IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
My current situation is that i recently graduated with a degree in computer information system, I am currently enrolled in a master program for Management information system with a concentration in Information Security. Currently, I have the basic knowledge and able to code in Java, SQL, C++. I'm not the best programmer but I understand the structure to how code suppose to work. I was trying to start a side hustle while I am in grad school helping people with their technology needs such as computer repair, to tech advice on different issues, or simple website building. I see throughout this thread that one should start off with the A+ certification, how hard is it to pass it with out studying? I was hoping for some guidance from you guys on where I should start.

Have you tried getting any entry level gigs? When you say basic knowledge to write code, what exactly does that mean? What type of program can you write on your own?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Have you tried getting any entry level gigs? When you say basic knowledge to write code, what exactly does that mean? What type of program can you write on your own?

For I.S. majors you usually get just the basics. Which is about 2 semesters of Java or C++, and 2 semesters of sql (the 1st semester is mostly just ER diagrams and normal forms and understanding relationships). Nothing high level. Its a jack of all trades type of major.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
For I.S. majors you usually get just the basics. Which is about 2 semesters of Java or C++, and 2 semesters of sql (the 1st semester is mostly just ER diagrams and normal forms and understanding relationships). Nothing high level. Its a jack of all trades type of major.

That's kinda what I figured. Instead of him going to get a Masters in Information Systems (unless he needs the student loan money), I think it would be best for him to concentrate on getting experience and developing his skillset in some area (whether it be programming or getting certs to add to experience). I don't think getting a Masters is gonna do that for him, it's just gonna add more theory to his knowledge-base, which he probably don't need. That bachelors in Information Systems should be enough to hold him down, he needs to focus on experience and skills, not theory.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
That's kinda what I figured. Instead of him going to get a Masters in Information Systems (unless he needs the student loan money), I think it would be best for him to concentrate on getting experience and developing his skillset in some area (whether it be programming or getting certs to add to experience). I don't think getting a Masters is gonna do that for him, it's just gonna add more theory to his knowledge-base, which he probably don't need. That bachelors in Information Systems should be enough to hold him down, he needs to focus on experience and skills, not theory.

If his college is anything like mine then they are probably pushing their students heavily to pursue their masters. They really do give you the full court press with that. I would've tried it myself had my grades been higher.

The good thing about getting your masters is that it can help with getting into management (if that's something he may want). It's also probably good to get school out of the way all at once. It can be hard to go back after some time away.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
If his college is anything like mine then they are probably pushing their students heavily to pursue their masters. They really do give you the full court press with that. I would've tried it myself had my grades been higher.

The good thing about getting your masters is that it can help with getting into management (if that's something he may want). It's also probably good to get school out of the way all at once. It can be hard to go back after some time away.

Can't really disagree with that.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

to add on to the bolded..companies will ask you this..its common for them to come up with an exam of some sort for you to display some skills if you put it down on your resume..don't let them catch you slippin

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

cosign the bolded to the fullest..i was done with my bachelors and masters by 24 with only an 8 month break in between

Daps
Reppin
MD

Currently, I work for the gov't in DC as a data analyst just got convert from an intern to full time, but my job more business related then tech related. Only reason I am staying so it will be easier to make an agency change when jobs become available. Only programs I have written were for class assignments/projects. Im not the best programmer nor do I like it, but I do understand if there errors how to fix them or if some current code needs modifying, I am able to do that. I pulled C+ in all my programming classes so I know a little something. My best code had to be in my Software Design & Development I class, I was able to set up the database for my team school alumni website we created. I was also able to create php code for the website registration page, log-in page, alumni directory, each user personal page, permission for the 3 types of user on the website. I did have a little help from text books my professor provided me with about SQL & PHP.

Daps
Reppin
MD

my I.S. major is different from most because we fall under school of science. So we take all the CSC classes the CS major take, but instead of taking physics electives, we take business classes.

Daps
Reppin
MD
to add on to the bolded..companies will ask you this..its common for them to come up with an exam of some sort for you to display some skills if you put it down on your resume..don't let them catch you slippin

Accenture did that to me when I interviewed for a job. I had to take an hour long computer test and in person technical interview.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I see they've retired the 701/702 A+ exams and mike meyers new book has the 801/802. Was there that much of a change, i thought they were just changing test numbers. Has the info changed?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Currently, I work for the gov't in DC as a data analyst just got convert from an intern to full time, but my job more business related then tech related. Only reason I am staying so it will be easier to make an agency change when jobs become available. Only programs I have written were for class assignments/projects. Im not the best programmer nor do I like it, but I do understand if there errors how to fix them or if some current code needs modifying, I am able to do that. I pulled C+ in all my programming classes so I know a little something. My best code had to be in my Software Design & Development I class, I was able to set up the database for my team school alumni website we created. I was also able to create php code for the website registration page, log-in page, alumni directory, each user personal page, permission for the 3 types of user on the website. I did have a little help from text books my professor provided me with about SQL & PHP.

Ok, after reading and seeing you don't really like programming (although with what you have done you can probably code better than a lot of nikkas coming out of college these days, lol), I would just stay away from "tradition programming" and do something you enjoy. But man seeing that you a data analyst right now, have business experience, have experience with databases, AND working on a Masters...SQL might be your ticket to the promise land. But if you really trying to get in the networking or security side of the game, holla at these boys on here, they can definitely point you in the right direction.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Accenture did that to me when I interviewed for a job. I had to take an hour long computer test and in person technical interview.

I mean as long as you are about what you really say you're about, it shouldn't be hard. They not asking you to build some type of infrastructure or nothing. They just trying making sure you know the basics more or less. The problem arises when you get nikkas that has been programming in only python or javascript thinking they can apply for gigs that require C++, C# or Java experience.