IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

yourgod

Pro
Daps
Just gotta knock off pentest+ and the capstone and im done with wgu. Anyone got any pointers on what direction to move on from here? I see helpdesk is typically the goto to get some experience. I wanna move into cloud eventually, gonna try and get the aws practitioner cert while I’m doin the capstone. For anyone else in wgu right now the cybersec program is cool, the net+ and cysa were pretty tough. They give u a free voucher for the ccsp after one of the last courses u take too.

Aceofspades404

Superstar
Daps
Saw this on LinkedIn
Amazon Security's Application Security team is heading to Atlanta!

If you're a Security Engineer or Technical Program Manager (TPM) in Atlanta interested in working on complex security challenges, we’d love to meet you and tell you more about upcoming job openings with our team in Atlanta.

Register for the opportunity to be considered for our private, in-person networking event on Wednesday, January 31st at 6:00pm– 7:30pm: LinkedIn

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
been looking towards a career I could maybe transition into and I started looking into QA

Are there any skills I should develop before going into a boot camp? I ask as someone who's working currently in marketing

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Just gotta knock off pentest+ and the capstone and im done with wgu. Anyone got any pointers on what direction to move on from here? I see helpdesk is typically the goto to get some experience. I wanna move into cloud eventually, gonna try and get the aws practitioner cert while I’m doin the capstone. For anyone else in wgu right now the cybersec program is cool, the net+ and cysa were pretty tough. They give u a free voucher for the ccsp after one of the last courses u take too.
Get an azure certification. Apply to everything. You might be able to skip help desk because of wgu.

slikkp

Pro
Daps
I got promoted at my job from Sr. WAN Engineer to the network architecture team. I don't get to touch equipment much anymore aside from maintaining the RA VPN equipment; I just create the configs the teams use to put on the devices. I miss being in the trenches but a 25k boost to do less work ain't really something I should complain about.

I'm currently using my free time to get deeper into VPN technology and I'm thinking I'm gonna make a run at becoming a network automation engineer. I'm gonna start with the Udemy 100 Days of Python class then jump into Cisco's DevNet professional.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I start my first day on the 13th, how has your experience been? Anything you need to brush up on?
It was a lot to learn here before I even got on the phone

my first week by myself is Monday
If you passed or have been studying the ccna
You will recognize a lot of shyt and be introduced to a deeper understanding of it

I work at an isp so it’s mpls and vlans

It threw me off at layer 2 being used across a connection to different companoes

But you have to look at it like all one big network

Art Norm

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Need some advice brehs. Currently working at UPS part time and wanting to take advantage of their tuition reimbursement program. I was a driver for a while, but had to stop due to a medical condition and I was placed back in the warehouse. I started doing auto mechanic work to supplement the income that I had lost, but I'm over that. I'll be registering at the local community college. They offer courses in Business IT Support, Computer Programming/Development, Cyber security, Healthcare Management, and Networking And Visualization. I'm leaning towards IT support because I feel it fits my skill set. Really looking to pursue something that I can parlay into a work from home job. Something I can do after I finish my shift at UPS, as I'm usually out of there by 8AM, sometimes earlier than that. I'm not looking to make a crazy amount of money either. Should I go for the associate degree, diploma, or just certs? Thanks in advance.

TRBM

See me, only me...
Daps
Thinking about transferring to wgu, gonna take a 40 credit hit, but being able to go at my own pace and the certs make It seem worth it

How long it take you?