IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Get a new job. A lot of companies aren't promoting from within, they'd rather import someone who has done the job before.

There's no quicker way to make a huge jump in salary than to move on to a new position

This. Whenever I wanna make more money, I switch jobs. Even had almost a 100% pay increase.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@bdizzle @Chris.B and whoever else can answer this. How the hell do I get up out of help desk or get a higher salary? I work for comcast as a level tech support rep for almost a year and this shyt is hell. I was hoping you guys could help me with what my next move should be as far as Certs. I already have my A+ and Windows 7 MCTS config certs. The guy in the video from a few post above says the mcsa2012 cert is a good look. Just wanted your opinion since you helped me get started before I landed the job.

Your exactly in the position i dont want to be in. There are a couple of guys here at work who have been working level 1 support for 2 years:snoop:. Looking to leave once i've worked here for a year or so.

lying on my cv didn't even cross my mind:demonic: only the strongest survive

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Your exactly in the position i dont want to be in. There are a couple of guys here at work who have been working level 1 support for 2 years:snoop:. Looking to leave once i've worked here for a year or so.

lying on my cv didn't even cross my mind:demonic: only the strongest survive

Yeah breh, I learned early. Been lying ever since :heh:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
not work experience i was a banker now trying to break into IT

Probably gonna have to go the help desk route, in which case you'll need an A+.

You gotta degree in IT/CS?

Edit: i see that you do. The degree will help, but still get the A+. You should be able to pass in like 3 months of studying.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
I'm a bytch ass nikka breh, I talk shyt to everyone.

I'm in security, bout 10 years of experience, making 5 figures a month. Broke 100k/yr after like 5 years I think. If you hustle and grind, you could do it earlier, but you gotta sacrifice.
Did u go to school for the certs or self taught? 10 yrs experience... :damn:

And what were the 2 certs that just took u to a new level of cakin?

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
go for the CCNA/ MCSE and then get another job.

This is why I advise people against starting out at helpdesk....it's shyt and on top of that once you get comfortable you feel stuck.

Go for high level certs like CCNA/CCNP/CCIE anyone of them. They are much harder than you average cert.

if you are comfortable with Microsoft you may want to aim for the highest Microsoft certs.
Go straight to the top stuff.

Sit down for a few hours...think and make a decision
:why: if people dont start out at helpdesk where else would they start

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Did u go to school for the certs or self taught? 10 yrs experience... :damn:

And what were the 2 certs that just took u to a new level of cakin?

Went to college but dropped out my senior year. Realized it was a waste of time. The big one that got me cooking was the CISSP.

Was supposed to have my CCIE Security but them fukk nikkas at Cisco updated the exam in the middle of me studying for the labs :pacspit:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Ok so A+ then go help desk what cert route do you recommend

Depends what interests you. Once you're in help desk, figure out what direction you want to go. Database, application support, servers, infrastructure, security.

That's up to you to figure out breh

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
any of yall know how i can

that's how the game goes:yeshrug: . Any tips to getting into application support?

Start learning the application breh. Order a book, learn about it, see if the vendor offers a cert on it, then pass it.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
@Chris.B do you think its worth it to grab the A+ cert or should I hop straight into going for the CCNA i got my BS in MIS
@RubioTheCruel @bdizzle

I'd think about what you want to do and work backwards from there. I always tell people to study the CCENT/NA R/S, even if you don't take the test because the fundamental knowledge is really great to have. I don't touch routers, switches or ASAs every day at my job but things are a lot easier when you know how all the puzzle pieces fit together.