IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It depends on the type of technology projects the company plans on implementing. I've quit jobs just because the IT Manager picked a technology I thought wouldn't further my career. At this one company I was in charge of the VOIP implementation and the IT Manager picked Avaya over Cisco despite my objections. After the project was finished and I had enough experience with Avaya to understand it I quit to work someplace else. I wasn't going to get stuck working on technology I viewed as inferior which would limit my career prospects.

Believe it or not most companies only buy from leading vendors in those Gartner Quadrant Reports. If you can't gain access to those reports just look at job boards to see which technologies are the most in demand. If you get stuck working on technology nobody else in the market uses you'll end up at the mercy of your employer. But if they know you can easily jump ship somewhere else they won't take you for granted.

Thanks for the advice....thats kinda how ive ended up in the situation playing the job board requirements. Thank for the name drop on the GQR...ive never heard of that before

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I administer Sharepoint servers among other things. We've recently migrated our existing Sharepoint 2007 environment over to Sharepoint 2013.

We had to totally redesign the farm from the ground up. I deployed 12 Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise VM's for production and development.

In order to maintain/Administer Sharepoint you need to know understand load balancing when you are dealing with a Sharepoint farm.

Also know and understand fundamental SQL database administration.

TheyCallMeAzul

All Star
Daps
I'm gonna be a sophomore this year, studying to get a degree in IT (also Finance, but that's just to fall back on) . I've always had a love for computers and technology, and given the pay that normally comes with a career in the field, I think it's a perfect fit. For anyone that has a career in IT, has working with technology ever gotten old for you? This is probably my biggest concern.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
I need some advice on getting out of the NOC.

Brehs I did 9 months studying Voice and getting my certs for one company and was on a path towards being a Voice Eng. I was able to obtain my CCNA and had completed the Routing & Switching portions of the CCNP before leaving. My girl wanted me to move out here to the DMV so I dropped the Voice work and took a spot in a NOC(Tier I/II support, emails, and phone calls). Now with 1 year plus time spent here I really want to get back on my Networking game. This job just doesn't challenge me at all. Not really being able to use much of what I learned from CCNA or touch physical equipment I'm really going to have to put in that work to complete my CCNP. I was able to take on some duties from our NetEng team and do a lot of VPN monitoring(learning configs and acls at the moment). Are VPNs popping in the field? Should I invest in learning more?

What should my next move be to get out of the NOC and back working in the daylight:laugh:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Any brehs here trying to learn SQL, database programming, and the role its plays in the world of IT? Here is a set of videos from a kid on youtube and this kid has a understanding of relational databases like no other. His SQL set include like 67 videos...And just an FYI, a good understanding of Unix and SQL can net you a pretty-good salary these days...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_c9BZzLwBRKHaa-qY7N-bmZYLPx3RYVB

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Anybody interested in Java, HTML/CSS, scripting languages like PHP/JavaScript/Python, C, Android Development, Object-Oriented Design, Design Patterns, etc? Here is a set of videos from Derek Banas, dude is a former Developer for Apple...His videos are SUPER in-depth...just go through his playlist to find what you're looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas/videos?flow=grid&live_view=500&sort=dd&view=1

• Dap
Reactions: Czr