IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah, it does need work

Dude been begging me for help, but I never been great with resumes myself.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
My cousin has been trying to break into an office IT gig for about 2 years with no luck

I left IT many years ago & lost out on connects so I couldn't really help him.

I looked at his resume & I personally don't understand why is it he can't get any level 1 gigs

He's not even getting called for interviews

Anyone mind looking this over?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEdAoxNww_6TnpLTktYc1hWYUk/edit?usp=sharing

What kind of education does he have?

I can't tell from what you posted, but if he's not working with at least an Associate's degree then HR depts are probably tossing his resume in the bushes. Hate to say it but even entry-level helpdesk jobs usually want at least a 2-year degree these days; job market is crowded.

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
What kind of education does he have?

I can't tell from what you posted, but if he's not working with at least an Associate's degree then HR depts are probably tossing his resume in the bushes. Hate to say it but even entry-level helpdesk jobs usually want at least a 2-year degree these days; job market is crowded.

GED and 3 certs are what he has.

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Agreed @FreshFromATL

So I spoke to him tonight and he gave me the full run down of his IT background

He got his first IT gig in 2004 at a computer shop but didn't add it since he didn't want the resume being 3 pages

I told him having resume gaps would raise eye brows and they'll toss it in the recycle bin

He left the job in 2010, but I added a year to it just to make the gap smaller..From what I understand, this was an off the books gig, so HR can't verify employment dates

He has a contractor that brings him on for moves for health first, but it's random..I wanted to add it, but adding "present" to the date would confuse employers & just be resume fluff

I reworked it myself to the best of my ability, but I'm sure it still needs a ton of work

I'm going to work on it more & ideally try to get it all up on 1 page

What do you guys think?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEdAoxNww_6M191ZHZoNXI2dXM/edit?usp=sharing

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Agreed @FreshFromATL

So I spoke to him tonight and he gave me the full run down of his IT background

He got his first IT gig in 2004 at a computer shop but didn't add it since he didn't want the resume being 3 pages

I told him having resume gaps would raise eye brows and they'll toss it in the recycle bin

He left the job in 2010, but I added a year to it just to make the gap smaller..From what I understand, this was an off the books gig, so HR can't verify employment dates

He has a contractor that brings him on for moves for health first, but it's random..I wanted to add it, but adding "present" to the date would confuse employers & just be resume fluff

I reworked it myself to the best of my ability, but I'm sure it still needs a ton of work

I'm going to work on it more & ideally try to get it all up on 1 page

What do you guys think?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEdAoxNww_6M191ZHZoNXI2dXM/edit?usp=sharing

Leave the GED off or put it last at the bottom. Add a summary/objective at the top

ie: "Experienced Support Technician with XX years experience in ......."

Where you have systems, software, and networking; create a new section called Technical Summary or Technical Skills and place all that under there. Also make that more like a list:

TECHNICAL SKILLS
Systems:
Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server
Languages: Visual Studios 2010, Java
Databases: MS SQL Server 2008, MySQL
Software: MS Office Suite, VMware, Citrix, Remedy, Solarwinds Orion
Networking: TCP/IP, HTTP, DHCP, DNS, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, ACLs, VLANs, STP

You can another section like "Qualifications "where you put all the "Firm understanding.... Proficient in ..........."

Employers care most about what you're looking for, what you've done, what your skills are, and most importantly what you have experience in using (as well as the number of years you used it).

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Leave the GED off or put it last at the bottom. Add a summary/objective at the top

Where you have systems, software, and networking; create a new section called Technical Summary or Technical Skills and place all that under their. Also make that more like a list:

TECHNICAL SKILLS
Systems:

You can another section like "Qualifications "where you put all the "Firm understanding.... Proficient in ..........."

Employers care most about what your looking for, what you've done, what your skills are, and most importantly what you have experience in using (as well as the number of years you used it).
Need you to check mine later too fam

krexzen

All Star
Daps

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Where you have systems, software, and networking; create a new section called Technical Summary or Technical Skills and place all that under there. Also make that more like a list:

TECHNICAL SKILLS
Systems:

Employers care most about what you're looking for, what you've done, what your skills are, and most importantly what you have experience in using (as well as the number of years you used it).

Great info! Thank you

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, it does need work

Dude been begging me for help, but I never been great with resumes myself.

