IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
but how is that a bad thing? wouldn't it be a good chance to get cool with the higher ups, shyt could lead to a promotion or something :ld:

Most of the higher ups were ok to deal with. But you were still nervous because of their position. Say thet were calling in about connecting from home, you cant just give the usually "Its your internet connection":russ:. They would be like " o ok". then the next day you have to hear some crap from the supervisor and everyone starts re-writing documentation.lol

If our CEO called in( which was rare since he had a personal tech from the desktop team) we were instructed to give the call over to the most Sr tech.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Had to do that at my last job...it sucked. Only good thing is that you can "accidentally" drop the call and hope somebody else gets them when they call back (or even better, they don't).

Internal helpdesk, people generally won't be rude to you because they may actually see you in the hall or come down in person for assistance. Anybody that tried to yell at me on the phone would get the :birdman: if they came down and asked me for help with something. Plus, like you said, you can tell their supervisor.

Only thing that sucks about internal helpdesk is when you get a call from an actual supervisor (or even worse, some big time person like the CIO/President/Executive Director). They'll pretty much expect their issues to be top priority and you end up kinda pressured to fix their issue asap. But usually they have somebody else call for them so it's not too bad. :ehh:

this is so true to the 9th degree. Especially when a manager wants reps to be skilled in exony/uc :pacspit:

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
The certs I have and the certs that matter in my field:

VCP 4 & VCP 5
CCEE
Among others...

Virtualization is the now and the future. If you don't know VMWare and/or Citrix as an admin level. You will not be able to demand the type of salaries these guys make like I do.

I've been in IT for 13 years so experience plays a very vital role also.

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Completed a course in Big-IP F5 LTM, GTM & ASM.

F5 Networks is an industry leader in network appliances and alot of companies are using F5 products for web front end load balancing and security.

Learn this product and become certified also. It is no longer becoming niche.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
A lot of jobs for a Help Desk require 3 years experience.

What's the actual entry level title for these jobs?

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
Anyone in here focus on mobile security? I need to get caught up in this before I go to Black Hat and take a couple Mobile Security training classes. Looking for some resources.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
Anyone in here focus on mobile security? I need to get caught up in this before I go to Black Hat and take a couple Mobile Security training classes. Looking for some resources.

Going to Black Hat are we? :jawalrus:
Are you a bruh? If so, may have to meet up. :salute:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I just started out about a month ago.

I got fam in helpdesk, some compaines give you 2-3 week full training it just depends on where you end up. Some of my friends have to deal with a$$hole users who always want to talk to the manager, every company is different.

Where I work there is a lot of propitery software, the devolopers did a good enough job where I can post on the Coli when I'm at work. I still have to learn the software. I don't get many tickets.

Also depending on where you work, in my company they have this entire skillsoft catalog, where you can sharpen your skills and increase your knowledge.

When I first started I didn't even know what a \\ meant

Can't wait to see your posts 5 months from now :heh: