IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Nice overview, especially with the advice not to become too tethered to a language. I think language choice is really dependent on what you want to do as well. Obviously PHP and Javascript and it's derivatives for web development. Ruby and Python and their web frameworks for general programming with the ability to go onto the web. C/C++ for hardcore game programming. C# for game-programming using the unity library.

I think I'm going to focus on the development/programming side of things, just for the fact that I love creating. I read through one of those massive tomes on A+ and to me, the track seems wack. They don't tell exactly what you need to study for the A+ and a lot of it seems like computer trivia. Who cares how many pins are in such and such processor? All that time I'm wasting memorizing something I could easily look up in a table if needs be I could spend learning how to program and actually produce something. It was nice to learn a bunch of descriptive knowledge on computers, but I didn't really feel like after all of that, that I'd really have tangible skills. You learn a lot about computers, but not how to do anything with them.

Get your plan going, breh. Udemy is a learning tool, but with all do respect, it's trash. I don't really see the value in a model of paying course by course to learn what you need. If you really trying to dive in and learn this technology, you need to hit up Lynda.com, get you an account for $25, per month, and then have access to a FULL library of videos for pretty much every relevant technology out there. Using Udemy, you hustling backwards. And last,, like I stated above, If you in college, you can use your school email to gain access to all of Microsoft's developer tools. And with that, you can get a free, 3-month trial to PluralSight.com, which is just as good as Lynda.com. Honestly, I'd hit up youtube before udemy.

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Nice overview, especially with the advice not to become too tethered to a language. I think language choice is really dependent on what you want to do as well. Obviously PHP and Javascript and it's derivatives for web development. Ruby and Python and their web frameworks for general programming with the ability to go onto the web. C/C++ for hardcore game programming. C# for game-programming using the unity library.

I think I'm going to focus on the development/programming side of things, just for the fact that I love creating. I read through one of those massive tomes on A+ and to me, the track seems wack. They don't tell exactly what you need to study for the A+ and a lot of it seems like computer trivia. Who cares how many pins are in such and such processor? All that time I'm wasting memorizing something I could easily look up in a table if needs be I could spend learning how to program and actually produce something. It was nice to learn a bunch of descriptive knowledge on computers, but I didn't really feel like after all of that, that I'd really have tangible skills. You learn a lot about computers, but not how to do anything with them.

So lemme get this straight. You're not even sure if you wanna be a programmer or a tech, but you wanna give nikkas advice :mindblown:

Breh, just sit back, soak up game, and ask questions. But for God sake if you're still trying to figure out whether you wanna be a web programmer, game developer, or get your A+ you don't need to be giving advie about a subject you don't really know about :whoa:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Get your plan going, breh. Udemy is a learning tool, but with all do respect, it's trash. I don't really see the value in a model of paying course by course to learn what you need. If you really trying to dive in and learn this technology, you need to hit up Lynda.com, get you an account for $25, per month, and then have access to a FULL library of videos for pretty much every relevant technology out there. Using Udemy, you hustling backwards. And last,, like I stated above, If you in college, you can use your school email to gain access to all of Microsoft's developer tools. And with that, you can get a free, 3-month trial to PluralSight.com, which is just as good as Lynda.com. Honestly, I'd hit up youtube before udemy.

Good looking out. Nah, I graduated a while back. Got my degree in accounting, but I don't particularly care for it, hence my switch. I've found udemy to be decent, but it depends on the instructor and what you're attempting to learn. I would feel ripped off if I bought any of those courses for $99, but for $10, it's not a bad deal. With online instruction, especially when the videos are broken up into 5 to 10 minute snippets, I do feel you can only learn so much and you'll eventually have to buy books, but for a general overview, it's not bad. Now Lynda does look to offer a lot more value in that you have access to a bunch of courses for that $25 fee, so I'm sure I'll end up subscribing after I finish up these courses I've purchased.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

How long did it take you to learn SQL?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
How long did it take you to learn SQL?

Not long, if I remember correctly. But I was already familiar with programming and I had an older brother that had been working with SQL for years telling what I needed to study, so it didn't take long at all. SQL is a lot different from regular programming languages because it's declarative, meaning you tell it what to do, and it does it for you, in opposed to procedural languages (Java, C, C++, C#, Objective C, etc.) where you have to build a program step by step. But still, SQL has some of the basic constructs found in all languages (data types, functions, some OO principles, etc.) so your best bet is to get familiar with those terms.

Here is a pretty good resource you can use to get familiar with SQL and database programming (I suggest following along doing everything by hand). This is an online tutorial used by students at Nanyang Technical University (one of the best Tech schools in the WORLD)...

How to Install (on Windows, Macs, Ubuntu) and Get Started with SQL
MySQL by Examples for Beginners
A Quick-Start Tutorial on Relational Database Design
Database Programming: An Intermediate MySQL Tutorial - Scripting, Data Types, Examples
MySQL Sample Databases

Go through those links, learn and complete everything and you should have a pretty solid foundation in SQL and database proprgamming and design. Also, know that ALL websites and 95% of applications is running with some sort of database as its backend. Last, I can't say how quick you'll be able to grasp these concepts because it's totally dependant upon you, how much you study, and how much practice you putting in. Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, and for an FYI, SQL is the ONLY language that I can say without a shadow of a doubt will still be around and kicking 20 years from now. You have concepts like NoSQL trying to get started but SQL is still running strong on about 95% of backend databases. That shyt ain't going no where anytime soon so invested time in SQL is a pretty good investment of time.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Not long, if I remember correctly. But I was already familiar with programming and I had an older brother that had been working with SQL for years telling what I needed to study, so it didn't take long at all. SQL is a lot different from regular programming languages because it's declarative, meaning you tell it what to do, and it does it for you, in opposed to procedural languages (Java, C, C++, C#, Objective C, etc.) where you have to build a program step by step. But still, SQL has some of the basic constructs found in all languages (data types, functions, some OO principles, etc.) so your best bet is to get familiar with those terms.

Here is a pretty good resource you can use to get familiar with SQL and database programming (I suggest following along doing everything by hand). This is an online tutorial used by students at Nanyang Technical University (one of the best Tech schools in the WORLD)...

How to Install (on Windows, Macs, Ubuntu) and Get Started with SQL
MySQL by Examples for Beginners
A Quick-Start Tutorial on Relational Database Design
Database Programming: An Intermediate MySQL Tutorial - Scripting, Data Types, Examples
MySQL Sample Databases

Go through those links, learn and complete everything and you should have a pretty solid foundation in SQL and database proprgamming and design. Also, know that ALL websites and 95% of applications is running with some sort of database as its backend. Last, I can't say how quick you'll be able to grasp these concepts because it's totally dependant upon you, how much you study, and how much practice you putting in. Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, and for an FYI, SQL is the ONLY language that I can say without a shadow of a doubt will still be around and kicking 20 years from now. You have concepts like NoSQL trying to get started but SQL is still running strong on about 95% of backend databases. That shyt ain't going no where anytime soon so invested time in SQL is a pretty good investment of time.

Good looking out with the information man. I read some of your other posts about how you got a degree in Finance and didn't particularly care for it. I feel I'm on the same track. Got a degree in accounting and planned to be a security analyst (analyzing stocks), but I find accounting dreadfully boring and security analysis is not a job that's easy to get. hence, time for me to do something different.

I agree SQL would be a great investment of time and it's a skill that you can use for a multitude of purposes... Database admin... using it to create dynamic web pages, etc.. I think I'll enjoy dealing with databases quite a bit given I really loved using excel and it's tables to manage data, and it was actually using a bit of VBA to save a ton of time that made me look back into programming. I had fun going through a few online tutorials with SQL and learning the basics, but I know if I get advanced, I will be able to do some very powerful things with it.

I've pretty much decided my track:
HTML5/CSS > Javascript (Ajax, J-Query) > (?) > SQL... the ? is for me trying to decide which server side scripting language to choose. I'm having a tough time figuring if I want to do node.js, PHP or something like Python/Django or Ruby on Rails. Any recommendations on those? I'll probably stick with node.js since I won't have to use a new language.