I'm not great either but I have interviewed and hired people. One of my friends in HR dropped some good game on me way back when: your resume is supposed to be a story of your career path.
This might be another helpful link:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/job...-network-administrator-service-help-desk.html

In fact I think the entire techexams IT/Jobs sub-forum would be useful to IT job seekers short on experience.

Been posting there for years, very good resource

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC

TECHNICAL SKILLS
Systems: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server

So coming back to this

Resume format should be

Summary
Certs
Skills
Qualifications(should this go before skills? After experience?)
Experience
Education

Resume summary can start off with something along the lines of

CompTIA A+, Net+, & Dell DCSE certified technician, with training, and experience in computer installation, and repair. Areas of expertise are troubleshooting hardware, software, network problems, system upgrades, and system configurations.

I'd them rework this entire portion

Before
gXsX61w.png

After

STiJgml.png

Edit: noticed I left education up top by mistake

I'll move it to the bottom for the final revision

I liked the layout you presented for technical skills, but if I were to lay it out that way, it wouldn't be uniform with the rest of the resume. That would end up being an eyesore, no?

Also, the qualifications portion

Should I have that AND the summary? Or can I get away with making those 2 sections into 1? Part of me feels the qualifications part is resume fluff, but you guys know way more than I do regarding resumes

He really doesn't have a ton of experience, so this shouldn't exceed 2 pages, correct?

Here is the newest revision
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEdAoxNww_6UUdoUkdKRHBlbHc/edit?usp=sharing

krexzen

All Star
Daps
So coming back to this

Resume format should be

Summary
Certs
Skills
Qualifications(should this go before skills? After experience?)
Experience
Education

Resume summary can start off with something along the lines of

I'd them rework this entire portion

Before
gXsX61w.png

After

STiJgml.png

Edit: noticed I left education up top by mistake

I'll move it to the bottom for the final revision

I liked the layout you presented for technical skills, but if I were to lay it out that way, it wouldn't be uniform with the rest of the resume. That would end up being an eyesore, no?

Also, the qualifications portion

Should I have that AND the summary? Or can I get away with making those 2 sections into 1? Part of me feels the qualifications part is resume fluff, but you guys know way more than I do regarding resumes

He really doesn't have a ton of experience, so this shouldn't exceed 2 pages, correct?

Here is the newest revision
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEdAoxNww_6UUdoUkdKRHBlbHc/edit?usp=sharing

First and foremost I'm no expert.

To start off, I would leave certs out of the Summary section. The summary is just supposed to explain what you are and what type of work you want.

I.E. "Experienced tech with 3 years in networking. Looking for a challenging position on a network team...."

Remove "Firm understanding, proficient, etc" from the Technical skills. Just make it a straight up list of what he knows/used. Save the "Proficient, firm understanding, etc...." for the Qualifications.

I would probably put Qualifications second after Summary.

As for experience list every job and technical task he can remember. Don't worry about if it can be verified or not. The primary goal is to get him in the door and in front of or on the phone with an interviewer. He just got to learn how to explain that. Call it contract work etc.

Don't stress over the time line either. Find a way to get it in. Don't omit anything technical.

If you haven't already, I really, really recommend that either you or him read through at least the first 2-3 pages of that thread I linked up.

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
First and foremost I'm no expert.

To start off, I would leave certs out of the Summary section. The summary is just supposed to explain what you are and what type of work you want.

I.E. "Experienced tech with 3 years in networking. Looking for a challenging position on a network team...."

Remove "Firm understanding, proficient, etc" from the Technical skills. Just make it a straight up list of what he knows/used. Save the "Proficient, firm understanding, etc...." for the Qualifications.

I would probably put Qualifications second after Summary.

As for experience list every job and technical task he can remember. Don't worry about if it can be verified or not. The primary goal is to get him in the door and in front of or on the phone with an interviewer. He just got to learn how to explain that. Call it contract work etc.

Don't stress over the time line either. Find a way to get it in. Don't omit anything technical.

If you haven't already, I really, really recommend that either you or him read through at least the first 2-3 pages of that thread I linked up.

Will do!

Got him reading those 2 pages you linked now

I really don't wanna do this, but son is miserable at his current work place & I personally know he has the skills for help desk or desktop support.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Hey, what can a A+ as a AS degree in Networking do? I'm debating signing up for school but I already owe 30k in loans. Is Health Informatics a good field for a older guy?