IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Quick update on my end, market is trash, can’t even get a help desk interview. My networking game getting a lil better tho, made a few connections that might be able to get me a position somewhere. Also connected with a friend of a friend that will let me shadow him. Anyone else out there struggling to find something that’s entry level? Lemme get back to these labs tryhackme.

Thank you annd i definitely understand that i have years of customer service experience but looking at these helpdesk requirements for these jobs is dishearting. They almost want us to have a 4 year degree, multiple certs and im seeing alot of random SQL and other random requirements.

I went through the same things and this was back when the job market was good.

Now, the "tech" job market has imploded and the people making the decisions aren't being honest about it. Record profits and layoffs?
:aicmon:

They've cut the mid, mid-senior and senior roles so there's a lot of competition for those jobs when they get posted. And that hurts upward mobility for people trying to move on from entry level positions.

And when those entry level jobs do come on the market, there are a lot of candidates with a few years of experience applying because they're desperate and companies are taking advantage of the situation.

Companies are also consolidating roles to cut staff size and payrolls to a ridiculous point. I've seen jobs openings requiring people to be database and unified communications admins. Who the hell has that combination of skills? Most DBAs do and know nothing besides databases.

I know remote is preferred but I would throw all of my efforts towards the hybrid/in office roles especially if you live in an area that's doing okay job wise. It's better to compete against the people in your area vs the whole country. I would also look for "tech-adjacent" jobs. Like jobs that may not be strictly IT/IS but could get you some exposure to things like ticketing systems, etc. I knew someone that went from a customer service role at Comcast to working in a NOC.