IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Im a complete novice to both fields, and am essentially doing it for job potential...Im not even sure what Id prefer doing at this point, and am mainly looking at it from an entry level job perspective..the programming cert Im looking at only really has java and c++ so it seems as though I'd have to get an additional cert after that to get where i want to be...is that accurate?

As far as looking for a job, a cert in c++ won't increase the number of employers looking for you. The hot things now on the development side or web and mobile development and being able to work with databases. The java cert might help more, since I know that the android SDK is java based (at least from what little android dev i have done).

As stated above, experience is was matters most, and employers would be more impressed by your projects rather than your certifications or degrees. Also, leverage people you know about getting your foot in the door. Recommendations go a long way.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey brehs I am trying to get into Database Administration/Database Development. Whats my best path? I am currently reading up on relational databases and practicing on Oracle SQL Plus. Any tips on job search, getting over lack of experience in the area??

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Hey brehs I am trying to get into Database Administration/Database Development. Whats my best path? I am currently reading up on relational databases and practicing on Oracle SQL Plus. Any tips on job search, getting over lack of experience in the area??

keep practicing. Most of the Sequel language is the same across all platforms (although vendors like to throw in vendor specific things). Basic sequel will be transferable across MySQL, Sequel Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.

Do you have a degree?

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
keep practicing. Most of the Sequel language is the same across all platforms (although vendors like to throw in vendor specific things). Basic sequel will be transferable across MySQL, Sequel Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.

Do you have a degree?

Finishing a BS in Tech Management in August if all goes right.:whoo:

In anycase I am pretty rote on relational databases since I have been taking courses in them these past two semesters. My exp unfortunately is in being a courier the past 2-3 yrs so I am not even sure if I should put that in a resume.
So I really have no idea how to land a gig. Is it easier to land Developer or DBA gig?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Finishing a BS in Tech Management in August if all goes right.:whoo:

In anycase I am pretty rote on relational databases since I have been taking courses in them these past two semesters. My exp unfortunately is in being a courier the past 2-3 yrs so I am not even sure if I should put that in a resume.
So I really have no idea how to land a gig. Is it easier to land Developer or DBA gig?

To get a DBA gig, you gonna need some experience. The reason I was asking whether or not you had a degree was to see if you may fit in some type of Business Analyst role. I think getting into a BA role may be an easier route to take to get in the game than trying to get a developer or DBA role off the bat. To be a developer, they're gonna know what projects you have worked on.

With getting a BA in Tech Management (I'm assuming you've gotten exposed to the business side of organizations as well as certain technical components) and taking those relational database courses, you may be suited for an analyst role and once you get that, you can work your way to the developer/DBA side of the house.

How good are you with querying and setting up databases? You familiar with 1st, 2nd, 3rd Normal forms? 1 to 1 relationships? Joins, unions, subqueries, primary and foreign keys, indexes, triggers, data modeling, etc?

If you cool with all of the ^ above, start putting your resume out and check out the responses you get. If a job offer you $40,000 per year starting out, don't turn it down on some "I think I'm worth more" type shyt, take it and do it for about a year to gain experience and move on. You may get contacted by some contracting firms as well, they are good when trying to gain experience too.

Oh, and how nice is you with Unix/Linux? A good working knowledge of Unix and Sequel can definitely get you in the game.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To get a DBA gig, you gonna need some experience. The reason I was asking whether or not you had a degree was to see if you may fit in some type of Business Analyst role. I think getting into a BA role may be an easier route to take to get in the game than trying to get a developer or DBA role off the bat. To be a developer, they're gonna know what projects you have worked on.

With getting a BA in Tech Management (I'm assuming you've gotten exposed to the business side of organizations as well as certain technical components) and taking those relational database courses, you may be suited for an analyst role and once you get that, you can work your way to the developer/DBA side of the house.

How good are you with querying and setting up databases? You familiar with 1st, 2nd, 3rd Normal forms? 1 to 1 relationships? Joins, unions, subqueries, primary and foreign keys, indexes, triggers, data modeling, etc?

