IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

semtex

:)
Daps
Say I wanted to hack a computer, not that I do :whoa:, what language would I have to learn? Hacking has always been a mystery to me.
I'm not into the security side, but there is no hacking-specific language. It would just be the implementation language of whatever you're trying to hack. There's a chapter in my database book on how to do SQL injection :bryan:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Anybody up on Hired.com? :patrice:

I had it pop up when I was on my linkedin. Supposedly tech employers compete to hire you on some auction type-ish. Seems cool :ehh:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Just wanted to update

After a complete resume overhaul, My cousin has been averaging 5-7 calls a day. Has 3 interviews set up next week.

That's good to hear breh. Let us know if he lands the job he's looking for...I'm sure he will.

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What are some good languages to learn? I plan on starting my associates in Information systems and I have the option of learning SQL(mandatory) and 2 other languages. The choices are java , JavaScript, php, c++, perl, and Visual Basic. I'm not interested in game programming. More leaning towards software and web development.
Multi-QuoteReply

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
What are some good languages to learn? I plan on starting my associates in Information systems and I have the option of learning SQL(mandatory) and 2 other languages. The choices are java , JavaScript, php, c++, perl, and Visual Basic. I'm not interested in game programming. More leaning towards software and web development.
Multi-QuoteReply

1. Java since its currently the most popular language in the world and is used for both software and web development.
2. If you choose Java, there is no reason to pick PHP as well (both are backend languages but Java is wayyyy more marketable), so choose Javascript as the 2nd language.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Just wanted to update

After a complete resume overhaul, My cousin has been averaging 5-7 calls a day. Has 3 interviews set up next week.

That's great breh. Hopefully the calls are coming from actual hiring managers and not recruiters. Recruiting agencies can jerk you around and make a lot false promises. Just something for your cousin to be mindful of.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Alright brehs, my comp sci course is using visual studio to teach c++, but going extra slow.

Any good sites that use visual studio to teach c++? For any other comp sci majors, I'm looking for things right before the first data structures course.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Alright brehs, my comp sci course is using visual studio to teach c++, but going extra slow.

Any good sites that use visual studio to teach c++? For any other comp sci majors, I'm looking for things right before the first data structures course.

get a kindle, throw it in landscape mode and buy a book. you'll do much better learning that way since it will be structured. One such example is:
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-4th-ebook/dp/B00DUW4BMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1395852867&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B

Go on amazon after you got your kindle and go through various c++ books and download samples of the various books and buy the one that reads the best to you and work through it.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm really still trying to wrap my mind around 'prototype-based' object-oriented programming. I can kind of see why people don't recommend Javascript as a first language. Thank God for Wikipedia

Unlike class-based systems where objects inherit properties based upon hierarchy, I see that you have to manually link objects together and you essentially create a 'prototype chain'.

Last edited:

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
I'm really still trying to wrap my mind around 'prototype-based' object-oriented programming. I can kind of see why people don't recommend Javascript as a first language. Thank God for Wikipedia

Unlike class-based systems where objects inherit properties based upon hierarchy, I see that you have to manually link objects together and you essentially create a 'prototype chain'.

I'm hoping that since JavaScript is the first language i'm learning then everything else will be simpler:russ:

hopefully:upsetfavre:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm hoping that since JavaScript is the first language i'm learning then everything else will be simpler:russ:

hopefully:upsetfavre:

Yeah, once you learn Javascript, other languages will definitely be easier to learn. Stick with it, since you're already doing it and working with web development. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone who never picked up programming and was asking for a place to start since it uses a form of object-orientedness (prototypical) that is different than what most other languages use (classical). It also has a lot of interesting quirks. It'll just take a little while to really wrap your mind around prototypical inheritance on a deep level and to also understand that everything is an object. What's so bizarre about that is you can create an array like this:
var test = [1,2,3,4];

but since an array is actually an object, you can assign it properties and methods. Here I'm giving it a simple method to multiply two numbers:

test.multiply = function(x,y) {return x*y;};

and then you can call it to multiply two elements inside of it's own array
test.multiply(test[2], test[0]);

The fact that nearly everything, including functions and arrays are types of objects lets you do things like that.

Last edited:

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
Yeah, once you learn Javascript, other languages will definitely be easier to learn. Stick with it, since you're already doing it and working with web development. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone who never picked up programming and was asking for a place to start since it uses a form of object orientation (prototypical) that is different than what most other languages use (classical). It also has a lot of interesting quirks. It'll just take a little while to really wrap your mind around prototypical inheritance on a deep level and to also understand that everything is an object. What's so bizarre about that is you can create an array like this:
var test = [1,2,3,4];

but since an array is actually an object, you can assign it properties and methods. Here I'm giving it a simple method to multiply two numbers:

test.multiply = function(x,y) {return x*y;};

and then you can call it to multiply two elements inside of it's own array
test.multiply(test[2], test[0]);

The fact that nearly everything, including functions and arrays are types of objects lets you do things like that.
sweet jeebus I understand this code:wow:

yeah I just figured out the whole everything is an object from this book i'm reading

to anyone doing sites like codecademy read a book on what you just learned, there's so much more to it then what you learn there.

They didn't tell me that I could create a variable in a functions,Date(), different Math methods, etc. :upsetfavre: