Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Amanda Diva still a cutey

Why am I just now realizing that is who that is playing Issa's friend :ohhh:

Definitely one of the best episodes of the show :ehh:. Props to them for building up the characters in a short time, so when major shyt goes down like it did tonight you feel it :wow:

"Who's Daniel?" :mjcry:

"You fukked that nikka?" :damn:

Props to Lawrence for leaving the place and not even putting hands on Issa. Just when he got the job too he found out some ish like this :francis:. I have a feeling he might not even take it, and go back to trying to get his company off the ground.

Molly is a mess, first time u get the couch and Cookie Crisp. 2nd time though :stopitslime:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show went the opposite of Atlanta for me. Started out weak, then got stronger as it went on (I felt like Atlanta regressed in quality as it went on, I also didn't like how they basically ignored important plot points and continuity). This was the best episode of the season, that argument between Molly and Issa was like watching a ruthless rap battle, just punch after punch from both of them. I was :damn:watching that shyt. And then the ending scene with Lawrence :wow:

I gotta give props to Issa for not being afraid to show such flawed characters. Usually with shows that appeal to a middle class black audience, there's a pressure to make them as perfect as possible but ultimately it dampers our ability to relate to them. Can't wait for the finale

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Very good episode....Some really gorgeous shots of LA as the sun set over the city, and the party in general, not at all usual in a 30 min dramedy. Loved the aftermath of a party, in the quiet kind of reflection that can come in those moments, punctuated by her bosses praise. I liked how the episode got darker and darker, as the night wore on, the way parties do, and when it's all over, Lawerence is basically at home in the dark, by himself, just before emotional angst is revealed all around. Molly drinking by herself, before their vicious argument, behind the catering truck was a tense, ugly moment....Anyone else remember parties in the neighborhoods when you were young, sneaking off to the side and drinking alcohol you stole, as the adults grew drunker by the hour? Not that I was in parties upscale Baldwin Hill homes, just the feeling of escaping the party, as a child, reminded me of Molly's scene. ''

Esp. liked how they personified the stigma of therapy, and how it's viewed societally, in many circles. Molly, quietly was impressed by her friend's choice, and knows it's something she could benefit from, but she runs it by Issa, and is reassured at first, how they discuss it dismissively. Then, offended, when Issa offers a more personal opinion. As someone whose told a few women, and friends they should see a therapist, I relate. I have never gotten that kind of angered reaction, (though, strong pushback for sure) but clearly there's more to their issues then that. When talking about therapy it's important to stress that it's beneficial for everyone. Ideally, everyone should go. There is this incredibly stupid stigma based on fear, ignorance, perceived strength...."I am a strong person" (translate: I repress my emotions and binge drink to cope) how many women do I know like that? And the worst is they prefer it.

Molly is clearly spiraling, showing up again at Jared's house, she's hurting and reeling from emotional pain, I wonder where the show goes with that. Daniel showing up at the party is a little contrived, given his persona is a little less clingy, or that's how the character has been written. The ending scenes at Issa's were well done, Lawerence, also deals with this in an immature manner, he showed he's not a doormat, sure, but he also showed he lacks conflict resolution skills. Though, in the moment he may just be too unstable and angry. People in general need to be more mature, and less emotion driven, which I think the show has highlighted several times. I think last week I mention Issa's inability to communicate maturely with Daniel would lead to conflict.

-"When I grow up I want a drawer full of batteries"

-"Or do you...object....girl please"

“Excuse me, I think I see a child left behind,”

Last edited:

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
A lot of great emotion captured cinematically. Episode was a strong gateway to the finale. I see Larry and Issa finding themselves while being aprt, then eventually coming back together, but you can build up to that with the ground work that's been laid this season.

Hopefully Issa used protection bangin Daniel...