If you cool with all of the ^ above, start putting your resume out and check out the responses you get. If a job offer you $40,000 per year starting out, don't turn it down on some "I think I'm worth more" type shyt, take it and do it for about a year to gain experience and move on. You may get contacted by some contracting firms as well, they are good when trying to gain experience too.

Oh, and how nice is you with Unix/Linux? A good working knowledge of Unix and Sequel can definitely get you in the game.

Thank you for dropping some knowledge breh and yes there is a fair amount of business classes mixed into my major. I never even considered Business Analyst, but I will now.:dwillhuh:
Yes we've covered 1NF-3NFs and indexing/clustering etc. I have practiced with SQL on my schools lab environment which is run using Oracle 11g. As for UNIX/Linux I only know basic info on Linux like how to enter different directories and copy stuff. Do you think I can land a gig even if I am still in school?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thank you for dropping some knowledge breh and yes there is a fair amount of business classes mixed into my major. I never even considered Business Analyst, but I will now.:dwillhuh:
Yes we've covered 1NF-3NFs and indexing/clustering etc. I have practiced with SQL on my schools lab environment which is run using Oracle 11g. As for UNIX/Linux I only know basic info on Linux like how to enter different directories and copy stuff. Do you think I can land a gig even if I am still in school?

Yes, since you already know SQL and the basics of Unix. On your resume, just put SQL, don't put a vender-specific version, unless a job is specifically asking for Oracle. Also, add your Unix knowledge to your resume (specific whether its basic or etc.). Specify that you've copied files, switched directories and everything else you've done in Unix. If y'all have done some course projects in SQL, list the most demanding projects you've completed and can explain. Do you have any knowledge of basic helpdesk functions (writing tickets, escalating problems, etc.) ? If so, list that knowledge. Also, make it clear that you can work in a 24X7 on-call environment if needed.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, since you already know SQL and the basics of Unix. On your resume, just put SQL, don't put a vender-specific version, unless a job is specifically asking for Oracle. Also, add your Unix knowledge to your resume (specific whether its basic or etc.). Specify that you've copied files, switched directories and everything else you've done in Unix. If y'all have done some course projects in SQL, list the most demanding projects you've completed and can explain. Do you have any knowledge of basic helpdesk functions (writing tickets, escalating problems, etc.) ? If so, list that knowledge. Also, make it clear that you can work in a 24X7 on-call environment if needed.

Ok so I need to list SQL skills, and Help desk skills for Business Analyst position?
Also I haven't touched UNIX I was talking about Linux, I know they are similar but I haven't used it before.:patrice:
Also what do Help desk stuff have to do with BizAnalyst?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thinking about starting a career in Network Administration, i already know a bit about this because i have been messing with computers since i was 13. Plus, i like this route because you don't have to be a code monkey.

Just don't want to be surrounded by nerds all day :skip:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Would you guys say computing and applied math is a good major for learning programming and coding?

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Anyone here got their ccna? My exam is soon :lupe:

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
ccent done. It was a fairly easy and straight forward test. Cisco's questions are a lot easier to understand and better explained than Comptia's. Onward to ccna.
How long did you study for ccent?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
How long did you study for ccent?

6 weeks. I finished the book after the first week. During weeks two through four I was watching videos, waiting for equipment to arrive, labbing, and re-reading certain sections of the book. The last two weeks was practice exams, book review, and more labbing. The last week before a cert is always the toughest for me. I start feeling complacent/bored and I begin thinking about whats next. I sometimes wonder if I'm more interested in the chase than the reward.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
6 weeks. I finished the book after the first week. During weeks two through four I was watching videos, waiting for equipment to arrive, labbing, and re-reading certain sections of the book. The last two weeks was practice exams, book review, and more labbing. The last week before a cert is always the toughest for me. I start feeling complacent/bored and I begin thinking about whats next. I sometimes wonder if I'm more interested in the chase than the reward.
My study time is not too far off. I am still up in the air about splitting the CCNA and earning that CCENT first (which makes sense)

Or just fukking knock the whole shyt out with the 640-802. I am fairly comfortable with everything right now, but splitting just appears to make much more sense. I figure if I fukk up I am just out of $125 instead of $250 right from the jump