IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Thanks. Usually within the job postings or during the initial phone/email inquiry it seems the listed price for a jr. network engineer falls around $45k.

In part I'm trying figure out the market value. I've always thought a jr. network engineer would fall more in the $55,000 - 65,000 range while a more experienced engineer around $70k and above. While I don't want ask for an outrageous amount, I don't want to settle for a low ball offer either. I really don't mind relocating, so if salaries are higher elsewhere, I'd like to know that too.

It ain't eem that serious breh. You give a salary, if they agree they'll pay, if not they'll say it's too high and give you their rate. At that point it's up to you to decide whether you wanna work for that amount.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
breh this recruiter called me and told me to send him my resume with the message "happy for *recruiter at Harvey Nash to represent your resume to Gerber for this position and no other agency"

what should i do??

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
breh this recruiter called me and told me to send him my resume with the message "happy for *recruiter at Harvey Nash to represent your resume to Gerber for this position and no other agency"

what should i do??

You put your name on the exclusivity clause

You probably won't hear back from him regarding the Gerber position though

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
From what it sounds like, he's trying to make sure that if you wind up working at Gerber, its only through him. Multiple recruiters are trying to fill the 1 or however many positions at Gerber. You can always call him up and ask him what it means, and let him know your not interested in exclusitivity if his explanation doesn't sit well with you.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any SQL love?? Trying to figure out if I should dive into more advanced Cisco or SQL?? What would you do?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any SQL love?? Trying to figure out if I should dive into more advanced Cisco or SQL?? What would you do?

You'll probably have better job prospects working with databases than with Cisco equipment. Mainly because it's so hard to get experience on high end Cisco equipment.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You'll probably have better job prospects working with databases than with Cisco equipment. Mainly because it's so hard to get experience on high end Cisco equipment.
Thanks I was thinkin about hitting a non-credit course on sql in the fall...

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Same here bro. What book are you using to study?

I actually have two books. The first book I'm working through is this one:
amazon.com/CompTIA-220-801-220-802-Authorized-ebook/dp/B00943SZ8I

This book is very text-bookish and can be a boring read, but it has a ton of information in it.

This is the other book I have:
amazon.com/CompTIA-220-801-220-802-Authorized-ebook/dp/B008K4TCW0
From what I've read of the Cram book, you should read another book first since it assumes you have a lot of base knowledge already. It kind of jumps into things like the Northbridge and Southbridge without really going into a lot of depth into what they are and how it relates to the computer. The first book is more like an 'encyclopedia' of computer topics, describing everything in a textbookish format, and this is more like a 'study guide'. It's more geared towards 'taking the test' than anything.

I'm considering about getting this one as well
amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-220-801-220-802-ebook/dp/B008SA1I3W

From the sample I've read, this one seems the easiest to get into. I'd recommend this book as a first purchase, even though it's more expensive than the others.
Do I really need 3 books for the exam? Probably not, but it'll be better to have numerous sources for information just to be overly prepared rather than under.