Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Amazing episode. Series really picked up on the back half.

SN: To the brehs and brehettes in the show's demographic (early 30s), how accurate is the show's depiction of your demographic is (socially, financially, culturally etc)?

Pretty onpoint especially having lived in LA.

The one thing that seems a little off is the trappings of the people you're supposed to look at as having their shyt together (e.g., Condola, Tiff). Owning these houses with gorgeous, renovated interiors that would probably cost you at least $500K, and more like $7+ in any nice neighborhoods, isn't something I saw. No one I knew was living like that - even amongst the dual income, both individuals making 6 figs crowd.

shyt, my bosses didn't even live like that in LA.

Molly's apartment in DTLA would easily cost her upwards of $3600 a month having looked at / been to apartments in that area. I've been to house / dinner parties in the apartment she's supposed to be in (as well as the one they're actually shooting in), and while she could afford those units it'd be a terrible financial decision. People I know were paying like $3K in those buildings but with much smaller / average apartment units.

A lawyer like her wouldn't be living THAT nice but I understand how they have to put some financial distance between her and Issa. Location means a ton in LA, so it's not as easy to convey that over the screen.

Socially and culturally it's incredibly onpoint, though.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Not sure how people don't like this season because this is some great character development for both it's stars. Maybe because it's not "haha" funny as they want it to be. But this is some of the realest, most down to earth writing I've seen in awhile. Thinking about the next season here, I'm not sure how they go on without Molly if they do end the friendship "for good". Maybe they'll reconnect mid season like Lawrence in season 3, not sure but again I'm skipping ahead.
Nathan had some Ether for Lawrence:mjlol: those are them “Oh you chose HIM” type of shots.
Guilty of those shots myself :lolbron:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Crazy how in life you can outgrow people over the years, but its super rare to actually have a conversation about it like Molly and Issa did. For a show with constant shytty communication, this was surprisingly dope to see. Great episode imo.

Just when it seems like Molly was starting to show a fraction of growth, she goes right back to who she is, a miserable self centered bytch. Everybody keeps throwing her lobs and she just ignores it and does what she wants. No effort with Issa or Victor and she brings fukking Chinese food when Andrew wanted Indian, just because she didn't like the nann :hhh: That's like 3 red flags in a row with shorty now. There's no compromising with her. Molly on thin ice with dude. :mjlol:

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not sure how people don't like this season because this is some great character development for both it's stars. Maybe because it's not "haha" funny as they want it to be. But this is some of the realest, most down to earth writing I've seen in awhile. Thinking about the next season here, I'm not sure how they go on without Molly if they do end the friendship "for good". Maybe they'll reconnect mid season like Lawrence in season 3, not sure but again I'm skipping ahead.

Guilty of those shots myself :lolbron:

:mjlol:

Hit her with that "I mean...if you like it I love it" :manny:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, I definitely wasn't feeling Molly's thinking this episode.

Issa was the one who reached out first, when Molly blew up her block party celebration.
Even remembered the drink she liked - light-skinned mimosa :skip:

Then she sent the fukked up text - Issa and Andrew's names shouldn't be that close in her contacts :gucci: and expected Issa to fight for their friendship after dissing her :why:.

Lawrence and Issa back together in some form :leon:- Side note- I haven't had Hamburger Helper in a minute, but just picked up some at the store for nostalgia sake :ehh:

Kerry Washington directed tonight's episode. Listening to Issa/Yvonne talk about the experience is :mjlol:, Yvonne's Kerry impression :russ:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
great episode and season so far.

all i can do is smh at molly. she's still the same toxic and self-inflicting person while issa is actually growing and trying to better herself.

i'm sure lawrence is moving to SF, nathan will be busy doing his thing and looks like molly and andrew get into an argument so breakup for those two? i can't figure out the background who issa approaches at the end :patrice: my only guess is daniel or molly since it's a slow and awkward hey.

nikka was super dirty macking

:russ:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
read condola could be pregnant which is why she kept reaching out to lawrence and there was a snippet of lawrence looking stressed in the sneak peek :ohhh:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Where’s @Milk N Cookies to make sense of all this!?!?!?!:damn:
I just got back from a drive in movie night, Purple Rain
giphy.gif

I’m scrolling everywhere and I see A LOT when down!!! :damn:

Oh they got back together!!

and I NEED that Last Dragon shirt!! :noah:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Judging by the title of next episode's season finale(Lowkey Lost), I think they break up at season finale, while Lawrence takes a job in SF and Issa flys solo for a bit.

this is definitely what’s going to happen. My girl thinks she’s going to move onto to Nathan but I don’t see that. It wouldn’t show growth for the character. I think Issa will be single and happy about it.