IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Got a job at a noc
What salary should I ask for?

I made 50k at my last msp help desk role
It's going to be hard for anyone to provide an good answer without knowing your area and what your actual responsibilities are in this role. What's the lowest amount you'd be willing to accept? What if all the offered was 50k, would that be acceptable?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
It's going to be hard for anyone to provide a good answer without knowing your area and what your actual responsibilities are in this role. What's the lowest amount you'd be willing to accept? What if all the offered was 50k, would that be acceptable?
It said 52000 something on the posting
But in the interview they asked did the other dudes discuss salary?

So if they ask me what I want I’m going to say 55 to 60k, but I’m comfortable with what was listed

I’m in Detroit

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

So if they ask me what I want I’m going to say 55 to 60k, but I’m comfortable with what was listed

I’m in Detroit
Without knowing more, your range sounds reasonable to me

WHolla09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I took a peek
So I’m a watch officer which is sometimes similar to noc, depending on where you at. The average salary in my area was between $60K and 80 K, so I said 70K since I didn’t have much technical experience. They actually came back with an offer higher than 80K. So whatever estimates you seen for your job in your area, start towards medium high range and hopefully they give you a fair offer back

TRBM

See me, only me...
Daps

I’m in Detroit
What about asking what the budget is for the role?

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Why is Cybersecurity still being marketed as a viable career for Entry level if they arent actually hiring any entry level people? Apparently Cyber security is supposed to get larger due to the growth of ioT and embedded systems.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I will be doing PCI , ISO and HIPPA security projects in 2024. As much little work , life balance I have here, I know another year here. I will be in a good situation.

:francis: Realizing all my cloud certs expire this coming year..AWS and GCP.....I also need to learn Azure. I just got done working on Azure project and truth is I don't even know what's going on. I feel like there were controls missing from the client end but because I never studied Azure, I couldn't confidently say that to a client.

It is going to be a long year next year. End of the year, I want to work at the likes Boston Consulting Group. Hope I am not too old by then lol.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Why is Cybersecurity still being marketed as a viable career for Entry level if they arent actually hiring any entry level people? Apparently Cyber security is supposed to get larger due to the growth of ioT and embedded systems.

As entry level? I'm currelty trying to break into cyber but dont know where to start tbh. Mostly interested in securing ioT, embedded systems.

What are your current qualifications? Maybe I can help you out with tips. That was me 5 years ago. I got lucky I started as a Senior Level Security Engineer at an MSP because I was able to impress during an interview but I took a year plus of rejections. Getting rejected a lot was very depressing to say the least.

A lot of people are looking for experience hires which is dumb. Although I can admit that learning is not the same as doing on a daily basis.