IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Hey, big arse thread so I'll ask here: Has anyone got any security certs beside the entry level ones (sec+, etc)? I've got my GCIA, moving onto GCIH and GREM this year. Just wondering how you found it? GCIH will be an easy one, but GREM will be harder because of all the assembly language!

I already work for a household name security company, so job is OK. Just looking to sharpen ones skills

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Anyone have an RHCE (Red Hat) certification? If so holler

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I need a accurate ccent brain dump, I set my test for may 20th. On me brehs

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

Why this dude sh1t on a+ and network+ around the 15min mark

to be honest, those are good certs to study in order to get your feet wet if you're a noob to computers, but you're better off pursuing/paying for microsoft and cisco certs just because those two cover the stuff you'll run into when working for a company. if you're not a hobbyist then beginning with the a+ and network+ is a good start.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
to be honest, those are good certs to study in order to get your feet wet if you're a noob to computers, but you're better off pursuing/paying for microsoft and cisco certs just because those two cover the stuff you'll run into when working for a company. if you're not a hobbyist then beginning with the a+ and network+ is a good start.
Are all u it cats like the dude I posted? U can tell he has a hunger and desire for that tech sh1t. IT doesnt seem to be something u can just pick up and learn, it seems like u have to have a foundation of tech knowledge just to start off.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Are all u it cats like the dude I posted? U can tell he has a hunger and desire for that tech sh1t. IT doesnt seem to be something u can just pick up and learn, it seems like u have to have a foundation of tech knowledge just to start off.

i grew up using and playing with computers for as long as i can remember so it's something that i feel like i need in my life and as i got older, the innovation and convenience kept me glued to it. but dont get it twisted, i know a lot of ppl in IT that didn't even bother learning about computers until they decided to make a career switch. the network engineer i work with started in IT at 28 years old and our system engineer was a nutritionist before working in IT. if you have the drive and you're willing to put in the hours, then reaching a high level in IT without much computer knowledge is possible.

as far as the desire and hunger, that's just passion. i always thought the saying "do what you love" was a cheesy cliche, but this is true for me with tech. i love learning new skills and applying them produce something that affects hundreds of people. i work with computers, servers and networking stuff at work and go home and spend a few hours doing the same thing for the most part. it's just something i enjoy.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
i grew up using and playing with computers for as long as i can remember so it's something that i feel like i need in my life and as i got older, the innovation and convenience kept me glued to it. but dont get it twisted, i know a lot of ppl in IT that didn't even bother learning about computers until they decided to make a career switch. the network engineer i work with started in IT at 28 years old and our system engineer was a nutritionist before working in IT. if you have the drive and you're willing to put in the hours, then reaching a high level in IT without much computer knowledge is possible.

as far as the desire and hunger, that's just passion. i always thought the saying "do what you love" was a cheesy cliche, but this is true for me with tech. i love learning new skills and applying them produce something that affects hundreds of people. i work with computers, servers and networking stuff at work and go home and spend a few hours doing the same thing for the most part. it's just something i enjoy.
This is the difference between people that just work and people that enjoy their work. I know a level 2 senior engineer that knows his stuff but he stated that he doesn't fukk with computers when he gets home. Me, I will look at a computer screen all day if I need to..it's not annoying to me. Hooking up a web/file server soon as well...

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
@bdizzle @Chris.B and whoever else can answer this. How the hell do I get up out of help desk or get a higher salary? I work for comcast as a level tech support rep for almost a year and this shyt is hell. I was hoping you guys could help me with what my next move should be as far as Certs. I already have my A+ and Windows 7 MCTS config certs. The guy in the video from a few post above says the mcsa2012 cert is a good look. Just wanted your opinion since you helped me get started before I landed the job.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
@bdizzle @Chris.B and whoever else can answer this. How the hell do I get up out of help desk or get a higher salary? I work for comcast as a level tech support rep for almost a year and this shyt is hell. I was hoping you guys could help me with what my next move should be as far as Certs. I already have my A+ and Windows 7 MCTS config certs. The guy in the video from a few post above says the mcsa2012 cert is a good look. Just wanted your opinion since you helped me get started before I landed the job.
go for the CCNA/ MCSE and then get another job.

This is why I advise people against starting out at helpdesk....it's shyt and on top of that once you get comfortable you feel stuck.

Go for high level certs like CCNA/CCNP/CCIE anyone of them. They are much harder than you average cert.

if you are comfortable with Microsoft you may want to aim for the highest Microsoft certs.
Go straight to the top stuff.

Sit down for a few hours...think and make a decision