What do you think of HTML5? I think it will be huge... it essentially eliminates a ton of plug-ins and allows you to develop web-apps.

emerald

Mother Earth
Daps
Reppin
charlotte, nc
I'm interested in entering the IT field too.

I have no IT experience or certifications except basic computer knowledge. I'll be enrolling spring 2014 for my A.A.S. in Computer Information Technology. I don't know which area I want to specialize in yet but I guess it'll be between networking and security. I'm not interested in programming and I want to incorporate graphic design, healthcare IT and management into my career path. I'll try my best to find an entry-level IT job while in school and study for the A+ certification exam.

any advice?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm interested in entering the IT field too.

I have no IT experience or certifications except basic computer knowledge. I'll be enrolling spring 2014 for my A.A.S. in Computer Information Technology. I don't know which area I want to specialize in yet but I guess it'll be between networking and security. I'm not interested in programming and I want to incorporate graphic design, healthcare IT and management into my career path. I'll try my best to find an entry-level IT job while in school and study for the A+ certification exam.

any advice?

Get your A+, get your first job, figure out where in IT you wanna be, then make a career plan. Your first job will help you decide where your passion is.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Certs are important in certain areas of IT. I'm in security, so certs are very importantant. For programmers, I don't think it matters all that much. If you want to be a developer what I'd recommend is going on Monster, looking for jobs that pay 150k+ and seeing what skills/experience are required. Then your job is to make a plan to have those skills/experience in the next 5 years.

Always have a plan breh. Without it you'll be a :flabbynsick: IT cat making 40k with 45k in student loan debt :skip:
this is good advice.
i would say check out dice.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._outsourcers_are_top_L_1_visa_users_U.S._says

IT offshore outsourcers are top L-1 visa users, U.S. says
IEEE-USA says government report shows that L-1 visa is tool for offshoring jobs

Computerworld - The IEEE-USA is calling for reform of the L-1 visa program following release of a government report that identified IT offshore outsourcers as its major users.

In the recently released report, the Dept. of Homeland Security's Inspector General (IG) called some of L-1 visa program's rules vague and in need of improvement. With no changes, the program is at risk for fraud and abuse, the IG's report said.

The report offers a series of recommendations for tightening the program to prevent problems.

The largest users of the L-1 visa are companies either based in India or with operations there, according to the report, compiled at the request of the U.S. Senate's leading H-1B critic, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa). The L-1 visas are used by many of the same firms that use H-1B visas.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
if you look at linkedin and other online freelancing sites, when it comes to bidding on work, there are indian companies and contractors everywhere.

Daps
Reppin
MD
My current situation is that i recently graduated with a degree in computer information system, I am currently enrolled in a master program for Management information system with a concentration in Information Security. Currently, I have the basic knowledge and able to code in Java, SQL, C++. I'm not the best programmer but I understand the structure to how code suppose to work. I was trying to start a side hustle while I am in grad school helping people with their technology needs such as computer repair, to tech advice on different issues, or simple website building. I see throughout this thread that one should start off with the A+ certification, how hard is it to pass it with out studying? I was hoping for some guidance from you guys on where I should start.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
My current situation is that i recently graduated with a degree in computer information system, I am currently enrolled in a master program for Management information system with a concentration in Information Security. Currently, I have the basic knowledge and able to code in Java, SQL, C++. I'm not the best programmer but I understand the structure to how code suppose to work. I was trying to start a side hustle while I am in grad school helping people with their technology needs such as computer repair, to tech advice on different issues, or simple website building. I see throughout this thread that one should start off with the A+ certification, how hard is it to pass it with out studying? I was hoping for some guidance from you guys on where I should start.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult. I was an IS major too and the A+ covered a lot of stuff you learn in the 100 - 300 level courses. Hardware concepts, basic networking, and understanding of windows xp/7. It should not be too hard for you, check out some of the links in my sig.

I got mine a couple years after I graduated and it took a little under a month (and I was rusty in my knowledge).

edit: I still think you should get a book to study from. The A+ isn't overly difficult, but no certification should be taken lightly. Unless you have years in the game you should always study at least a little (book/videos and practice tests).