IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
@Kurt Cocaine If you had to choose, just go with getting basic certs and getting your foot in the door imo. The IT field appears to be all about experience and certifications (mostly experience). I suggest you do read through this thread when you get a chance though. So much knowledge in here breh. You can finish your degree later if it's a personal goal of yours...btw a Computer Science degree is more along the path of a programming career.

Exit9NJturnpike

Gmen Giants Big Blue
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Brunswick, NJ
@Kurt Cocaine If you had to choose, just go with getting basic certs and getting your foot in the door imo. The IT field appears to be all about experience and certifications (mostly experience). I suggest you do read through this thread when you get a chance though. So much knowledge in here breh. You can finish your degree later if it's a personal goal of yours...btw a Computer Science degree is more along the path of a programming career.
Thanks breh

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
@patscorpio hey breh since I see you're online right now and :eat: off of IT got a quick question..

I'm getting my school registration stuff set up right now at a 2 year college..picked IT and they give me a few options for concentration

29gc20h.jpg

Which is the best to start off with?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
@patscorpio hey breh since I see you're online right now and :eat: off of IT got a quick question..

I'm getting my school registration stuff set up right now at a 2 year college..picked IT and they give me a few options for concentration

29gc20h.jpg

hmm to help you decide..which area interests you the most? that's how I based my decisions in the beginning of this IT stuff

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
hmm to help you decide..which area interests you the most? that's how I based my decisions in the beginning of this IT stuff

To be honest, I just want to start with something that has the better upside as far as pay and job opportunities. :manny: I was looking at these two though they caught my eye from the descriptions:

http://catalog.southwest.tn.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=1&poid=56&returnto=47

http://catalog.southwest.tn.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=1&poid=54&returnto=47

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
To be honest, I just want to start with something that has the better upside as far as pay and job opportunities. :manny: I was looking at these two though they caught my eye from the descriptions:

http://catalog.southwest.tn.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=1&poid=56&returnto=47

http://catalog.southwest.tn.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=1&poid=54&returnto=47

in that case networking or application development programming would be for you...but damn near everyone starts off doing support first as you get your skills up..in terms of application development programing...but ive done a programming gig before..you have to love coding in order to really succeed in it

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Thanks alot breh I don't think built for that coding life at least not yet. I will try networking out.
in that case networking or application development programming would be for you...but damn near everyone starts off doing support first as you get your skills up..in terms of application development programing...but ive done a programming gig before..you have to love coding in order to really succeed in it

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX

Go with the Networking joint because the other is basically A+, which is something that can be self taught with ease if you have the basic skills (troubleshooting process, knowledge of parts, etc). I would even get the basic core certs (A+, Net+, Sec+) while taking those classes while the information is fresh.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Go with the Networking joint because the other is basically A+, which is something that can be self taught with ease if you have the basic skills (troubleshooting process, knowledge of parts, etc). I would even get the basic core certs (A+, Net+, Sec+) while taking those classes while the information is fresh.

Thanks. So how do you go about taking the tests to get your certs? That part I'm kinda cloudy on.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
Thanks. So how do you go about taking the tests to get your certs? That part I'm kinda cloudy on.

First you gotta get nice on the practice exams. There are a lot of vendors out there but I personally had the most success with the MeasureUp joints:
http://www.measureup.com/All-CompTIA-Practice-Tests-C322.aspx
These are almost always as close to the real test as you can get so once you clocking a 90 or above consistently, you'll breeze through the real thing. You can either pay for them or find a torrent.

Once you finished studying, you can buy a voucher and schedule a test near you at a time that works best:

http://www.comptiastore.com/Articles.asp?ID=265&category=vouchers

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
First you gotta get nice on the practice exams. There are a lot of vendors out there but I personally had the most success with the MeasureUp joints:
http://www.measureup.com/All-CompTIA-Practice-Tests-C322.aspx
These are almost always as close to the real test as you can get so once you clocking a 90 or above consistently, you'll breeze through the real thing. You can either pay for them or find a torrent.

Once you finished studying, you can buy a voucher and schedule a test near you at a time that works best:

http://www.comptiastore.com/Articles.asp?ID=265&category=vouchers

:salute:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

It's a higher learning curve, but a good linux admin can make serious bank.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

29gc20h.jpg

Are you allowed to pick 2?

Take networking and Linux/UNIX.....you have opened yourself with 6 figures when you beast both...

Take it from a pro.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Are you allowed to pick 2?

Take networking and Linux/UNIX.....you have opened yourself with 6 figures when you beast both...

Take it from a pro.

Not at the same time I don't believe. I could swing Linux at a technical school here afterwards though. :ahh:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Never noticed this thread, and I haven't looked through it yet. Brief history on me, i've had alot bad recent history with universities. I basically should've received my bachelor's back in 2010, but was unable to finish my last year because of financial aid problems. Why am I in a IT Certs career thread, well basically i feel like i've wasted thousands of dollars and i'm unsure if a bachelor's in Criminal Justice is even worth it. Yesterday I checked out an IT school or whatever (PC Age) they offer a 9 month program and after that your certified with all the basic certs I guess. My question is should I just finish my Senior year at an university and get my B.A. in CJ or if I get all the certs (I think PC age offers like 7 or 8 of them) are there real opportunities out there? and is a B.A. in Computer Science necessary. I'm interested in being a network engineer.

you should research this more...what kind of certs and how much are they charging? don't you still have to take the certification test to get certified even if you complete a course at a trade school? i'm always fishy about these programs since this is stuff you can learn on your own. and forget about computer science since that deals more with programming.

as for your degree, it's not going to hurt you if you have it. I personally think you should finish the CJ degree since you're really close and you'll gain a sense of pride too. the network engineer at my job got his BA in music and the system engineer got his in nutrition so if you're looking to get a hands on job then a degree in something IT related isn't necessary, it's more about experience and certs to help you get that interview and then it's on you to show them that you're a good fit.

if i were you, i would knock that degree out and at the same time study for the A+ if you can and then look for a job to get your foot in the door.