IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

yourgod

Pro
Daps
Thinking about transferring to wgu, gonna take a 40 credit hit, but being able to go at my own pace and the certs make It seem worth it

How long it take you?
About 2.5 years since i work fulltime. After going through it I can see how some people can get it done much quicker, especially if you got the time to dedicate towards knockin out classes.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why do I want to work at a company? Specifically, why do I care about HR software? In the last interview, the guy said that the person who left role was asked this question and said he didn’t care. And they had to pull strings to get him the job

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
What’s the best way to study for the Security plus cert. I just moved to the DMV area. I’m going for a GS job has anybody used the comptia websites self pace study guide and cert master practice?

Daps
Anybody work out of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?

I did years ago. The company I was with at the time used OCI to host instances so I don't know about any other services. My only memory was how terrible the experience was. Some of the VMs were insanely unstable regardless of their use. Reboots took forever even if you disabled update services. It's possible the VMs were poorly built and maintained but I doubt it. Different applications made by different vendors on different VMs would have the same problem. OCI is a shyt service IMO.

Last edited:
Daps
What’s the best way to study for the Security plus cert. I just moved to the DMV area. I’m going for a GS job has anybody used the comptia websites self pace study guide and cert master practice?

I used Mark Ciampa's CompTIA Security+ guide. I thought it was a good read. I did have a good understanding of networking, which is a big part of the Security+ so that helped. But I think Mark's material is easy enough to understand. Or it was to me.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Working on Network + now, and job hunting
You gonna get your foot in door with help desk? I would say make a list of everyone you know who has a corporate type gig and see if they can get you in door or make connection with IT dept. You would be surprised. Most dont do that but that is quickest way to get hired, you probably overqualified. Thats how you do a quick job hunt.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gonna get your foot in door with help desk? I would say make a list of everyone you know who has a corporate type gig and see if they can get you in door or make connection with IT dept. You would be surprised. Most dont do that but that is quickest way to get hired, you probably overqualified. Thats how you do a quick job hunt.
I have no experience so I'll have to start at help desk.

I'm trying to network right now, but fast money has slowed up :mjcry:

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Any accountants/CPAs in this thread? I'm interested in looking into these certs, i want more bread lmao