Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Meaning she wasn't angry with him, there wasn't mutual anger. If she was screaming, hitting him, throwing shyt whatever, acting irrationally, or uncontrollably, leave, by all means. But, she was broken up, ready to talk, wanted forgiveness, or understanding.
More of a how can I save face now that I've been caught than a genuine moment of wanting to talk it out. She wasn't ready to talk, she was forced to talk, and that is the problem. Part of his anger, a large part no doubt, is that HE had to be the one to confront her about it. He was done the moment he heard her say yes. And hearing a million rationalizations in that moment wasn't going to get him any closer to forgiveness.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
:salute: To Lawrence for going out like a man. I really liked how they never let Issa think that Lawrence was on to her. Letting him brood in the dark after the party was a nice touch. As soon as he flipped the coffee table, he immediately realized that the she is NOT worth the trouble. Glad to see them not take it in the domestic violence direction when she would not let him leave. Hopefully this all leads to more Tasha.

I think the best part of all of this is that this is ALL Isa's fault. Instead of approaching everything like a grown woman (from the "break up" in episode 2 or 3, to her feelings for Daniel, to her relationship with Molly, to sleeping with Daniel, to letting Lawrence know that she cheated) she literally burned everything to the ground. She was a complete a$$hole to everybody around her and now she's all alone. Maybe she should go to therapy :mjgrin:

Felt kinda :to: for Daniel when she told him he just scratched an itch. Dude had got all dressed up in his Shaft blazer just to get smacked in the face like that. Dude was hurt when he was waiting on the valet.

I still can't stand Molly but drunk Molly gets a pass from me. She hit Issa with a haymaker when she told her that she doesn't deserve Lawrence. Glad Jared didn't fall for the bullshyt apology Molly was trying to give. Even when she's trying to be humble, she's still an a$$hole and lets her true feelings be known.

I can't wait to see where this goes. Gonna be hard to wrap this up well in a 30 minute episode though.

Last edited:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Very good episode....Some really gorgeous shots of LA as the sun set over the city, and the party in general, not at all usual in a 30 min dramedy. Loved the aftermath of a party, in the quiet kind of reflection that can come in those moments, punctuated by her bosses praise. I liked how the episode got darker and darker, as the night wore on, the way parties do, and when it's all over, Lawerence is basically at home in the dark, by himself, just before emotional angst is revealed all around. Molly drinking by herself, before their vicious argument, behind the catering truck was a tense, ugly moment....Anyone else remember parties in the neighborhoods when you were young, sneaking off to the side and drinking alcohol you stole, as the adults grew drunker by the hour? Not that I was in parties upscale Baldwin Hill homes, just the feeling of escaping the party, as a child, reminded me of Molly's scene. ''

Esp. liked how they personified the stigma of therapy, and how it's viewed societally, in many circles. Molly, quietly was impressed by her friend's choice, and knows it's something she could benefit from, but she runs it by Issa, and is reassured at first, how they discuss it dismissively. Then, offended, when Issa offers a more personal opinion. As someone whose told a few women, and friends they should see a therapist, I relate. I have never gotten that kind of angered reaction, (though, strong pushback for sure) but clearly there's more to their issues then that. When talking about therapy it's important to stress that it's beneficial for everyone. Ideally, everyone should go. There is this incredibly stupid stigma based on fear, ignorance, perceived strength...."I am a strong person" (translate: I repress my emotions and binge drink to cope) how many women do I know like that? And the worst is they prefer it.

Molly is clearly spiraling, showing up again at Jared's house, she's hurting and reeling from emotional pain, I wonder where the show goes with that. Daniel showing up at the party is a little contrived, given his persona is a little less clingy, or that's how the character has been written. The ending scenes at Issa's were well done, Lawerence, also deals with this in an immature manner, he showed he's not a doormat, sure, but he also showed he lacks conflict resolution skills. Though, in the moment he may just be too unstable and angry. People in general need to be more mature, and less emotion driven, which I think the show has highlighted several times. I think last week I mention Issa's inability to communicate maturely with Daniel would lead to conflict.

-"When I grow up I want a drawer full of batteries"

-"Or do you...object....girl please"

“Excuse me, I think I see a child left behind,”

You were some how able to deflect the blame back on Lawerence. :pacspit:

Women can deflect and rationalize like none other.:snoop:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Issa's own FUKKERY ETHER'd her:yeshrug:

...thought Lawrence was bout to catch a case, tho:whew:

Molly needs to throw here pompous attitude/crooked hair in the bushes:birdman:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'm STILL :martin: at people giving Molly grief for not wanting to involve herself with a Homosexual. But she proved that she truly doesn't know what she wants by going BACK to his house after dropping him, its the height of desperation that she'd be willing to settle for the comfort of someone ANYONE just to feel "wanted". You are an educated, successful business woman you don't NEED to rush to find a mate, it will happen naturally.

