Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This show is just like nothing else on TV. This episode was so calmly gorgeous, so self assured, so confident in it's shots and depictions of the lives it's character's inhabit. The couch montage in Lawerence apartment, the leather sofa in Andrew's Burbank home, elegantly displayed takeout spread across a table, and bottles of champagne. The sunsets and lighting across the city. The inner dramas and outer dramas of the characters are really meant as conversation starters and a backdrop, not the winner take all many of it's fans revel in.

*Issa and Molly both are in need of a more direct form of communication millennials esp. struggle with this

*Someone in 2018, in the Season 3 thread called that mental health angle, which is pretty impressive

*I thought the scenes with Nathan and Issa were well done, and both exercised maturity, after initially getting petty and resentful

*That said, I would never invite any woman, (or man) to help me move, though I guess I get it, as something of a move, as women have asked me to do various chores, building beds, and that kind of thing, but it's still a fairly mechanical and strained way to invite someone over. Call a mover.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't stand Issa's character if I'ma keep it 100%. Way I see it Molly shoulda been bombed on her using ass. And she's still on the same BS - only hitting up Molly when she needs something. Nothing has really changed - she gives Molly nothing tangible.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Amazing episode. Series really picked up on the back half.

SN: To the brehs and brehettes in the show's demographic (early 30s), how accurate is the show's depiction of your demographic is (socially, financially, culturally etc)?

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

SN: To the brehs and brehettes in the show's demographic (early 30s), how accurate do you think this shows depiction of your demographic is (socially, financially, culturally etc)?

Extremely accurate, so much so, it may be one or the defining millennial LA show. It will certainly be in my top shows of all time. Everything is working, episode after episode, on very, very high level. The aesthetic, the acting, the music, the writing, it's without equal. The new show, I May Destroy You is clearly influenced, but uglier, and rawer, more fast paced and frenzied. The first episode was really good.

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
Molly is just the most stubborn trash ass person to me man
Can't see the flaws in herself for shyt. Sent a fukked up text by mistake to Issa and said "Sorry you saw that it wasn't for you"
Made 0 effort to cultivate the relationship back even after therapy
Issa is a user definitely but she at least shelved her own issues to the side to try to get them on the right track first smh.

Andrew is waaay too good for for Molly (unless he's cheating which i'm not rollin with) he has to see how batshyt Molly is with her unwillingness to to step out of her own zones

She went to therapy, disregarded the therapist
Victor got Clippers tickets to apologize, she ditched em then was like "aye man you aint have to lie for me" :francis:
Issa reached out, paid for brunch, asked a million questions and got nothin back
How she dont see herself? I really hate people like that in real life and I hate that i know people like that in real life. She's the type of person that only is cool when she's up. Whenever she's down in a relationship that shyt goes to the bushes

SN: To the brehs and brehettes in the show's demographic (early 30s), how accurate do you think this shows depiction of your demographic is (socially, financially, culturally etc)?
30 and the last episode around Issa/Lawrence was scarily accurate. Lawrence got cheated on and he still took responsibility for it which is :wow: but really :hhh:. I felt that tho. Nathan disappearing to confront himself and his own issues before coming back made a whole lot of sense too.
Financial wise, you dont really got it til you do :yeshrug:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The music in this episode was HITTING:ohlawd: had me running shazaam every 5 minutes!

I’m glad they finally came out with Nathan’s mental disorder. Them dancing around the issue was getting a little stale.

Nathan had some Ether for Lawrence:mjlol: those are them “Oh you chose HIM” type of shots.

Ladies- free game! If you ever tell a nikka you fukked with about the nikka you fukking with NOW and he got shade to throw about what you pillow talked about, that nikka finna get real petty REAL soon on your ass:lolbron:

Issa was wrong for skirting the issue about the block party, but like Andrew said, Molly could’ve met her half way. Molly is STILL a selfish, unrealistic bytch but Issa has to take a little responsibility for the demise of their relationship too.

They’ve outgrown each other. Thats how it is sometimes. I really hope that this season does NOT end with them back as friends. That should be a season 5 storyline. Every season they have a falling out and, like magic they get cool again in the finale. fukk that. A thug changes. And love changes. And best friends become strangers. Word up.

I think Lawrence is lying about Condola. They made TOO much of a point of her calling him
Last episode for an offhand (we talked and its over) comment. He still clapping her cheeks, or if not, she was the worst wastes of filler the show has had to date. Other than that I like Lawrence/Issa. They have great chemistry, i’d like to see THEM actually get back together officially while her and Molly end the season as not cool.

This was a good episode overall. Not as good as last week’s but the pentultimate episodes are usually always “set the table” episodes for the finale