of basically the same thing I was already doing but with benefits and Full Time pay 26.50 an hour. I want to finish school I only have my associates degree, and possibly get into a leadership position. We do a lot of projects and I have my hands in basically everything, but I know in a few months I will get tired/bored of this and need to do more. I'm interested in possibly being a project manager. Besides what I did at my house and for my friends, I had no prior business experience in IT just personal.

Even though this isnt my path its a path I try to get a lot of hungry young cats on.. an associates + skills really sets a hard worker up. Congrats man this made my day to read

i been reading this whole thread and props to everybody who contributing in this and doing their thing in IT

here's my situation, just looking for a little insight on what i can expect:

i got a bachelor's in it/computer science (completed last year), i'm going to be starting a front end web developer/ programmer analyst training as of august 4th (i tested and was awarded a paid scholarship for it). i did some testing for my aptitude and i scored in the upper 10 percentile for it. it's a pretty detailed and will run up into the middle of december. we are gonna be in training Monday through friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.

the training also will include insurance fundamentals and general insurance for IT support- once it's completed, we test and complete a certification for an AINS 24 General Insurance for IT and Support Professionals exam. we will also be trained in a programming language- C#

After all the training we hopefully should get an opportunity to work a paid internship with a local company for 8 weeks, to prove if we are a fit for the company.

i understand all the work that's ahead of me but i'm just wondering with all the training, does it put me in a good place for the future and will companies still downplay me- once i'm done with the training. just wanna know the chances i have. either way i'm gon grind it out- we just did an interview and an exercise for web designing and i actually enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to it

thanks in advance for any advice or feedback

Seems kind of scammy hopefully you didnt pay too much, what can these guys really teach you that school/independent study couldnt? Get in touvh with people who completed the program( if you dont know any ask the people who run the program, if they cant/wont connect you to alumni thats a big red flag)

Ask more about the 8 week internship, hopefully its not a bullshyt agreement in which they get an endless supply of cheap labor and no one gets a real job - I know such arrangements unfortunately exist. Looks like youll be specialized to the insurance industry so start networking there now.

Damn I need to go on a sabbatical. January 1, I'm quitting my job and taking like 6 months off. I'm stressed as fukk mayne :damn:

I be just wanting to stay, home, smoke weed, and drink all day. Is that so wrong :beli:

Thats how we all feel man, i know you have a lot of experience why not use your vacation time to chill or take the 2 year top mba vacation?

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Anyone use emacs here? I've been thinking of using it for coding. I've been reading about it and it sounds a little :sadcam::lupe:

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
Seems kind of scammy hopefully you didnt pay too much, what can these guys really teach you that school/independent study couldnt? Get in touvh with people who completed the program( if you dont know any ask the people who run the program, if they cant/wont connect you to alumni thats a big red flag)

Ask more about the 8 week internship, hopefully its not a bullshyt agreement in which they get an endless supply of cheap labor and no one gets a real job - I know such arrangements unfortunately exist. Looks like youll be specialized to the insurance industry so start networking there now.

definitely appreciate your input- the training is actually paid for- nothing is coming out of my pocket ( i was awarded a scholarship that covers books and tuition) and it's at a local college here in Columbia, SC called MIdlands Tech- i definitely will start reading up on the insurance industry and how it works with IT. i'm definitely gonna stay on point regarding the internship- i worked one last year and it was basically cheap labor (only did it for 2 months).

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
definitely appreciate your input- the training is actually paid for- nothing is coming out of my pocket ( i was awarded a scholarship that covers books and tuition) and it's at a local college here in Columbia, SC called MIdlands Tech- i definitely will start reading up on the insurance industry and how it works with IT. i'm definitely gonna stay on point regarding the internship- i worked one last year and it was basically cheap labor (only did it for 2 months).

Oh thats very good then! If its through a school that should be valuable to do. How did your undergrad go academically? After looking at their website for a few minutes it looks like they partner pretty heavily with local businesses.

Looks like they have job fairs and interview prep too. Im a student now and go to career services like once a week at least, milk every resource that place has. Looks like youre in a good position. If you have the time do some projects or get some certs when you have free time to stand out from the rest of the class.

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
Oh thats very good then! If its through a school that should be valuable to do. How did your undergrad go academically? After looking at their website for a few minutes it looks like they partner pretty heavily with local businesses.

Looks like they have job fairs and interview prep too. Im a student now and go to career services like once a week at least, milk every resource that place has. Looks like youre in a good position. If you have the time do some projects or get some certs when you have free time to stand out from the rest of the class.

yeah it's through the GRIT program (a 5 million grant the government issued to train people for future IT growth in this area from 2012 to 2016), i graduated cum laude- was pretty good academically. i'm really looking forward to it. i will definitely try to network and find any avenue that can better myself within the program

semtex

:)
Daps
I'm gettin interested in networking. I'm already a developer. I wanna get good at some networking stuff though, I never felt I was strong in that department.