Issa and Lawrence :wow: man if you wouldve told me I'd be this invested in their relationship after episode 1 ida called you crazy, but the way they flipped the relationship was grade A writing and acting. Even though Issa is 100% wrong the writers did a very good job of keeping her human, so she's not a whore, but a very flawed individual who went on an ego trip that led her down a path she wasn't prepared to face the consequences of.

Daniel really has feelings for Issa, I really like that too, I felt like he was just trying to hit it and quit it right quick but dude got ETHERED when Issa laid it down flat that he wasn't nothing but jump start dikk. The myth is that men don't mind being the "side dude" or "used just for sex" but that's not entirely true.

This show is very very good

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Was this how white people felt when Ross & Rachel broke up? :lupe:

:russ: Idk why that's so funny to me.

Such a good ass episode. All the men in the show grew a pair finally. Having been cheated on before, Lawrence's reaction was pretty on point. Y'all think they work it out eventually? (Next season or so?)

I also think Issa was wrong for how she did molly. She was talking down on her like her shyt didn't stink. That's one of those situations were I'd be more mad at Issa for keeping this in for so long, this is how you've felt about me for a while.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
I'm STILL :martin: at people giving Molly grief for not wanting to involve herself with a Homosexual. But she proved that she truly doesn't know what she wants by going BACK to his house after dropping him, its the height of desperation that she'd be willing to settle for the comfort of someone ANYONE just to feel "wanted". You are an educated, successful business woman you don't NEED to rush to find a mate, it will happen naturally.

Issa and Lawrence :wow: man if you wouldve told me I'd be this invested in their relationship after episode 1 ida called you crazy, but the way they flipped the relationship was grade A writing and acting. Even though Issa is 100% wrong the writers did a very good job of keeping her human, so she's not a whore, but a very flawed individual who went on an ego trip that led her down a path she wasn't prepared to face the consequences of.

Daniel really has feelings for Issa, I really like that too, I felt like he was just trying to hit it and quit it right quick but dude got ETHERED when Issa laid it down flat that he wasn't nothing but jump start dikk. The myth is that men don't mind being the "side dude" or "used just for sex" but that's not entirely true.

This show is very very good
exactly. and it really showed a couple episodes earlier when he asked her why she never even gave them a serious chance, having known him ALL these years. it was definitely a little deeper than another notch on his belt with him.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Remember when the coli complained about this show supposedly making black men look bad? :mjlol:At this point I wouldn't be surprised if black women made that same argument. Issa and Molly are two of the most flawed lead characters I've seen on a show in a long time. It's a testament to how good the writing and acting on this show is that we still find them somewhat likeable

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Felt kinda :to: for Daniel when she told him he just scratched an itch. Dude had got all dressed up in his Shaft blazer just to get smacked in the face like that. Dude was hurt when he was waiting on the valet.

The myth is that men don't mind being the "side dude" or "used just for sex" but that's not entirely true.
Yeah Daniel obviously caught feelings deep. And when Issa told him he was just dikk... that still hurt like hearing a nikka tell a chick he only fukked her cause she had a nice ass & it looked soft, or whatever other i just wanted to fukk reason..

Actually it's crazy cause I started to rewatch the season afterwards and that why Molly ended her date cause the dude at the bar wanted to fukk & remember how :angry: she got. But duh, finding out you were just used for sex is a hurtful thing on both sides. I rarely see it from a man's perspective. Never have i seen it played out this well with the right amount of emotion.

I also think Issa was wrong for how she did molly. She was talking down on her like her shyt didn't stink. That's one of those situations were I'd be more mad at Issa for keeping this in for so long, this is how you've felt about me for a while.
Molly & Issa's fight on both sides were things they had been holding back (for years) & those type of fights are some of the worst people can get into as friends or even relatives (speaking from one i recently had with a family member like a month back) Things you never said feels extra hurtful cause you been sitting on this for so long and here I thought everything was gravy about it and you feel completely opposite. :sad:

The fight took me back tonJoan &Toni's big blow up in season one & in Toni's final season when she lost custody of her daughter cause Joan didn't show up court in Toni's behalf. One of the main reasons i loved Girlfriends was because of Joan & Toni's friendship. Seeing them fight even on reruns gets me :to: and I see a lot of Toni & Joan in Issa & Molly.