Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
It's been like that since Season 1. For all Molly's faults - she's always been down to ride for Issa.

Issa told you what kind of time she was on when she called Molly up last episode, Molly started to tell her about the situation with the Asian guy and Issa just cut her off like yeah yeah enough about your bullshyt what about ME and MY problems.

She's a terrible, self-centered, dependent person and would be horrible to have as a friend.

Yup its always been that way, Molly has her own faults but she is a bit more pragmatic in her approach, she actually tries to change or improve and takes some level of personal accountability throughout the seasons ... plus her issue is mainly relationship based which is why she is actively trying now

Issa is only gravitating more towards Condola because she sees her as the future potential version of herself that finally got her shyt together (its all perception based anyways)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yea I don’t see how Lawrence is doing anything wrong when it comes to the Condola dynamic. Lawrence has consistently shown to be rather honorable when it comes to being in an “exclusive” situation.

It seems like Condola and Lawrence are on two separate pages and DID NOT have the proper “what are our goals/expectations when it comes you and me” conversation that EVERYONE should have going in. Lawrence is thinking he’s her boyfriend or at least close to it and Condola is, if not necessarily viewing him as a jump off, as simply someone she’s having fun with and it ain’t that serious.

Issa would probably be doing the same thing with that Nathan guy. Not really communicating with Lawrence like that, or Daniel, cause she got a dude. But once it goes left then all bets are off, you do what you gotta do.

Speaking of Daniel, am I the only one who thought Issa was going to hit him up when she was looking for help finding a new headliner? He’s plugged into the music industry and he’s been in each of the last three seasons so I thought for sure they’d bring him back in some capacity.

Daps
Speaking of Daniel, am I the only one who thought Issa was going to hit him up when she was looking for help finding a new headliner? He’s plugged into the music industry and he’s been in each of the last three seasons so I thought for sure they’d bring him back in some capacity.

Yea i thought that was an alley oop to reintroduce him back to the show too, and maybe have a trigger spot for Lawrence since him and Issa are more amicable now

I always felt that from a guy's perspective, theres levels to the cheating shyt ... Lawrence just knows Issa cheated, but if he saw it from our (the viewers) perspective, its extra foul cuz Issa premeditated the whole thing - looked ol' boy up, tried more than once and eventually just went to the studio to be taken down like a groupie lol

Not saying its right or whatever, but from most men's perspective, those details would set things over the edge, its not like Issa was being pursued while being unhappy and eventually caved in :manny: I think the latter would be a lot more easier to empathize with considering the context

4 seasons in, its still amusing to see people conflate Issa's infidelity with Lawrence being a bum while depressed ... I think those are two separate problems. If Issa told Lawrence to step up and he didnt, and she left, most people would say Issa was in the right. Which goes back to Issa having problems with communication/confrontation, as shown with her current dynamic with Molly.

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
His behavior makes perfect sense. When I'm dating somebody and see a possible future I'm cutting off exes just cause it's a bad look. When I find out the relationship ain't going nowhere then there's no reason to not talk to that ex like that. Wouldn't dude actually be more foul if he was chatting up an ex he might still have feelings for while dating someone seriously?

I see it a bit differently. I see Lawrence being wishy washy based on his relationship status. Personally, I don’t expect people to just go along with my moodiness, depending on if I’m boo’ed up are not. That’s not fair to the other party. If I’m cordial with you, I remain cordial regardless of what’s going on in my life. If I pay you dust, then I pay you dust.

I’m also not the type to try to remain friends with exes either. Never saw a reason to do so.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I see it a bit differently. I see Lawrence being wishy washy based on his relationship status. Personally, I don’t expect people to just go along with my moodiness, depending on if I’m boo’ed up are not. That’s not fair to the other party. If I’m cordial with you, I remain cordial regardless of what’s going on in my life. If I pay you dust, then I pay you dust.

I’m also not the type to try to remain friends with exes either. Never saw a reason to do so.

And this ex isn't an ordinary ex, it's literally a friend of the woman he's now dating which makes matters worse.

Watching people unpack their perceptions of this show's relationship dynamics is very telling of how they might be operating in real life.

:francis:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yea i thought that was an alley oop to reintroduce him back to the show too, and maybe have a trigger spot for Lawrence since him and Issa are more amicable now

I always felt that from a guy's perspective, theres levels to the cheating shyt ... Lawrence just knows Issa cheated, but if he saw it from our (the viewers) perspective, its extra foul cuz Issa premeditated the whole thing - looked ol' boy up, tried more than once and eventually just went to the studio to be taken down like a groupie lol

Not saying its right or whatever, but from most men's perspective, those details would set things over the edge, its not like Issa was being pursued while being unhappy and eventually caved in :manny: I think the latter would be a lot more easier to empathize with considering the context

4 seasons in, its still amusing to see people conflate Issa's infidelity with Lawrence being a bum while depressed ... I think those are two separate problems. If Issa told Lawrence to step up and he didnt, and she left, most people would say Issa was in the right. Which goes back to Issa having problems with communication/confrontation, as shown with her current dynamic with Molly.

fukked up thing is Lawrence saw Issa and Daniel arguing at the We Got Ya’ll benefit at put two and two together. So he at least knows the FACE of the man Issa was getting the nasty on with. That makes it really fukked up. And if i’m not mistaken wasn’t he lowkey stalking issa via social media in S2 and saw her and Daniel chillin or something?

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
That conversation was not about Molly trying to help. She brought up the contract as a way to shyt on Issa like "You mustve fukked up for him to drop out the contract". That wasnt to assist. It was sneak dissing to shyt on Issa.:camby:
I thought I was the only one that caught that. Issae got her issues but Molly a fukked up ass person.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Theo Huxtable (Cosby)
Dwayne Wayne (Different World)
Kyle Barker (Living Single)
Overton(Living Single)
Will Smith (Fresh Prince)
Martin Payne (Martin)
Reggie Vaughn (Survivor’s Remorse)
Harrison Wright (Scandal)
Reggie Green (Dear White People)
Ralph Angel (Queen Sugar)
Steven Harper (Boston Public)
Earn Marks( Atlanta)

Interesting :jbhmm:

Edit: what makes these dudes "regular"? Not saying I disagree for all, just wondering your thoughts on them.

Last edited:

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Forgot all about this thread! Just a few thoughts:

• I think Lawrence and Issa end up together. Probably not this season, but def in seasons to come.
  • Condola is LEVELS above all of the regular characters. Being with a woman with her shyt together would def make you want to grind and come up.
  • Speaking of coming up, Issa came up too. She's not the same chick that Lawrence was with in the lil apartment. She looks better too...that can't hurt :manny:
  • Remember Lawrence had that convo with his pops about doing the work? Seems like he took it to heart and tried to make things work out with Condola, even though she wasn't looking for that
Either way, I'm just waiting to see how Issa and my boo Molly officially fall out :gurl:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
She still might.

And then Lawrence is going to see her and him at the little block party:francis:

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Molly showing some growth. She ain't jumping at the first chance to rescue Issa. Issa takes more than she gives in her relationship with Molly. It's reached the boiling point.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Interesting :jbhmm:

Edit: what makes these dudes "regular"? Not saying I disagree for all, just wondering your thoughts on them.

The question should be what makes them more or less than normal? Do we NOT have black men that attend historically black colleges every year? Do we not have black men working within Wall Street? Black men working blue collar jobs? Black men responsibly raising their children? Black men attempting to build generational wealth for their families? Black men who are pro black? Black men who attempt to have fun and live life to its fullest? Black men who work within the public educational system?

I mean honestly, how are we defining black men in modern day society?