IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

SwagmundFreud

Superstar
Daps
Any one have a comptia a+ cert? im new to this stuff how do I start in earning certifications in general? :confused:

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
When you nikkas were at the help desk was there a lot of stuff that came up that really tested your computer knowledge or was it mostly just basic shyt that people would fukk up at?

FOR ME IT'S MOSTLY BASIC THINGS. THERE ARE A FEW GUYS THAT MANAGE TO MAKE YOU GO :mindblown: WHEN YOU SEE WHAT THEY'VE DONE. AND THEY ARE USUALLY THE GUYS WHO KNOW A LIL SOMETHING ABOUT COMPUTERS AND LET IT GO TO THEIR HEADS. USUALLY BE THE SAME GUYS TRYING TO TELL YOU HOW TO FIX WHAT THEY fukkED UP.

MR. SNIFLES

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
Anyone work at a cable company?

DID IT FOR A YEAR. IT'S A FUN JOB DEPENDING ON WHAT SYSTEM YOU GET STUCK IN. URBAN AREAS ARE THE WORST BUT THE MOST ENTERTAINING. WORKING RICH AREAS IS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE HOUSEWIFES PRETTY MUCH. THE TRADE IS EVERYBODY IS GENERALLY a$$holeS. THE WORK ITSELF ISN'T BAD BUT IF YOU AREN'T USED TO WORKING IN HEAT OR COLD YOU MIGHT QUIT. RUNNING DROPS THROUGH AN ATTIC IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER IS NOT FUN. THAT'S ANOTHER REASON WHY WORKING IN NEW SUBURBS IS COOL. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PULL THE LADDER OUT. ALL THE NEW CABLING IS UNDERGROUND.

I GOT SOME FUNNY ASS STORIES ABOUT DOING CABLE HSD FOR COMCAST.

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
DID IT FOR A YEAR. IT'S A FUN JOB DEPENDING ON WHAT SYSTEM YOU GET STUCK IN. URBAN AREAS ARE THE WORST BUT THE MOST ENTERTAINING. WORKING RICH AREAS IS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE HOUSEWIFES PRETTY MUCH. THE TRADE IS EVERYBODY IS GENERALLY a$$holeS. THE WORK ITSELF ISN'T BAD BUT IF YOU AREN'T USED TO WORKING IN HEAT OR COLD YOU MIGHT QUIT. RUNNING DROPS THROUGH AN ATTIC IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER IS NOT FUN. THAT'S ANOTHER REASON WHY WORKING IN NEW SUBURBS IS COOL. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PULL THE LADDER OUT. ALL THE NEW CABLING IS UNDERGROUND.

I GOT SOME FUNNY ASS STORIES ABOUT DOING CABLE HSD FOR COMCAST.

haha damn I dig..still rocking the Capital Letters :myman:

I actually start Monday at Comcast as a Tier 2 Customer Account Exec and Tech/Ip Support, I'm sure its not really going be much technical stuff but Its better pay than what I was doing before

MR. SNIFLES

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
haha damn I dig..still rocking the Capital Letters :myman:

I actually start Monday at Comcast as a Tier 2 Customer Account Exec and Tech/Ip Support, I'm sure its not really going be much technical stuff but Its better pay than what I was doing before

AWW MAN THAT'S NOT BAD. 80% OF THOSE WILL PROBABLY BE MODEM RESETS. GOOD LUCK BREH. USUALLY BE SOME BAD BROADS IN THE CALL CENTERS. :ahh:

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone know about a program called Per Scholas in NY? is it legit? for Comptia A+? I hear its free

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
fukk a COMPTIA. That some entry level shyt that really isn't valued like you think it is.

Start with an MCP and also learn Networking from either Cisco or Juniper or maybe even F5 networks.

Get balanced in infrastructure and go from there.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
fukk a COMPTIA. That some entry level shyt that really isn't valued like you think it is.

Start with an MCP and also learn Networking from either Cisco or Juniper or maybe even F5 networks.

Get balanced in infrastructure and go from there.

that's the point tho :beli: nikkas do it just to their foots in the door

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
that's the point tho :beli: nikkas do it just to their foots in the door

You misunderstood my point.

COMPTIA isn't as valued as it once was.

You can get your 'foot in the door' and get looked out with higher value with an MCP and learning new and standardized networking technologies.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
:yeshrug: The A+ could be a good confidence builder for those who are new or trying to get back into IT. A lot of entry level help desk/technician jobs list it, so it can serve a purpose. The Network+ is worthless from an employment standpoint (better off with CCENT/CCNA) and the Security + is marginal. The A+ helped get me back on track after a long unemployment.

edit: The Security + is often required for Gov. jobs/contracts and is very sought after.

Last edited:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
:yeshrug: The A+ could be a good confidence builder for those who are new or trying to get back into IT. A lot of entry level help desk/technician jobs list it, so it can serve a purpose. The Network+ is worthless from an employment standpoint (better off with CCENT/CCNA) and the Security + is marginal. The A+ helped get me back on track after a long unemployment.

every job I've looked at requires A+

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
It depends on what kind of entry level help desk job it is.

Most big companies with over 1000 users are running virtualized environment with a mixture of VMWare and/or Hyper-V and Citrix.

Getting your foot in the door and learning those technologies I would start by getting your MCP.

A+ jobs seem to only work for Brick and Mortar places. Outside of that companies do not value A+ and Network+ certs at all.