Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
I love it! As I said above Issa is me & I am Issa. From a complicated ass realtionship to misinterpreting little things, I'll be honest and admit I too freestyle when I'm alone( but I will never do it publicly!!). I can't wait til the second episode is up. Will support. #supportblackshows #supportblackwrirters #awkwardblackgirl #insecure
I watched the first episode I cant front it was dope and funny hopefully the involvement of Larry Wilmore will keep it from being :mjpls: but based on her past endeavors its clear that its headed there

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
You a NBW? :scust:
Not sure if she is or not but I suspect :yeshrug:
635935388052716452287007390_giphy-4.gif

Am I a new black woman?? nikka please I'm a memeber of LSA but I'm not there shytting on black men. Matter fact I had to put on the cape last night on the behalf of Midwest black men & tell a user that men are fukk boi's world wide &
It's across all races.

I identify with her cause she is mad weird. Her insecurity kinda mirrors mine. When it comes to people talking shyt about me when they aren't even thing about me.... Yeah that's totally me. Ive always embraced my randomness here. You prolly haven't seen my posts

Edit: oh & growing up even as an adult (idk of this is across the board for all dark skinned girls) have been called 'African' as an insult.

Last edited:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I watched the first 15 mins and it was decent but I've so many comedy shows with this look and feel I just couldn't get into it.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
As I said before I was ready to support the web series until I read that she ended up wenching with a Cac over a brotha so I never bothered. I do want to support more people of color being in charge of their own creative representations and output however I will NOT support the continued representation of black men as thugs, fags, or ambition-less lazy morons. Just look at the description for the male lead

Ellis plays Lawrence, Issa’s depressed and unemployed boyfriend who has been getting his act together for four years

:martin:

Again I'll check it out based upon wanting to support a black woman but if the black male turns out to another stereotype I'm out:camby:

It's actually good, nothing to take serious. Her other show, First, is PHENOMENAL

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
PREDICTABLE BLACK FEMINIST..

Natural Hair - Check
CAC love interest - Check
Built like Corporate Rock - Check
Blatantly or subliminally shyt on Black men - Check
Uses terms like "awkward" or "alternative" - Check
Faux Intellectual - Check

awkward-still-5x3.png

Hurry up and create another...
img-thing

..So another Dark skinned Black girl can claim to be "awkward" and do the same thing. Create the thing you envy the most :mjlol: and complain about them taking over the natural hair community or whatever concoction of bendwenchery yall participate in. I see you, I believe in you.

1rrr60.jpg

Issa in 20 years...
4udqbt.jpg

So what is your suggestion for stepping out of the box. One of the main complaints about Love & Hip Hop is that there's too many stereotypical black caricatures. What would you like to see more of?

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
@Milk N Cookies

Ok I saw the 1st episode and it was better than I thought it was gonna be. I was pleasantly surprised.
I liked the humor; Issa looked good in that skirt :whew:

I will say the other girl was kinda :mjpls:talking about BM while at the same time
fukking with an Arab

The club scene was nice too. The show seems well produced so far

I'll stick around for now

U didn't let me down Ms. Cookies:obama:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just got done watching and I thought it was :trash:. As a man I don't think I can get into this. There's no subtlety or nuance. Her man is literally laying on the couch doing nothing. The kids tell you she talks white and her hair being natural is abnormal in the first minute. They just beat you over the head with those points. I don't even care about the stereotypes or if she dates a white dude late. The jokes just didn't hit. The dialog was weak:

"bytch you still mad?"
"bytch you still tripping?"

:comeon:

Atlanta raised the bar and this show just isn't there in terms of quality. I expect more from an HBO show.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I just got done watching and I thought it was :trash:. As a man I don't think I can get into this. There's no subtlety or nuance. Her man is literally laying on the couch doing nothing. The kids tell you she talks white and her hair being natural is abnormal in the first minute. They just beat you over the head with those points. I don't even care about the stereotypes or if she dates a white dude late. The jokes just didn't hit. The dialog was weak:

"bytch you still mad?"
"bytch you still tripping?"

:comeon:

Atlanta raised the bar and this show just isn't there in terms of quality. I expect more from an HBO show.

Yeah I can't do shows where nuance and just basic human tact is thrown out the window, like even the most hood kids don't act that bold(but that would require a discussion about the problematic ways Black middle class writers portray poor Black people). Atlanta's "white guying saying nicca"scenes were some of the best scenes I've seen on TV because of how well it was setup throughout 3 different scenes showing the nuances of white/black interactions. That type of scene will more than likely never be seen on Insecure.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I can't do shows where nuance and just basic human tact is thrown out the window, like even the most hood kids don't act that bold(but that would require a discussion about the problematic ways Black middle class writers portray poor Black people). Atlanta's "white guying saying nicca"scenes were some of the best scenes I've seen on TV because of how well it was setup throughout 3 different scenes showing the nuances of white/black interactions. That type of scene will more than likely never be seen on Insecure.

I was going to mention that exact point. They didn't tell you they showed you. Insecure explains everything instead of letting interactions tell the story.