IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
well i guess i'll have to start buying music, books and software from now on.
:to:

If you haven't already, invest in a Kindle or iPad......read but don't read too much. I think early on in my career( still do it somewhat today ) is I did too much reading but not enough "doing". Now a days I try not to read up on tech unless I plan on using it in some type of way. Better to be frustrated trying to figure something out, then to read a book and memorize something..

lol@the snitch feature.

Beegio

You ni66as don't exist we eat filet mignon
Daps
Taking Security+ exam next week :lupe:
well i guess i'll have to start buying music, books and software from now on.
:to:

I'm going to be covering the CompTIA Security+ course book starting on thursday. If you're interested, let me know.

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Took it earlier this year it wasn't bad at all. I didn't even lab for it, just went through Scott Lowe's book and took a couple practice tests. The rest of my coworkers didn't even study, they just spent a couple days and memorized a brain dump. I can't hate on them cuz they know their shyt, but with kids just can't find time to really study.

But I been "studying" for the VCAP-DCA for about 4 months now and basically getting no where. It's not even that hard, I'm just not focused at all.

Yea i'm in the same situation as well. Prior to me having kids I was going after every cert that would benefit in my career. Now I go for about 1 cert per year. Last year it was F5-CTS (BIG-IP LTM)

This year is VCP 5. If I decide to squeeze in more time I may do another one.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Taking Security+ exam next week :lupe:

I'm going to be covering the CompTIA Security+ course book starting on thursday. If you're interested, let me know.

You trying to get in security, or you just taking the exam because it's being offered?

Beegio

Daps
My boss
You trying to get in security, or you just taking the exam because it's being offered?

My boss taught this course to his department.

He had a course for us that work on and within the network and database/systems analysts, helpdesk, etc. geared towards taking the exam, and a second less technical course to the admin side of his department.

Im doing some of everything except for working on the infrastructure.

They pay for the cert too :ohlawd:

On another, it takes a nation of millions to hold us back steez, come to this meeting our group is having tonight 8 pm est. Its a black initiative breh.

Go to the group "A dollar and a dream" and at least listen to what we have planned.

Build with us breh!!!

Edit: This goes for anybody who wants to build with us. If you want to teach, learn, work, hone your professional skills, volunteer, check out the group first then decide.

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
My boss

My boss taught this course to his department.

He had a course for us that work on and within the network and database/systems analysts, helpdesk, etc. geared towards taking the exam, and a second less technical course to the admin side of his department.

Im doing some of everything except for working on the infrastructure.

They pay for the cert too :ohlawd:

On another, it takes a nation of millions to hold us back steez, come to this meeting our group is having tonight 8 pm est. Its a black initiative breh.

Go to the group "A dollar and a dream" and at least listen to what we have planned.

Build with us breh!!!

Edit: This goes for anybody who wants to build with us. If you want to teach, learn, work, hone your professional skills, volunteer, check out the group first then decide.

:whoa: it was just a question breh, not trying to join any organizations, but good luck with your endeavors.

I was asking cause I'm in security so was just wondering if that was actually something you wanted to pursue.

Beegio

Daps
:patrice:

Yeah, I guess I got a little carried away.

But to answer your question, yes Im interested in Security.

I'm still trying to get my foundation solid before I specialize. Im definitely leaning toward security though.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
tagged, im 30 now and :flabbynsick: when it comes to my certs and IT skills. However I have 6 years of helpdesk/ tier 2 tech experience. I'm slacking and need to step my game up.

Only cert I have is 681:sadbron:

Not to sure where to go from there...

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
So ive been doing some reading up on what I could do with certs. But how important is a degree in the it field vs just having certs? Im in school right now for econ but was thinking of doing copping certs on the side. Would I just be wasting my time if my degree isn't in a tech field?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
So ive been doing some reading up on what I could do with certs. But how important is a degree in the it field vs just having certs? Im in school right now for econ but was thinking of doing copping certs on the side. Would I just be wasting my time if my degree isn't in a tech field?

Not really, if you ever wanted to get into a managerial role you'd pretty much need your bachelors.