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Very good episode....Some really gorgeous shots of LA as the sun set over the city, and the party in general, not at all usual in a 30 min dramedy. Loved the aftermath of a party, in the quiet kind of reflection that can come in those moments, punctuated by her bosses praise. I liked how the episode got darker and darker, as the night wore on, the way parties do, and when it's all over, Lawerence is basically at home in the dark, by himself, just before emotional angst is revealed all around. Molly drinking by herself, before their vicious argument, behind the catering truck was a tense, ugly moment....Anyone else remember parties in the neighborhoods when you were young, sneaking off to the side and drinking alcohol you stole, as the adults grew drunker by the hour? Not that I was in parties upscale Baldwin Hill homes, just the feeling of escaping the party, as a child, reminded me of Molly's scene. ''

Esp. liked how they personified the stigma of therapy, and how it's viewed societally, in many circles. Molly, quietly was impressed by her friend's choice, and knows it's something she could benefit from, but she runs it by Issa, and is reassured at first, how they discuss it dismissively. Then, offended, when Issa offers a more personal opinion. As someone whose told a few women, and friends they should see a therapist, I relate. I have never gotten that kind of angered reaction, (though, strong pushback for sure) but clearly there's more to their issues then that. When talking about therapy it's important to stress that it's beneficial for everyone. Ideally, everyone should go. There is this incredibly stupid stigma based on fear, ignorance, perceived strength...."I am a strong person" (translate: I repress my emotions and binge drink to cope) how many women do I know like that? And the worst is they prefer it.

Molly is clearly spiraling, showing up again at Jared's house, she's hurting and reeling from emotional pain, I wonder where the show goes with that. Daniel showing up at the party is a little contrived, given his persona is a little less clingy, or that's how the character has been written. The ending scenes at Issa's were well done, Lawerence, also deals with this in an immature manner, he showed he's not a doormat, sure, but he also showed he lacks conflict resolution skills. Though, in the moment he may just be too unstable and angry. People in general need to be more mature, and less emotion driven, which I think the show has highlighted several times. I think last week I mention Issa's inability to communicate maturely with Daniel would lead to conflict.

I agree with most of this except

Lawerence, also deals with this in an immature manner, he showed he's not a doormat, sure, but he also showed he lacks conflict resolution skills. Though, in the moment he may just be too unstable and angry.

:stopitslime:come on bruh. That was his girl for years, he remained faithful even when the bank teller with the tig ol' bitties was throwing it at him. Then he finds out that not only did she fukk another dude but she lied to him about it and then that same dude showed up at the fundraiser and had a convo with her in front of him. You'd have to be an absolute robot not to go crazy in that situation. Cut Lawrence some slack

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Ha, yeah, I'm an admitted extremely critical person, and I always look to improve anything I can....So, I'll allow Lawerence his emotions, but there is no question there was a better way to handle that, esp. considering how torn up Issa clearly was about it. She wasn't combative or angry, she was ready to talk. But yeah, I've been accused of being extremely impassive, without emotion, which isn't really true, I am just better at controlling and using emotions then most. I have a horrible temper, not the kind people talk about, girls like 'Oh I'll snap on you", but the scathing, cruel, violent kind(whether verbal or non verbal) but I'll rarely let emotions take me there, so hardly anyone will see that, esp over a relationship, though I admit I can't emotionally relate to a long term relationship, or living with someone for years.

* The key to issues like that is analyzing very quickly what the problem is, and what you want from the situation....rapidly. Like how do we fix this? Should we fix it? Do I want to fix it? Wallowing in anger and grief isn't constructive.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Ha, yeah, I'm an admitted extremely critical person, and I always look to improve anything I can....So, I'll allow Lawerence his emotions, but there is no question there was a better way to handle that, esp. considering how torn up Issa clearly was about it. She wasn't combative or angry, she was ready to talk. But yeah, I've been accused of being extremely impassive, without emotion, which isn't really true, I am just better at controlling and using emotions then most. I have a horrible temper, not the kind people talk about, girls like 'Oh I'll snap on you", but the scathing, cruel, violent kind(whether verbal or non verbal) but I'll rarely let emotions take me there, so hardly anyone will see that, esp over a relationship, though I admit I can't emotionally relate to a long term relationship, or living with someone for years.

* The key to issues like that is analyzing very quickly what the problem is, and what you want from the situation....rapidly. Like how do we fix this? Should we fix it? Do I want to fix it? Wallowing in anger and grief isn't constructive.
How was she ready to talk when she only admitted to it after he cornered her? The conversation might have gone differently if she hadn't hid it for long, to the point that he had to come face to face with with the dude, and then ask her himself.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Meaning she wasn't angry with him, there wasn't mutual anger. If she was screaming, hitting him, throwing shyt whatever, acting irrationally, or uncontrollably, leave, by all means. But, she was broken up, ready to talk, wanted forgiveness, or understanding.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch

This show is "Girlfriends" minus two of the girlfriends.

If Lawrence is smart he walks, puts in his work at the new job and then gets his app popping off.