IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Of course :ppvbro: Network up next, and Security in July/August

:salute: if you're telling the truth

i just noticed you never said anything about it so i was reading this shyt like :lolbron: "this nikka just postin he aint really gonna do it"

you get a job yet? that boi Eddie got one within a month of getting his A+ :whoo:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
:salute: if you're telling the truth

i just noticed you never said anything about it so i was reading this shyt like :lolbron: "this nikka just postin he aint really gonna do it"

you get a job yet? that boi Eddie got one within a month of getting his A+ :whoo:

At work right now, ima post up when i get off

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Of course :ppvbro: Network up next, and Security in July/August

If you're not too far in with studying for Network+ then I would recommend switching to ccent instead. It carries more weight. Cisco dominates networking and the Network+ just doesn't measure up. I get more inquiries about my A+ then I do my Network+.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:salute: to all the grinders in here......Getting up at 3 something and doing programming before your job starts at 6:30am is a bytch at times.......but there's no shortcuts. Sometimes when I want to hit that snooze button( or just turn the alarm off all together ) I think of stuff like this

Notch talks about the $101 million he earned in 2012 • News • Eurogamer.net

One man did this by himself....:heh:

I knew exactly who you were talking about before I even clicked the link. Dude struck lighning with minecraft, still ain't played that shyt yet.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
When you nikkas were at the help desk was there a lot of stuff that came up that really tested your computer knowledge or was it mostly just basic shyt that people would fukk up at?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
When you nikkas were at the help desk was there a lot of stuff that came up that really tested your computer knowledge or was it mostly just basic shyt that people would fukk up at?

Depends on what you consider basic. :ld:

Here are some types of things you'll run into a lot:

-My username/password isn't working!
-I can't print and/or forgot how to add a network printer
-How do I do XXX in Word/Excel/Outlook?
-I can't get on the Internet!
-My XXX software keeps giving me error messages!
-My computer won't start
-I have a virus/trojan/some stupid shyt can you get rid of it for me?
-I saved a file on my computer (I think) and can't find it!
-I'm trying to install XXX can you help me?
-I got a blue screen!
-I'm not getting any sound

If you also do level 2 support, you may do shyt like swap hard drives/NICs/etc when they go bad, image computers, create AD accounts and Exchange mailboxes for new employees, upgrade computers, set folder permissions, make groups in AD, etc. Depending on where you work you may also have to deal with phone issues.

Most issues aren't all that difficult to fix, but if you don't have remote access some things are a pain to deal with because some users really suck at actually describing what the problem is on the phone and/or can't follow directions.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Basic stuff. 95% of the stuff you can google. The only real problem with the HD is the users. I could write a book on the stuff.

I worked with internal users(even though they were still disrespectful) they could only be rude so much because we could inform their supervisors etc. I really feel for the people who work at the helpdesk and have to deal with external customers.

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
In help desk you get alot of time to learn different things, depends on your supervisor.

I've learned some neat tricks on how to trick a compter, maxamizing Windows PE, command prompt tools etc.

My Boss gave me 4 machines to set up a lab put Server 08 R2 on one machine and told me just learn how to create a network, with group policies etc and just play with it.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
In help desk you get alot of time to learn different things, depends on your supervisor.

I've learned some neat tricks on how to trick a compter, maxamizing Windows PE, command prompt tools etc.

My Boss gave me 4 machines to set up a lab put Server 08 R2 on one machine and told me just learn how to create a network, with group policies etc and just play with it.

judging by what everyone else has said about their help desk experience it's safe to say that you probably had the best supervisor out of everyone in here

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
judging by what everyone else has said about their help desk experience it's safe to say that you probably had the best supervisor out of everyone in here

I just started out about a month ago.

I got fam in helpdesk, some compaines give you 2-3 week full training it just depends on where you end up. Some of my friends have to deal with a$$hole users who always want to talk to the manager, every company is different.

Where I work there is a lot of propitery software, the devolopers did a good enough job where I can post on the Coli when I'm at work. I still have to learn the software. I don't get many tickets.

Also depending on where you work, in my company they have this entire skillsoft catalog, where you can sharpen your skills and increase your knowledge.

When I first started I didn't even know what a \\ meant

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I just started out about a month ago.

I got fam in helpdesk, some compaines give you 2-3 week full training it just depends on where you end up. Some of my friends have to deal with a$$hole users who always want to talk to the manager, every company is different.

Where I work there is a lot of propitery software, the devolopers did a good enough job where I can post on the Coli when I'm at work. I still have to learn the software. I don't get many tickets.

Also depending on where you work, in my company they have this entire skillsoft catalog, where you can sharpen your skills and increase your knowledge.

When I first started I didn't even know what a \\ meant

:wow:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Basic stuff. 95% of the stuff you can google. The only real problem with the HD is the users. I could write a book on the stuff.

I worked with internal users(even though they were still disrespectful) they could only be rude so much because we could inform their supervisors etc. I really feel for the people who work at the helpdesk and have to deal with external customers.

Had to do that at my last job...it sucked. Only good thing is that you can "accidentally" drop the call and hope somebody else gets them when they call back (or even better, they don't).

Internal helpdesk, people generally won't be rude to you because they may actually see you in the hall or come down in person for assistance. Anybody that tried to yell at me on the phone would get the :birdman: if they came down and asked me for help with something. Plus, like you said, you can tell their supervisor.

Only thing that sucks about internal helpdesk is when you get a call from an actual supervisor (or even worse, some big time person like the CIO/President/Executive Director). They'll pretty much expect their issues to be top priority and you end up kinda pressured to fix their issue asap. But usually they have somebody else call for them so it's not too bad. :ehh:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Had to do that at my last job...it sucked. Only good thing is that you can "accidentally" drop the call and hope somebody else gets them when they call back (or even better, they don't).

Internal helpdesk, people generally won't be rude to you because they may actually see you in the hall or come down in person for assistance. Anybody that tried to yell at me on the phone would get the :birdman: if they came down and asked me for help with something. Plus, like you said, you can tell their supervisor.

Only thing that sucks about internal helpdesk is when you get a call from an actual supervisor (or even worse, some big time person like the CIO/President/Executive Director). They'll pretty much expect their issues to be top priority and you end up kinda pressured to fix their issue asap. But usually they have somebody else call for them so it's not too bad. :ehh:

but how is that a bad thing? wouldn't it be a good chance to get cool with the higher ups, shyt could lead to a promotion or something :ld: