IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
I started the ServiceNow externship on Monday. I've been speaking being a Systems Admin into existence and this will be my opportunity. I wasn't interested in the Dev route prior but it's enticing now. Some of the folks I speak with say they have great work/life balance, make good $$, and the work isn't difficult due to SN being low-code.
I'm currently in week 4 of the course and it isn't too difficult so far. I have a habit of missing small details so I have to review some of the modules again. The first instructor was new to teaching so I'll give her props, but she never could answer questions folks had and seemed lost. She got replaced at the end of the second week by a vet and I'm grateful because this new instructor is 1000x better :ohlawd:

They gave us free access to the Now Learning platform, plus vouchers for the CSA and CAD after completion, and I honestly could've knocked this out by now if I weren't a habitual procrastinator :francis: I'll finish it by next week and schedule to take the CSA sometime next month, then I'll start the Application Developer course.

Last edited:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Identity and Access Management aint shyt but people running to the most important person they can find to try and lean on you to prioritize them :beli: Can't wait to get into Cybersecurity proper-- AWAY from end users

Last edited:
Daps
Did you use any Cisco equipment to study for labs? I'm currently studying for the CCNA right now.

Good luck bro

But naw i just used packet tracer labs from jeremys it lab channel, as well as his flash cards. Also used OCG books

Tbh all you gotta get is really good at 2 or 3 categories, and decent in the other ones atleast and you will pass. Be able to subnet in your head in less then 10 seconds and know how to read routing tables. Wireless and IPV6 were big too.. afew spanning tree questions. Alot of security as well

Download Cisco packet tracer. If you want your CCNP; download CML or set up EVE-NG.

I have some CCNA study material if anyone's interested. It's a combination of Power Point slides and a bunch of packet tracer labs.

The material covers the 100-105 and 200-105. I don't know the difference between those exams and the 200-301 since I haven't taken a deep dive in the new exam. I'm assuming there's more automation in the 200-301.

The material I have covers spanning tree, ACLs, routing (dynamic and static), link aggregation, port mirroring, unified communication, QoS, DMZs, tunneling, trunking, NAT, AAA, Radius, TACAS, etc.

The size of all of the material is probably over 700 MB. I may need recommendations on a good hosting site from a JBO-adjacent poster. :jbhmm:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Does anyone have any good recommendations to prep for the AZ-900? All these _____ is IAAS, PAAS, or SAAS questions are kickin my "AAS" :why:

Young

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whats the best way to find a role in another city? yall link up with recruiters or just send out applications? I don't think anyone looks at online applications anymore since every job has 500+ irrelevant resumes submitted no matter what

ChiefKenji

Lord Cuts
Daps
Reppin
Spazz
Been in a SOC analyst position for way too long with no change and boring as hell.. 3+ years. Jumped into it within Covid and was stricty WFH. Now I am in the office 3 days a week and seeing how soul crushing this is. Im not standing in my power mentally and also recently physically.

What do you guys recommend to do next? The Company im with does not offer any other route within blue or red teaming for me so I definately decided to bounce in 2024.

Right now, the company has kind of made me feel like Cybersecurity aint it for the long haul, atleast within Europe for the black man. No inspiring environment as a whole. Contemplating other routes/mentorship, even outside of Cybersec. I have a very creative and philosophic mind. Also planning to get some sort of Job Coach. I want to work in an environment where there are lots of intelligent black people thriving so I can be inspired and motivated to come into the office forreal..

Yall have any suggestions?

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Been in a SOC analyst position for way too long with no change and boring as hell.. 3+ years. Jumped into it within Covid and was stricty WFH. Now I am in the office 3 days a week and seeing how soul crushing this is. Im not standing in my power mentally and also recently physically.

What do you guys recommend to do next? The Company im with does not offer any other route within blue or red teaming for me so I definately decided to bounce in 2024.

Right now, the company has kind of made me feel like Cybersecurity aint it for the long haul, atleast within Europe for the black man. No inspiring environment as a whole. Contemplating other routes/mentorship, even outside of Cybersec. I have a very creative and philosophic mind. Also planning to get some sort of Job Coach. I want to work in an environment where there are lots of intelligent black people thriving so I can be inspired and motivated to come into the office forreal..

Yall have any suggestions?
Unfortunately nowadays companies won’t push to change unless you’re in a big tech one.

Cybersecurity is fine in Europe as a black man as I am one too working for FAANG-ish and there are a lot of opportunities and networking points. Key thing is that you need to know your end goal, even if it’s a 5 year goal. I’m at the stage where I feel stuck because I haven’t thought outside of the next 3 years which I will do over Christmas.

Once you know what area you want to go down look at people on LinkedIn, look at their experience and study areas. You’ll need to self fund studies or certification for yourself too. With all the budget limits there’s no getting around that nowadays.

ChiefKenji

Lord Cuts
Daps
Reppin
Spazz
Unfortunately nowadays companies won’t push to change unless you’re in a big tech one.

Cybersecurity is fine in Europe as a black man as I am one too working for FAANG-ish and there are a lot of opportunities and networking points. Key thing is that you need to know your end goal, even if it’s a 5 year goal. I’m at the stage where I feel stuck because I haven’t thought outside of the next 3 years which I will do over Christmas.

Once you know what area you want to go down look at people on LinkedIn, look at their experience and study areas. You’ll need to self fund studies or certification for yourself too. With all the budget limits there’s no getting around that nowadays.
Thats whatsup. International companies. I work in a core dutch company :francis: so that explains alot. Company is offering me a severence package since I complained about progression. Whats your take on this? Definately gives me the push and funds to upgrade tbh.