IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Man whats some good sites to post your resume on, cuz monster is :trash:

Try dice.com. Careerbuilder is ok too (but mostly for contract work). You can also give indeed.com a try, but I don't know too much about them.

krexzen

All Star
Daps

Thanks breh, I'm looking through this and other salary guides, but what I'm seeing in these articles and documents are far different than what I'm hearing and seeing from recruiters and job posting boards.

I know that experience and location plays a role, so i'm also curious about different states.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I administer Sharepoint servers among other things. We've recently migrated our existing Sharepoint 2007 environment over to Sharepoint 2013.

We had to totally redesign the farm from the ground up. I deployed 12 Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise VM's for production and development.

In order to maintain/Administer Sharepoint you need to know understand load balancing when you are dealing with a Sharepoint farm.

Also know and understand fundamental SQL database administration.

Learning about load balancing right now and studied SQL in undergrad (still need to refresh on the basic queries/tasks) and thinking about taking the plunge to Sharepoint, who knows might even make it a niche and move in a different direction in IT

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Thanks breh, I'm looking through this and other salary guides, but what I'm seeing in these articles and documents are far different than what I'm hearing and seeing from recruiters and job posting boards.

I know that experience and location plays a role, so i'm also curious about different states.
Yea the recruiters will always try to low ball you, they want to get as much money as they can. My current position is proof of that. I do desktop support and when my company first called me they told me the position was only paying like 50k so I told them :pacspit: the a week later they offered me 60k. Fast forward 8 months later I after switching to the prime I told them I was making 65k, and they gave it to me no questions asked. that means I could have asked for this upfront. And to make matters worse my co worker told me he makes like 90k here :wtf: so it all depends on your past experience, certs, degrees and how good you are at negotiating.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Thanks. Usually within the job postings or during the initial phone/email inquiry it seems the listed price for a jr. network engineer falls around $45k.

In part I'm trying figure out the market value. I've always thought a jr. network engineer would fall more in the $55,000 - 65,000 range while a more experienced engineer around $70k and above. While I don't want ask for an outrageous amount, I don't want to settle for a low ball offer either. I really don't mind relocating, so if salaries are higher elsewhere, I'd like to know that too.

For DMV area jr. network engineer typically falls within that range (50-65k). I know you may not want to hear this now, but dont focus on the money right now. During the interview focus on finding out what you'll be doing on the day-to-day at the job. The best thing you can do right now as a junior with little experience is get into a position that will provide you with tons of hands-on on relevant technology so you can build your resume.

Lets say you have two offers for a junior position one at 70k and one at 55k. You obviously would want 70k, but at that job you may just be doing the same shyt day in day out.. maybe just activating and deactivating switchports all day at the helpdesk on the nightshift. That really does you little good in the grand scheme of things cause you've learned nothing and gained no new skills. once you get tired of that job and look for the next one, you realize you wasted a year cause you still have little experience on real shyt, yet you'll probably be expecting more money which no one will pay you which will leave you frustrated.

The 55k joint may have you working with a team of senior engineers who at first may hand off some of their more mundane tasks to you to take care of, but help you grow to the point where maybe a year later they're letting you handle full projects by yourself. Also theyre encouraging you to get higher-level certs. You do a year or 2 at a place like that and your next position you can demand more money now cause you actually have skills & certs to back you up.

nikkas hate being patient but it really does pay off if you do it the right way. I'm not saying just accept any lowball offer especially since I dont know what bills you have to pay, but focus on getting a job that will be a resume builder for you. experience experience experience should be the only thing on your mind right now. trust, after you get it the money will come.

Rayzah

Daps
For DMV area jr. network engineer typically falls within that range (50-65k). I know you may not want to hear this now, but dont focus on the money right now. During the interview focus on finding out what you'll be doing on the day-to-day at the job. The best thing you can do right now as a junior with little experience is get into a position that will provide you with tons of hands-on on relevant technology so you can build your resume.

Lets say you have two offers for a junior position one at 70k and one at 55k. You obviously would want 70k, but at that job you may just be doing the same shyt day in day out.. maybe just activating and deactivating switchports all day at the helpdesk on the nightshift. That really does you little good in the grand scheme of things cause you've learned nothing and gained no new skills. once you get tired of that job and look for the next one, you realize you wasted a year cause you still have little experience on real shyt, yet you'll probably be expecting more money which no one will pay you which will leave you frustrated.

The 55k joint may have you working with a team of senior engineers who at first may hand off some of their more mundane tasks to you to take care of, but help you grow to the point where maybe a year later they're letting you handle full projects by yourself. Also theyre encouraging you to get higher-level certs. You do a year or 2 at a place like that and your next position you can demand more money now cause you actually have skills & certs to back you up.

nikkas hate being patient but it really does pay off if you do it the right way. I'm not saying just accept any lowball offer especially since I dont know what bills you have to pay, but focus on getting a job that will be a resume builder for you. experience experience experience should be the only thing on your mind right now. trust, after you get it the money will come.
Thats true and I feel you but, like for me I make 64k working on a tier 3 tech for the last 6 years, I had someone come at me with a jr network job paying the exact same amount. My thing is should'nt the more technical position pay you more money, I mean I know its jr but compared to desktop support its the next level. Plus I dont want to leave where im at to make the same money for another year.

Rayzah

Daps
Also they didnt offer PTO for the first 6 months :childplease: