Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The "Hive" thing really misses entire theme of the show, or at least obsesses over the shallowest aspects of it, it's a shame some will take that from it, some sort of man vs woman, when it's about learning more about relationships in general, and what makes them so essential and fascinating to us. I guess it's human nature to want to pick sides and relate from one angle. Whatever.

Very strong premiere, I wasn't expecting less, but they have continued with great direction, music, sharp writing, and often hilarious supporting characters. To me the theme of the premiere, and the season will be loneliness and vulnerability and what it makes us do. Issa flicks through Bumble or Tinder, sits through dates, agonizes over her ex, and has unfulfilling sex with him, in the pursuit of easing the ache of being alone. Lawerence, for his part, is not long with Tasha, and misses Issa's intellect and perspective, yet keeps it up for now, rather than be alone. Probably why he doesn't want to get his own place. That last scene I thought it was a fantasy at first. Never been in a relationship, def. had the spontaneous sex, not anywhere that desperate and impassive, just neediness bleeding through each other. Pretty dark, to see that emotional stranglehold in action.

Loved the scenes at the party, reminded me of high school, rolling blunts on magazines, the escalation of an empty house or apartment into a smoky, drug filled unpredictable, chaotic room.

"get the hell up off my mail"

"Do you think the cold has anything to do with how violent it is how out there...."

"You can do it....if you put your back into it" (middle school shyt for me)

"but I have.....I'm not a cheater anymore...."

"I brought a wine opener in case you didn't have one"

"you ever locked up abroad....they gon lock a broad up"

Need the song that closed out the episode. edit: Jazmin Sullivan, "Let It Burn". Glad she made it in the game, after Jadakiss album placements in 2009.
exactly

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
The "Hive" thing really misses entire theme of the show, or at least obsesses over the shallowest aspects of it, it's a shame some will take that from it, some sort of man vs woman, when it's about learning more about relationships in general, and what makes them so essential and fascinating to us. I guess it's human nature to want to pick sides and relate from one angle. Whatever.

Very strong premiere, I wasn't expecting less, but they have continued with great direction, music, sharp writing, and often hilarious supporting characters. To me the theme of the premiere, and the season will be loneliness and vulnerability and what it makes us do. Issa flicks through Bumble or Tinder, sits through dates, agonizes over her ex, and has unfulfilling sex with him, in the pursuit of easing the ache of being alone. Lawerence, for his part, is not long with Tasha, and misses Issa's intellect and perspective, yet keeps it up for now, rather than be alone. Probably why he doesn't want to get his own place. That last scene I thought it was a fantasy at first. Never been in a relationship, def. had the spontaneous sex, not anywhere that desperate and impassive, just neediness bleeding through each other. Pretty dark, to see that emotional stranglehold in action.

Loved the scenes at the party, reminded me of high school, rolling blunts on magazines, the escalation of an empty house or apartment into a smoky, drug filled unpredictable, chaotic room.

"get the hell up off my mail"

"Do you think the cold has anything to do with how violent it is how out there...."

"You can do it....if you put your back into it" (middle school shyt for me)

"but I have.....I'm not a cheater anymore...."

"I brought a wine opener in case you didn't have one"

"you ever locked up abroad....they gon lock a broad up"

Need the song that closed out the episode. edit: Jazmin Sullivan, "Let It Burn". Glad she made it in the game, after Jadakiss album placements in 2009.

Spot on

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It wasn't imagined issa doesn't even know Tasha to have a mental picture of her

I thought Issa checked out lawrence's social media and saw the posts of Tasha when she was in the bathroom mirror.
when they asked her about if she knew about lawrence with another chick.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:pachaha: breh hitting that blood walk in the middle of the party like
allhood-blood-walk-o.gif

Issa's mental commentary about is this choreographed was hilarious.

Art Barr

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Btw, the Jazmine album that had the song "let it burn" is low key :fire: if u never heard it.

My girl played that album and the K Michelle joint OUTTTTT. I couldnt help but fukks with both of em.

I aint realize K Michelle's talent like that despite doing PR for her for a few months :skip:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I caught that as well

In this period that is the only thing that would make sense.
If he was gonna go all in and try to find the one to tie the knot.
Yet he is to emo and to sheltered from this long term relationship.
Plus, his home boi who let him stay there.
a fukk'n bih nikka who do not wanna help his friend.
In that situation lawrence is on the rebound and damaged and Tasha is seeming like a match but duke to damaged.
hopefully, lawrence makes the right choice for tasha.
I hope this plays out how the real world works for the black 20 sumfin professionals from college who were committed and then the bs happened.
As real talk Issa is covering exactly what most black women did to the ideal committal black guys in the recession.
Or the ideal committal from college who did not get a career and had a degree during the recession.
which is leave when we were down.

Art Barr

Sister be wondering where all the great guys went.
We did not go nowhere you left us and called us broke.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That probably wouldn't be a good look considering what happened last time he lived with a woman.

How,..........

both him and tasha both work wage jobs.
If they not gon team up, then he just need to just make her a roster member.
Yet tasha is seeming like way more than just some roster member.
She actually showcases excellent committal vibes.
Plus, she actually is focused on Lawrence.
With that being one of the healthiest relationship committal bases.
a woman can be about a hopeful committal being viewed as her prospective guy.

Issa is overly insecure.
Where as tasha is the healthy relationship type of insecure.
Where she is hopeful you like her snd that carries over way more than what Issa is on.
Plus you can never get past cheating as a guy,...so, I hope this show plays out how reality said this typically plays out.
Which is they all end up single amd it shows the miss steps made in this age and how it is detrimental.
to a sound future, as a black person looking for a mate.
I am glad this show really tackled what happens to the solid black couple you think is cool on the outside but the bs is there to hinder it.

Art Barr

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I thought Issa checked out lawrence's social media and saw the posts of Tasha when she was in the bathroom mirror.
when they asked her about if she knew about lawrence with another chick.

Art Barr
Issa checked his social media in the preview for Episode 2